Beginning of the end?

JBS

3 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

I have not shot a pigeon since 2016 this is when  my local game dealer stopped trading and my nearest in the next county would not take fresh pigeons   .Pigeons are good meat and should not be wasted of left  for foxes  it now seems that supply is bigger than demand . If a close season for pigeon  came about it might change things but it would not suit the farmer .

Feltwad

Its a bit odd more dont simply breast out the birds and stick the meat in the freezer, surely restaurants would be more interested in buying them [i know i would] or freeze them for dog food ! 

I was going g to let this and some other similar comments in this thread slide as we’ve done this topic before, but it always seems to come back to this particular issue. 

We shoot pigeons whether we have an outlet for them or not. Despite being challenging to shoot and good to eat, they are a pest/vermin species, so unless their categorisation changes to wild game then I can’t think why there would be a closed season for them.

If a landowner asks us to shoot them, we shoot them. For us to tell him we won’t shoot them because we don’t have an outlet for them would mean we would find ourselves without that particular land to shoot onas the landowner would simply get someone else to do it.

If you find this unpalatable then don’t do it, but think before you criticise others who do.

54 minutes ago, Scully said:

I was going g to let this and some other similar comments in this thread slide as we’ve done this topic before, but it always seems to come back to this particular issue. 

We shoot pigeons whether we have an outlet for them or not. Despite being challenging to shoot and good to eat, they are a pest/vermin species, so unless their categorisation changes to wild game then I can’t think why there would be a closed season for them.

If a landowner asks us to shoot them, we shoot them. For us to tell him we won’t shoot them because we don’t have an outlet for them would mean we would find ourselves without that particular land to shoot onas the landowner would simply get someone else to do it.

If you find this unpalatable then don’t do it, but think before you criticise others who do.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Feltwad said:

I have not shot a pigeon since 2016 this is when  my local game dealer stopped trading and my nearest in the next county would not take fresh pigeons   .Pigeons are good meat and should not be wasted of left  for foxes  it now seems that supply is bigger than demand . If a close season for pigeon  came about it might change things but it would not suit the farmer .

Feltwad

Whereabouts are you feltwad? 

Why do all the pigeon shooters rely on the game dealer to take there shot pigeons ? , alright , if we are talking about shooters getting constant large bags then yes the dealers are the quickest way to move them on , but to be honest there isn't that many who can do that, maybe a handful on the forum would be about it , the rest of us would fill a freezer up two or three times a year and then take them to a dealer who buys frozen pigeons.

We have got a pub and a hotel on the estate where I shoot most of my pigeons , last year the head chef got in touch with me when I was shooting peas that were about two inches high and asked if I could supply him with thirty pigeons as they advertise there meals using local produce , I took him 30 in the mid week and by the end of the weekend he had used the lot , he then rang me up saying he could take up to 40 a week , with me being retired I could get them most weeks and with having a big fridge freezer in the garage I could put small bags in until the day I take them and some weeks I might get 50 odd , so I would take 40 and if I only shot 30 that week I would then have 10 left over from the week before and by keeping them in a fridge they were still fresh.

This went on throughout the summer and they took 40 a week for 16 weeks , when I asked him if they were selling alright he told me one Saturday night they sold 16 pigeon meals , they also done pigeon pies and pigeon terrine .

So I am sure most of the pigeon shooters also  have a pub or restaurant nearby that sell meals , maybe by getting in touch with them you might find a instant outlet for most of your modest bags .  

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Why do all the pigeon shooters rely on the game dealer to take there shot pigeons ? , alright , if we are talking about shooters getting constant large bags then yes the dealers are the quickest way to move them on , but to be honest there isn't that many who can do that, maybe a handful on the forum would be about it , the rest of us would fill a freezer up two or three times a year and then take them to a dealer who buys frozen pigeons.

We have got a pub and a hotel on the estate where I shoot most of my pigeons , last year the head chef got in touch with me when I was shooting peas that were about two inches high and asked if I could supply him with thirty pigeons as they advertise there meals using local produce , I took him 30 in the mid week and by the end of the weekend he had used the lot , he then rang me up saying he could take up to 40 a week , with me being retired I could get them most weeks and with having a big fridge freezer in the garage I could put small bags in until the day I take them and some weeks I might get 50 odd , so I would take 40 and if I only shot 30 that week I would then have 10 left over from the week before and by keeping them in a fridge they were still fresh.

This went on throughout the summer and they took 40 a week for 16 weeks , when I asked him if they were selling alright he told me one Saturday night they sold 16 pigeon meals , they also done pigeon pies and pigeon terrine .

So I am sure most of the pigeon shooters also  have a pub or restaurant nearby that sell meals , maybe by getting in touch with them you might find a instant outlet for most of your modest bags .  

Exactly. MM great stuff, Thats what i was talking about when i suggested breasting out, it would be much easier for the trade to deal with and less bulky to freeze. Deal direct to the restaurants !

At the risk of being boring , I pay £5 a kg for chicken fillet and would much rather be putting pigeon or pheasant [in season] in my pies than chicken from Holland or Rumania whatever,

As Ive said before, it cost about £ 8 to send a parcel overnight delivery for up to 20kg , [i think],  so if anyone interested contact me 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Diffidently not criticising  I do not think that good meat should be wasted to me the trouble lies with the end product and poor advertising .

