Left over 223/308 Bullet Heads

TwoSmokingBarrels

On 11/03/2018 at 22:19, TwoSmokingBarrels said:

Just starting reloading - so trying to try a selection of heads without buying in boxes of 100 and then finding out they are no good. 

So if any one has any spare 223 and 308 heads laying about get in contact and I’ll pay for them and postage. 

Cheers

No disrespect intended, but bullets are mainly never "not good" - it is the reload that maketh the round?

I once took months with one rifle that eventually grouped at 137 thou off the lands with a load that exceeded (not by much) the recommended max.

I would seriously suggest to stick with one well branded bullet bullet (personally I prefer Sierra), load 50 up to max oal and with a light to average powder charge, then take your press to your range / zeroing place and fire 5 and see how they group. Squeeze the next 5 in by 10 thou and fire again. When you get to a near decent group - STOP.

Go home, pull all the remaining bullets and load another 50 in groups of 5 with powder charge increasing in increments of + 0.3 grains and eventually you will find a good load.

Shooting live animals - that best load will be good enough. Punching holes in paper? You can repeat again to your hearts content with 0.1grain increments, different primers, polished cases / dirty cases, different case lengths, different neck tensions etc etc but beware - it is the road to madness!

Enjoy...

Edited by Eyefor

On 13/03/2018 at 10:22, Deker said:

I have 100 Remington .224 55gr if you want them, I'm getting a re-barrel with a faster twist so these are no longer any use

Sorry only just seen this, are they soft point? How much delivered? I’ve gone for the 1-12 Tikka Varmint now, got fed up of looking for a 1-8 and decided I would have no use for the faster twist rate yet anyway, and 55grn heads will take fox and deer so covers all I need it for!

10 minutes ago, TwoSmokingBarrels said:

Sorry only just seen this, are they soft point? How much delivered? I’ve gone for the 1-12 Tikka Varmint now, got fed up of looking for a 1-8 and decided I would have no use for the faster twist rate yet anyway, and 55grn heads will take fox and deer so covers all I need it for!

Really not sure but they're classed as PLHP rounds, so I think that's Power Lock hollow point? was thinking around £10 posted for them all?

20180315_120707.jpg

Edited by Deker