Ranger Wildtrak or L200 Barbarian

steve d

Im starting a new job in a months time, choice of vehicles are a Transit Custom van, Ranger or L200. Ive had a van for 20 years, mainly because theyre bloody handy, but theyre very limited when doubling as shooting transport. Ive lost count of the times ive had to dig out a front wheel drive Vivaro with a ton of tools in the back and thats just from under the oak tree at the entrance to the farm!

So now im thinking of getting a proper truck instead of a van. No doubt it wont be as practical as a van for work(fridge engineer), but i can live with that.

Im leaning towards the L200 Barbarian after the limited research ive done, but do like the look of the Ranger.

Any real world reviews, issues or opinions from the PW massive? 

Cheers

I would say try to get a demo one to try of each as then you can compare them better than a 15 minute test drive.

we had a wild track on demo and it certainly drove and felt agricultural to say the least especially the gearbox.

I went from a Vivaro van to a Hilux. The main difference was the load area, but i found with the Van i would use it as a tool store, so didn't have that much space in the back anyway and if the van was a 2+2 there would have been even less.  I used to get about the same mileage from the van with a few ton of tools etc in the back! The Hilux is more like a car, with the four/five seats and is excellent for taking the family on holiday, don't have to worry about packing the suitcases in the back and also drives/feels like a car. I put a long roof rack on the Hillux so i can carry 8 x 4 sheets on top and to be honest don't really notice the difference in load space. And of course the 4wd was great in the recent snow and as a shooting vehicle. one thing i didn't realise was the Hilux is  about the same length as the van was!

46 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

My pal has got the ranger, a real nice bit of kit. What he hadn't factored in was the addition cost of 10 litres of ad blue diesel additive every 500 miles or so. 

Geez that seems excessive, a colleague and I thought getting 4000 miles per 10 litres of adblue in our vw transporters was poor! 

10 hours ago, Pistol p said:

My pal has got the ranger, a real nice bit of kit. What he hadn't factored in was the addition cost of 10 litres of ad blue diesel additive every 500 miles or so. 

There’s something wrong with it if it’s using that much, he should be doing 4000-6000 miles on a 20 litre fill up. 

I think some of the top spec wildtrac's can be too heavy to be classd as a dual purpose vehicle and classed as light goods so lower speed limits (althouto be fair the same as ur van)

Worth checking out in detail, just in case.

I think u'd have to be very un;lucky to be caught speeding because of it but possibly some of those new speed cameras might pick up on it if reading ur plate

On 18/03/2018 at 08:13, picardy said:

Have a demo in the the Isuzu pal , great truck , ATB 

Would love to, but its Ranger or L200 as its what the firm supply.

Consensus of online "independant" reviews seems to be that the Mitsi is better even with the smaller lump.

On 20/03/2018 at 09:51, BrowningDJC said:

A wildtrak has to comply with commercial speed limits as said 

As does the Limited unfortunately, about 50kg over I think from memory when I bought mine. Mitsubishi was the other choice but they can’t tow 3500kg (at that point in time anyway) and I found it less comfortable than the Ranger but slightly more economical. 

11 months on and 16000 trouble free miles I’m still happy with my choice.