Feltwad

4 hours ago, Scully said:

I agree entirely and I often wonder what the same shooters do if they shoot a rook, crow, rat, fox or any other vermin on the General Licence.

It probably varies by location , but I have always found restaurants and similar outlets reluctant to take shot pigeons, as suppliers of food/meat are supposed to have some food handling qualification/licence, or something similar. I naturally have nothing like that.

I've always breasted the birds out and frozen them. Can get hundreds in a freezer draw ready for whatever I want to put them in. Occasionally swap a few with a bloke at work for a nice bottle of red. 

Never had an issue getting rid of pigeon breasts or finding space to store them.  

Pubs and restaurants

Selling directly to pubs and restaurants will always bring the best price, which reflects the price at which they are able to sell a pigeon salad, for example. They generally expect the birds to be dressed but may require it delivered in different forms — for example, breasts, breasts with skin on, whole crowns or complete birds. They will tell you what they want. It’s great to go to a restaurant to which you have supplied pigeon and see the result of your efforts on the menu.

Read more at http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/pigeon-shooting/where-to-sell-your-woodpigeon-53417#KkBmWPjR86brYZtG.99

Had a look for licences for selling dressed pigeon but couldnt find any references, my kitchen has been passed by the food hygiene people, and I do a fair few rabbits with their knowledge, I did find this link above which might help 

I should add that one supermarket were selling breast fillet for £28 a kg

Edited by islandgun

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Pubs and restaurants

Selling directly to pubs and restaurants will always bring the best price, which reflects the price at which they are able to sell a pigeon salad, for example. They generally expect the birds to be dressed but may require it delivered in different forms — for example, breasts, breasts with skin on, whole crowns or complete birds. They will tell you what they want. It’s great to go to a restaurant to which you have supplied pigeon and see the result of your efforts on the menu.

Read more at http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/pigeon-shooting/where-to-sell-your-woodpigeon-53417#KkBmWPjR86brYZtG.99

Had a look for licences for selling dressed pigeon but couldnt find any references, my kitchen has been passed by the food hygiene people, and I do a fair few rabbits with their knowledge, I did find this link above which might help 

I should add that one supermarket were selling breast fillet for £28 a kg

The estate itself have got a certificate to sell game , I looked after the building maintenance and got involved in doing the work required , we had an old purpose built brick and flint game larder that had a air flow through the building with mesh windows , so far so good , we then had to change all the pointed nails on the racks into brass or plastic v hooks and space them out so the game didn't touch each other , put stainless steel tables in to put the game on , supply hot water , hand cleaner and towel for anyone who handled the game , we were also asked to put a drain in so we could scrub the pamment floor after we washed down , this we didn't do as we could no longer get the floor tiles if we had needed to replace any , so a sweep with a stiff broom was good enough. 

As for the pigeons , mine go straight in the feather and the staff either de breast or crown them , I charge them the same money as I get off the game dealer which is 30p for fresh pigeons , although I don't make anything extra , it do save me a 80 mile return trip when I empty my freezer and I have a free hand with the pigeon shooting so they are happy and so am I .        

I must admit when my game dealer stopped taking pigeons a year ago, I realised how much I took it for granted that they would just take my birds however big the bag, fresh or frozen.

Since then though I have tried various different avenues and I have found if you try you can generally make sure the birds go to good use. I have recently been giving away birds on sites through social media and it is surprising how many folk are willing to eat Woodpigeon yet have no idea where to find it.

Fair enough I am not getting any cartridge money back for these freebies, but it seems people can't get enough and that can only be good for pigeon shooting surely.

On the up side people who keep hawks are paying decent money for birds shot with steel and I am also finding contact with these folk through social media.

On 11/03/2018 at 21:43, Benthejockey said:

I’ll always take pigeons. Lead shot or steel. Just not blown to pieces. Preferably fresh but I’d take frozen as well. And pretty much as many as you’ve got. 

Ben where in Shrewsbury are you ? This would be handy to know because my only current option for pigeon is Eccleshall butchers. Also do you take rabbits ?  

11 minutes ago, aga man said:

I must admit when my game dealer stopped taking pigeons a year ago, I realised how much I took it for granted that they would just take my birds however big the bag, fresh or frozen.

Since then though I have tried various different avenues and I have found if you try you can generally make sure the birds go to good use. I have recently been giving away birds on sites through social media and it is surprising how many folk are willing to eat Woodpigeon yet have no idea where to find it.

Fair enough I am not getting any cartridge money back for these freebies, but it seems people can't get enough and that can only be good for pigeon shooting surely.

On the up side people who keep hawks are paying decent money for birds shot with steel and I am also finding contact with these folk through social media.

Like you aga man we have always relied on the game dealers to take our surplus pigeons and apart from the ones I sell private I still take any frozen ones up to our nearest dealer which is just over forty miles away . we normally make it a day out rather than go all that way just to offload my pigeons , the last lot of frozen ones I took were last September when the Sandringham game fair was on , we dropped them off first thing in the morning at Watton and then cut across the county to the fair .

I have been dealing with Bambridge of Watton for a number of years and never had any trouble getting rid of them , the price have been pretty stable with fresh ones making 30p and frozen 25p and both my freezers hold around 350 and I wouldn't normally take less than 300 .