.410 reloading

I reload all of my fibre 410s using a formula provide by Folkestone Engineering. John there is very helpful.   I purchased a second hand Mec press and had a set of 410 dies for it sent over from the USA.   I found that any shot size over Continental 8s(UK7 1/4?) did not feed well or consistently through the drop tube, so I now use the press for deprime and  resize and re prime. I then measure all of my powders on a scale and fill the cases by hand, then I put in the over shot card & wads and then pour shot( 7s) into the case until it reaches a pre checked point where I know the case will crimp tidy. I then crimp in the press.   This load measures at 18.5grm over a fibre wad and kills consistently and in my Yilditz gives excellent 35yrd patterns.  Check out both Folkestone and Clay & Game for full details.  I have loaded slightly heavier loads but to be honest I cannot see the advantage, if I do my bit and put a bird in the pattern they will kill as clean as any other load.

Initially you are not going to save a huge amount of cash but if prevented from using plastic wads then reloading is the way to go. Those factory fibre wadded shells I have tried don't come close.  I shoot exclusively 410 and normally shoot 15 to 20 driven days a year.

Just checked Clay & Game   £255 new machine.    Nothing came up on ebay uk but lots on ebay.com(USA)

Put a request on here ...trading and you might find one like I did.    £255 is close to 1000 factory shells

That Yilditz still working OK by the way ????

Edited by Walker570

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I reload all of my fibre 410s using a formula provide by Folkestone Engineering. John there is very helpful.   I purchased a second hand Mec press and had a set of 410 dies for it sent over from the USA.   I found that any shot size over Continental 8s(UK7 1/4?) did not feed well or consistently through the drop tube, so I now use the press for deprime and  resize and re prime. I then measure all of my powders on a scale and fill the cases by hand, then I put in the over shot card & wads and then pour shot( 7s) into the case until it reaches a pre checked point where I know the case will crimp tidy. I then crimp in the press.   This load measures at 18.5grm over a fibre wad and kills consistently and in my Yilditz gives excellent 35yrd patterns.  Check out both Folkestone and Clay & Game for full details.  I have loaded slightly heavier loads but to be honest I cannot see the advantage, if I do my bit and put a bird in the pattern they will kill as clean as any other load.

Initially you are not going to save a huge amount of cash but if prevented from using plastic wads then reloading is the way to go. Those factory fibre wadded shells I have tried don't come close.  I shoot exclusively 410 and normally shoot 15 to 20 driven days a year.

Just checked Clay & Game   £255 new machine.    Nothing came up on ebay uk but lots on ebay.com(USA)

Put a request on here ...trading and you might find one like I did.    £255 is close to 1000 factory shells

That Yilditz still working OK by the way ????

Thanks for the advice. The yildiz got moved on not long ago to make way for a 30" ejector .410. Have you reloaded any plastic wad .410?

As you know I upgraded to a 30 inch barreled version with ejectors and just love the gun to bits.   Yes, I loaded non toxic(ITX) to Clay & Game specs and that load did the job. It is worth looking at their loads for 3 inch lead. They have been at it a long time and now do pressure testing I believe.   If you do start loading your own, then it is a good idea to do some plate testing for patterns with different chokes. I was amazed how fickle 410s are to choke choice with loads, even factory shells.  A few old cardboard boxes cut open provide the plates.

Now after a full three seasons of shooting 410 I have come to the conclusion that 18.5grms or thereabouts is the prime loading. The little case space just doesn't have the where with all

to generate enough velocity. The 20 and even 20 plus gr loads are sub sonic or almost sub sonic and I have not found a load below 18 which gives a good pattern.

However, I shoot each season with a group of 410 fanatics and the conversation almost always turns to what shoots best in their gun and without doubt the 410 is really finicky as to what it likes..gun for gun..hence my suggestion to pattern test. Hope this helps.

On factory loads, I have always shot Fiocchi 3 inch but this last season I tried the Hull High Pheasant on the advice of Mark Knibbs and they are equal to the Fiocchi and also give good patterns in my gun.

Edited by Walker570