a big thank you to walker 570

mel b3

well i received a message from nev last week , saying that he would be dropping a parcel off at the good ladys parents house , i was intrigued as to what it could be , but had to wait until the following day when my good lady visited her folks . well i was gobsmacked when her good self opened the parcel , nev had only dropped off one of his fantastic handmade knives , with an etched blade , and cracking leather sheath.

im absolutely chuffed to bits nev , thank you very much mate , it was a totally unexpected , but , very very nice surprise.

im very very lucky , as i get very spoiled with things that my very generous pigeon watch friends give to me.

20180308_142358.jpg

20180308_142414.jpg

As I said to Mel, it wasn't my best stitching but it was my first go at making one of these 'pancake' type sheaths. Mel still has to borrow a punch of Linda and cut the slots as I did not have that 1/4 inch size.  The leather was what Linda donated for the auction knife but I was a bit doubtful as to how it would block so used some slightly heavier leather for that. Thought using this for a sheath and then as I always say ..nice people get nice presents ... this little knife has been sat in my knife draw for a number of years and needed to see light of day and who better than Mel.  The blade is O1 steel. I had a sliver left over and thought of this crazy shape and it came out quite nice.  Linen micarta handle, hollow brass pins. 

The leather actually blocked out very well.

NOW we need to see a piece of metal fettled by you Mel.

Edited by Walker570

34 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

As I said to Mel, it wasn't my best stitching but it was my first go at making one of these 'pancake' type sheaths. Mel still has to borrow a punch of Linda and cut the slots as I did not have that 1/4 inch size.  The leather was what Linda donated for the auction knife but I was a bit doubtful as to how it would block so used some slightly heavier leather for that. Thought using this for a sheath and then as I always say ..nice people get nice presents ... this little knife has been sat in my knife draw for a number of years and needed to see light of day and who better than Mel.  The blade is O1 steel. I had a sliver left over and thought of this crazy shape and it came out quite nice.  Linen micarta handle, hollow brass pins. 

i cant wait to nev , ill be building myself a simple forge as soon as i have time , the forge is currently number 437 on my list of things to do :lol:.

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

What a great gesture. Good on you. :good:

P.S. I'm nice. :)

I use a fine paint brush and with nail varnish I draw the pattern leaving areas exposed. I then lower that part of the blade into prepared salt water with a steel rod in one side attached to the negative of a battery charger and the positive to the handle of the knife. Switch on and count to about 30 to 40 seconds according to how deep you want the etch. Switch off , wash off and then with nail varnish remover clean the blade and polish ..heh presto !!    You can also put on lettering with stick on letters or draw a design/picture with a needle having covered the whole blade with nail varnish, where you scratch the varnish away the etch will take place.  See the Auction knife that is how I put on the snowdrops.

Not easy to get a good phot but this blade was engraved through a layer of spray paint, then the picture of the wild boar drawn with a fine needle and hoepfully you can see just how fine a line you can etch with this simple system.  An old blade and done a bit of work.

2018-03-11 21.19.22 (800x507).jpg

Edited by Walker570

11 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Stunning , work , a fantastic gift . Its great to read these types of threads . Loads better than people having a " pop"  at each other .think this is my favorite part of the forum .

Yep! but this forum wouldn't be such a vibrant place if all we did was mutual backslapping! :innocent: we can all learn from others opinions, the secret is even if you can't agree, don't allow the debate to get personal.

Very nice gesture Walker570..... good on ya!