Easy Hit Shotgun sight

Arley

I started with lessons and then got them for both my guns. Then I went on a trip with Richard Mumford, a coach at Bisley who encouraged me to shoot without any bead. It took only a morning to get used to it :good:The easy hit is sitting in the drawer.

Still don't get the problem of shooting off the "wrong" shoulder so as to use the dominant hand.  In th ecase of th eoriginal poster this would allow th eperson to shoot right handed and this will widen their choice of shotguns. The choice is restricted for lefties. I know left dominant eye in my case.

David.

8 hours ago, Kalahari said:

Still don't get the problem of shooting off the "wrong" shoulder so as to use the dominant hand.  In th ecase of th eoriginal poster this would allow th eperson to shoot right handed and this will widen their choice of shotguns. The choice is restricted for lefties. I know left dominant eye in my case.

David.

Dominant eye I guess?

Thank you for the replies.

He is left handed in everything he does and struggles to shoot right handed. Should have said in my original post he is nearly 19 years old.

He wears glasses and shoots with a patch over his right eye and he shoots well I was just thinking an easy sight fitted would be a quick fix.

He used the red dot system and it worked ok but he lost the them when out shooting a couple of months ago.

I'm left handed, but right eye dominant. Bought the easyhit thinking it would fix the problem, but with 32" barrels I could see the orange spot with both eyes. 

Just bought a knockoff of the easyhit px200 and it's superb. Chinese knockoff on eBay, look for holographic shotgun sight. 15 quid, spoken about here elsewhere, very impressed.

IMG-20180218-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20180218-WA0006.jpeg

3 hours ago, Salopian said:

Anyone notice the Easyhit sight in the above photograph is fitted backwards?

Not if you look at it from the other end! :) I THINK I can see in theory what these aids are supposed to achieve, but in practise I can't see it at all, especially to aid a master eye issue. 

Beads of any type only serve the purpose of aiding the mount as far as I'm aware, and you don't need to buy one to practise this; the existing ones will serve perfectly well. Once you have trained yourself to mount the gun in the same place consistently, 100% of your concentration should be on the target and the barrels are only a blurry peripheral image which shouldn't even register. As examples, a snooker player doesn't concentrate on the cue anymore than a golfer does his club; a footballer his foot, a darts player his hand or a cricketer his bat.  Their undivided attention is on the target. You don't look at your hands when catching a ball. 

Master eye issues can be helped by a good coach; a BASC one told my nephew to pick up the target with both eyes and then close the offending one just before he shoots. It seemed to work well for him. 

There are tips and instruction, but there are no short cuts or miracle cures I'm afraid; like everything else worth doing it entails practise practise and more practise of GOOD technique. In my opinion all these gimmicks are supposed to do is separate us from our money; if they worked we'd all be using them. 

There are a few products that can help with eye dominance problems and the cheapest and very often most effective is exactly as Scully describes, keep both eyes open and then dim one once the target is acquired.

There are many targets that benefit from that approach even for those without any eye dominance issues, i am thinking slow rabbits and those direct incoming and settling type targets that need rifled.

It might be that your boy would benefit from something like the shotspot (shotspot.co.uk) which is a circular dot that adheres to the inside of your shooting glasses and when positioned properly it blurs the muzzle of the gun for the wrong eye, the theory being that this blurring encourages the clear eye to retain dominance  It is not as obtrusive as having a totally blacked out patch and it's not visible to other people as well should he be a little self conscious about that sort of thing.

It is worth stressing that one of the countries finest game shots, and a very handy clay shooter as well, Dave Carrie is blind in one eye and he seems to manage better than the vast majority.  If your lad is used to shooting with one eye closed then that need not be an impediment to being able to shoot very well indeed.

4 hours ago, Arley said:

Hi Scully,

Thank you for your comment, I have come to the conclusion they are a gimmick.

He struggles to close his right but I think this is the best way forward, if he closes his right eye just before he takes the shot.

You're welcome. As grrclark has stated, those stick on blurs are known to be effective. 

