Range Rover

harrycatcat1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, inthedark said:

I've got a range rover, and if you buy one feel free to PM me when it breaks down - I don't mind hearing an adult cry, and I'll probably have had the problem you'll get

Is that why people that have them don't like to pull over on ghe grass verge on narrow roads and sit there until  someone in a 2 seater sports car decides life is too short for thr pillock in the RR to do anything and  tries to negotiate a ditch on their side.

The number of times it happens on the way to or leaving some shooting grounds is staggering.  

Range rovers must be very fragile. 

pal of mine bought  a new 2012 RR.

6000 miles gearbox packed up-replaced under warranty 

14000 miles engine packed up-replaced under warranty.

had each unit been out of warranty you'd be looking at 15-20000 grand to put right.

his response was.............'you buy a RR knowing its going to go wrong'

my response..............'you need your head looking at'.

drove a few and loved them, especially a overfinch 5.0 petrol...........but sanity prevails.

f.

9 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

The first and only thing I require from a car is reliability!......the rest is a luxury!

Mmmmmm I think i have been spoilt with well over 200,000 miles out of two Mercedes without any major problems and very few other problems. I think it will have to be either another ML or a VW touareg. 

I just thought, wrongly, that "they can't be as bad as folk make out" but it seems that the consensus is "leave em alone"

Thanks to those who have took the trouble to comment so far. 

dont get me wrong I lurve RR's

I had a 3.5 V8 sadly 220 miles to a tank.yes 220.

then a 3.9 classic with a soft dash and on lpg-more electrical gremlins than i could stand.

had a landcruiser for 13 years and 85,000 miles without any major drama's.

but if you've got that itch, you're gonna have to scratch it.

buy one,run it for year, hopefully out it before you or your lady wife have to sell a kidney then sit back and consider the alternatives.

f.

2 hours ago, Paul1440 said:

Is that why people that have them don't like to pull over on ghe grass verge on narrow roads and sit there until  someone in a 2 seater sports car decides life is too short for thr pillock in the RR to do anything and  tries to negotiate a ditch on their side.

The number of times it happens on the way to or leaving some shooting grounds is staggering.  

What? :/   Did you have a bad day?

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Oh dear its not sounding good for the range rover experience. I thought that a gurgling V8 might be nice but if its going to be ultra unreliable then I may have to pass. What are the main things that go wrong?

Pick any part, it's probably got the propensity to fail :yes:

Build quality and paint is better on the earlier models - best when BMW owned - if I had to recommend one it would be an 06 Diesel, in 06 Ford bought the marque then sold to TATA in 08 - quality seems to have slipped as the years have gone by. Don't think BMW really wanted RR they only bought them to get their hands on  Mini. 

I have had two before years ago once in the 70's and one as a second car early 2000. They were both old V8's and the second one had an LPG conversion and the only thing went wrong was a clutch cylinder. 

Ah well the dream is shattered but better to find out before i bought one and suffered financial losses.

Thanks again for your advice.

19 hours ago, Paul1440 said:

And while we're stereotyping, if you'd left your boyfriends 2 seater outside the hairdressers where it belongs, us RR drivers wouldn't have to concern ourselves with inadvertently parking on it in the Countryside, would we?

1 hour ago, inthedark said:

And while we're stereotyping, if you'd left your boyfriends 2 seater outside the hairdressers where it belongs, us RR drivers wouldn't have to concern ourselves with inadvertently parking on it in the Countryside, would we?

Ha,    How ironic,  Coming from from a wannabe cheshire housewife i'lI bet. 

On 3/11/2018 at 15:09, harrycatcat1 said:

IF just IF I was thinking of buying a 10,11 or 12 plate Range Rover is it possible to buy some sort of warranty to protect myself against big mechanical breakdowns or is it lots of smaller niggly things that go wrong.

Strangely enough ,a friend of mine mentioned this yesterday, he has a 12 plate Vogue, bought  2nd hand from the main dealer 4 years ago.
When the manufacturers warranty ran out, he took an extended Land Rover warranty out, all singing , all dancing ! at £1600 per year.
Its been claimed on extensively, suspension, gearbox,corrosion, electrical, you name it, its still only done 50,000 miles.

However last month, it developed a fault with its collision detection radar gizmo behind the front grill.
Puts a light on the dash sometimes, but nothing serious.
My friend is meticulous, if his car needs work ,it goes to the dealer, he pays at least £1000 per year to them for services, they have told him the car has been in a collision, and that has caused the fault.
Despite no apparent damage, and without a detailed inspection, for which they want £300, (thats just to look at it !)
He is adamant he hasnt bumped it, and I can see no evidence to suggest otherwise, but they are firm in their decision.

I personally think its disgusting.
The attitude towards a big spending customer.
The fact it needed all those items replacing on £100 k motor after 5 years.
Plus the fact, that you pay for a warranty on a prestige car, and they try to wriggle out of it for the sake of £300.
Strongly worded emails have been sent, but Ive told him to vote with his feet.
He says hed never buy another one.

Funny how you get all these people slagging them off.

and prob 90% of these people haven't been in one never mind owned one.

iv had a few Range Rover vogues and can say they are very good. as long as you service them to the book they are pretty reliable. Yes the brake down but all cars do.

the tdv8 is the best engine in my opinion.

engines and gearboxs failing at 14000 miles is rubbish.

7 minutes ago, leadbreakfast said:

Funny how you get all these people slagging them off.

and prob 90% of these people haven't been in one never mind owned one.

iv had a few Range Rover vogues and can say they are very good. as long as you service them to the book they are pretty reliable. Yes the brake down but all cars do.

the tdv8 is the best engine in my opinion.

engines and gearboxs failing at 14000 miles is rubbish.

Yes, my pal just imagined the whole ordeal-it never happened, total make belief and as you say, rubbish.

f.