Easy Hit Shotgun sight

Arley

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 08:05, Salopian said:

Anyone notice the Easyhit sight in the above photograph is fitted backwards?

Its fitted the correct way around/it isn't the Easyhit bead being discussed. The one photographed collects the light in the tube then reflects it off the lens to create a red-dot type sight. The Easyhit beads send the collected light back into the eye of the shooter.

1 hour ago, Breastman said:

Its fitted the correct way around/it isn't the Easyhit bead being discussed. The one photographed collects the light in the tube then reflects it off the lens to create a red-dot type sight. The Easyhit beads send the collected light back into the eye of the shooter.

......and then what happens? I’m genuinely interested. 

Then what happens with what? The lens on the sight shown on the photograph focuses the light into a visible dot, so basically a battery-free red-dot, the Easyhit is just highly visible to the eye, it isn't focused onto the eye or anything, it just appears to be a bright bead.

Edited by Breastman

Its for people who use a shotgun sort of like a rifle i.e. using the bead, rather than solely focusing on the clay. I don't know what the method is 'officially' called but I call it maintained lead. i.e. You see the clay and bead at the same time and maintain the same speed as the target, you then just use judgement/experience/dumb luck to guess the required lead.

Personally I use a combination of the two depending on the bird and have decent results, usually top three in my little club. YMMV.

8 hours ago, Scully said:

I see, ok. I just wondered how that helps the shooter hit a target. No one seems willing to describe how it works, that’s all.

It is something that intrigues me too.  I understand the theory is that you are sub consciously aware of the bright bead in your peripheral vision and that encourages the brain to use the image received from that eye.

In practice however I know with myself if that I am ever aware of the bead then a miss is more than likely.

I have often described the barrel in your peripheral vision as being much the same as a car bonnet when your driving.  We see it enough so as to not crash into things, but we never look at it as such when we are driving.  In my analogy the easyhit bead must be like a bonnet ornament, i.e. the gunsight on a Mercedes.

2 hours ago, grrclark said:

It is something that intrigues me too.  I understand the theory is that you are sub consciously aware of the bright bead in your peripheral vision and that encourages the brain to use the image received from that eye.

In practice however I know with myself if that I am ever aware of the bead then a miss is more than likely.

I have often described the barrel in your peripheral vision as being much the same as a car bonnet when your driving.  We see it enough so as to not crash into things, but we never look at it as such when we are driving.  In my analogy the easyhit bead must be like a bonnet ornament, i.e. the gunsight on a Mercedes.

Yes. I've revisited the last post from Breastman several times today since it was posted, but wasn't sure how to respond as I find this answer puzzling. I can understand the theory, but it goes against everything I have learned about shooting a shotgun. I ( or rather my brain ) may be peripherally aware of the barrel of my gun, but to be aware of a bead on that barrel would spell disaster for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have used one in the past and they are great if you shoot off say your right shoulder but are left eye or neutral dominant, only the eye lined up correctly along the rib can see the fiber optic sight down the tube. If you stare past the end of the gun and don't look at it ,it appears as a hazy coloured light in the area your looking at be it sky or against a background in your vision.

Quite hard to explain but when used you would see instantly what i am describing

I have used them for about ten years. They are great in helping you establish whether your gun fits you. Once you have dry practiced a few times, you get to know where your head should be. Once shooting, I have never noticed it at all. I am with figgy and beretta on this.