A note maybe of worth to contact users. My optician trialled for me contact lenses which made my shooting eye ( right eye right shoulder for example ) the more dominant one by weakening the strength ever so slightly in the other one. It turns out I'm left eye dominant but shoot right handed too; but it can't be by much as I wasn't aware of it ( until I missed some unmissable incomers one day on the clays ) and it doesn't seem to effect my shooting.

It was his idea and it worked for a while but then I seemed to grow aware of the difference in lens strengths to the point where it eventually began to grate on me, so I've gone back to my normal prescription, but it may work for others. 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

Not if you look at it from the other end!  I THINK I can see in theory what these aids are supposed to achieve, but in practise I can't see it at all, especially to aid a master eye issue. 

Beads of any type only serve the purpose of aiding the mount as far as I'm aware, and you don't need to buy one to practise this; the existing ones will serve perfectly well. Once you have trained yourself to mount the gun in the same place consistently, 100% of your concentration should be on the target and the barrels are only a blurry peripheral image which shouldn't even register. As examples, a snooker player doesn't concentrate on the cue anymore than a golfer does his club; a footballer his foot, a darts player his hand or a cricketer his bat.  Their undivided attention is on the target. You don't look at your hands when catching a ball. 

Master eye issues can be helped by a good coach; a BASC one told my nephew to pick up the target with both eyes and then close the offending one just before he shoots. It seemed to work well for him. 

There are tips and instruction, but there are no short cuts or miracle cures I'm afraid; like everything else worth doing it entails practise practise and more practise of GOOD technique. In my opinion all these gimmicks are supposed to do is separate us from our money; if they worked we'd all be using them. 

Is the correct answer. from Auntie.

On 17/03/2018 at 12:13, Scully said:

Not if you look at it from the other end! :) I THINK I can see in theory what these aids are supposed to achieve, but in practise I can't see it at all, especially to aid a master eye issue. 

This was pretty much the advice that changed my game a few months ago when I heard it in a different thread I created.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2018 at 19:18, Arley said:

Hi Guys,

Do Easy Hit sights work? My son is left handed but got a right master eye and i thought one of these might work?

Would welcome any feedback before I buy one

Thank you

Yes they do work if your doing the clays then a short red one is what you want it's what I have and it doesn't catch your eye as much as the longer ones. You will need a few shoots to get into looking at the clays while having the sight in your Peripheral vision. I use it as I find it easier when shooting with 2 eyes open. Other than that check gun fit gun mount is probably more important unless you shoot gun up ready. Not sure about lessons I learned myself and still learning now. As the instructor can only teach you how to hold the gun in a safe way as lead is seen different to us all. Plus I know 2 people who are having lessons for over a year at coniston and I have to say I think it's money down the pan as they are no better than when they started. Probably like driving lessons some are good others take the pxxs. 

Good luck 

On 01/04/2018 at 08:08, beretta said:

my 2 penneth.    easy hit beads work,  problem is most dont know how or when to use them.   ive used them with a few clients who have master eye problems and ALL  have been successful.  they are NOT a  quick fix and need time.  

Are you going to tell us how they work? 

14 hours ago, Squinting shot said:

Yes they do work if your doing the clays then a short red one is what you want it's what I have and it doesn't catch your eye as much as the longer ones. You will need a few shoots to get into looking at the clays while having the sight in your Peripheral vision. I use it as I find it easier when shooting with 2 eyes open. Other than that check gun fit gun mount is probably more important unless you shoot gun up ready. Not sure about lessons I learned myself and still learning now. As the instructor can only teach you how to hold the gun in a safe way as lead is seen different to us all. Plus I know 2 people who are having lessons for over a year at coniston and I have to say I think it's money down the pan as they are no better than when they started. Probably like driving lessons some are good others take the pxxs. 

Good luck 

A good coach teaches people what they need to know about footwork and how to achieve a good and consistent mount and gun fit, and which techniques they can use such as swing through, maintained lead etc. The shooter then decides through oodles of practise which technique works for them, and how much lead each target requires.