Range Rover

harrycatcat1

3 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Have had 2 Q7'sfrom new,  which have been faultless. now time to change so got the garage routine this weekend to look forward too narrowed down to the Cayenne, Q7, GLD, Q7 and Range Rover Sport. Have always wanted the RR and only because of the attitude of the dealership on the last 2 occasions has stopped me taking one. Like everyone else though it seems like every other RR is built on a Friday afternoon. It's a massive bug bear the fact you buy one and spend the next 6 months driving a courtesy car more than you own!

Then every now and again you get an owner who has 5 in a row and never had a spot of bother!

To take the plunge or not?????

The son of the bloke who owns an industrial estate in my home town had a Q7 or 8...one of those big jobbies. Nothing wrong with it all as far as I'm aware, but he always coveted his fathers V8 Vogue which was on lease. The son now owns it. Big ugly slab sided thing it is, but sounds wonderful. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son in law loves them and has always had a new one . His advice is never own one out of warranty . When he went to pick his latest one up they couldn’t get it started .  Brand new car ,it had to be pushed into the work shop and they found something wrong with the keyless entry thingy . 

Harnser

22 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Have had 2 Q7'sfrom new,  which have been faultless. now time to change so got the garage routine this weekend to look forward too narrowed down to the Cayenne, Q7, GLD, Q7 and Range Rover Sport. Have always wanted the RR and only because of the attitude of the dealership on the last 2 occasions has stopped me taking one. Like everyone else though it seems like every other RR is built on a Friday afternoon. It's a massive bug bear the fact you buy one and spend the next 6 months driving a courtesy car more than you own!

Then every now and again you get an owner who has 5 in a row and never had a spot of bother!

To take the plunge or not?????

I go for for Cayenne with air suspension, they are the nicest 4x4 I have driven and was lucky enough to own a GTS for a while .

On 12/03/2018 at 00:12, bruno22rf said:

Build quality and paint is better on the earlier models - best when BMW owned - if I had to recommend one it would be an 06 Diesel, in 06 Ford bought the marque then sold to TATA in 08 - quality seems to have slipped as the years have gone by. Don't think BMW really wanted RR they only bought them to get their hands on  Mini. 

BMW have never owned Range Rover. It was Ford before Tata. BMW bought the Rolls Royce mark but not the factory which was sold to Volkswagen/Audi  with the Bentley mark. Bentley had the production centre and tooling and built Rolls Royce for BMW until BMW built their new centre at Goodwood for their new model.

10 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Rover Group, including Land Rover were taken over by BMW in 1994 - 2nd series of Range Rover was introduced then according to Wiki. 2002 -2006 vehicles run on BMW engines.

Correct...not only that but the Range Rover Vogue L322 2002 to 2012 was designed by BMW engineers in Munich.

On 15/03/2018 at 13:34, norfolk dumpling said:

Have driven several and would love to own one but the problem we seem to have in this part of the world is dealerships which are as poor as the electrics on these wonderful motors. A mate, who runs a commercial repair biz has had several newish Landrovers (Sport, Vogue, Discos) but refuses to use our main dealerships. I took a courtesy vehicle, a new Disco 5, to a RR owner who was awaiting a new engine after one of those main dealers forgot to put oil in his vehicle following the first service! Saw the same person again when the gearbox had to be replaced too. As someone said earlier OK to own if you buy with a long warranty otherwise expect a life of grief and expenditure.

Buy a good low mileage second hand RR and locate an independent Land Rover repair shop, there are quite a few around. They have the LR tooling, diagnostic software, software updates and access to LR tech support. These guys really know their stuff as it is there main business and very often they are LR enthusiasts. When I lived in the Midlands I found one about 15 miles from where I lived, now I have moved to Herefordshire I'm about 3 miles away from one.

On 11/03/2018 at 15:09, harrycatcat1 said:

IF just IF I was thinking of buying a 10,11 or 12 plate Range Rover is it possible to buy some sort of warranty to protect myself against big mechanical breakdowns or is it lots of smaller niggly things that go wrong.

Luck of the draw , mine has had a few small niggles . Cheaper to fix yourself with the proper diagnostic gear . Hers is fairly new and not been back to the dealers once .

If you want one , get one . 

Funny that for all the negative stuff said about them there seems to be an awful lot of them on the road - somehow still working .

And when you do get one , when you meet some nugget on a back road who EXPECTS you to leapoff their road so their little sporty number doesn't have to go on the grass just sit and smile at them .

Edited by cuffy
Tourettes finger

22 minutes ago, cuffy said:

Luck of the draw , mine has had a few small niggles . Cheaper to fix yourself with the proper diagnostic gear . Hers is fairly new and not been back to the dealers once .

If you want one , get one . 

Funny that for all the negative stuff said about them there seems to be an awful lot of them on the road - somehow still working .

And when you do get one , when you meet some nugget on a back road who EXPECTS you to leapoff their road so their little sporty number doesn't have to go on the grass just sit and smile at them .

Now now they're not all nuggets you know, my dad was taking me home in his Dmax after feeding up on a shoot and as we drove round a bend on a country lane I could see a nice shiny sports car heading towards us at pace in the near distance. As we both drew nearer to each other the guy suddenly pulled in where he could and waited so my dad put his hand up to say thanks and carried on, I asked my dad out of curiosity how he knew the chap would stop and he simply smiled and said, "because there's no way he was going to risk scratching that Porsche". :lol: