RiP Ken Dodd

TIGHTCHOKE

29 minutes ago, figgy said:

He was a great entertainer live,very funny and his show went on and not like some who do an hour and that's your lot. Saw on the news that he died in the house he was born in, not many could say that.

I believe it was the same address as he was born, but I think he bought the whole street! I would imagine it’s very different now from when he was born. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Personally couldn't stand him as a comedian, but he gave his everything to entertain those who enjoyed his humour. Always sold out at Kilworth House Theatre near us every year.  He enjoyed every minute to the end, an Icon in the entertainment world.

He had an acquired sense of humour but gave value for money.  How anyone can fire out jokes one after the other for five hours was amazing. Remember him back in the sixties at Our Ladies Church hall Birkenhead he sang some great songs and at the time he was going out with a nurse from Clatterbridge Hospital Bebington on the wirral. Sadly she died.

Proof once again that hard work and being good at what you do works.  A great talent.  Lovely that he enjoyed doing what he did so much.  He genuinely did spread a lot of 'happiness'.

Such a shame he was hounded (though ultimately cleared) by the Inland Revenue.

47 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

One of his jokes:  Did you hear about the Topless lady ventriloquist .... nobody saw her lips move.

He introduced himself as comedian, singer, hopefully playboy ... and failed accountant ? 

someone said he had £300,000 in his loft in cash 

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Me too! Never saw him live, but I imagine he was a riot in that environment? 

The first time I heard his humour was on the radio when I was aged about 8 years old, and my wife and I saw him live at Bournemouth for my 65th birthday treat.

An amazing longevity of performance, and he kept going that night well past midnight, chortling to the audience that they had missed their buses and trains. :lol:

My wife had sensibly booked an hotel

5 hours ago, amateur said:

The first time I heard his humour was on the radio when I was aged about 8 years old, and my wife and I saw him live at Bournemouth for my 65th birthday treat.

An amazing longevity of performance, and he kept going that night well past midnight, chortling to the audience that they had missed their buses and trains. :lol:

My wife had sensibly booked an hotel

I know what you mean the show my wife  and I went to see started at 7pm and ended after midnight. We should have been given flight socks to prevent DVT.

R.I.P. 
I was only wondering about him last week, how he was keeping & what age he must be now.
There's a VERY good BBC TV documentary if you can find it, which follows him around for a few days.

Never got all his humour, but grew up on the Diddy Men & liked almost all of his stuff in later life.

Always remember a mate from the pistol club days (mid-1980's) telling me that on a trip to Blackpool he was dragged to a Ken Dodd show by the wife & kids...under much protest as he never liked the bloke. Seeing him live, he said how he never had a heart attack he'll never know, as he was struggling to breath as he was laughing so much...and Doddy kept going with barely a pause for breath himself for over 5 hours.

Regret I never got to see one of his live shows. Another icon long gone...

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

He genuinely did spread a lot of 'happiness'.

The BIG joke about the song he was famous for, is that the title was a play on words..."Happiness" was, er, not the song's theme.
Try listening to it but replace the word "happiness" with the phrase "a penis" = THAT was the joke, not some sentimental twaddle...!
He was getting away with singing about someone hung like a carthorse, and getting airplay on TV/radio at a time when morals/censorship were a lot more restricted; The Goons & a few others of the era were also at it with hidden messages that the censor would miss...

Edited by saddler

22 minutes ago, saddler said:

The BIG joke about the song he was famous for, is that the title was a play on words..."Happiness" was, er, not the song's theme.
Try listening to it but replace the word "happiness" with the phrase "a penis" = THAT was the joke, not some sentimental twaddle...!
He was getting away with singing about someone hung like a carthorse, and getting airplay on TV/radio at a time when morals/censorship were a lot more restricted; The Goons & a few others of the era were also at it with hidden messages that the censor would miss...

Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I posses
I thank the Lord I've been blessed 
With more than my share of happiness
To me this old world is a wonderful place
And I'm just about the luckiest human in the whole human race
I've got no silver and I've got no gold 
Just a whole lot of happiness in my soul
Happiness to me is an ocean tide 
Or a sunset fading on a mountain side
Or maybe a big old heaven full of stars up above
When I'm in the arms of the one I love
Happiness is a field of grain 
Lifting its face to the falling rain
I can see it in the sunshine, I breathe it in the rain 
Happiness everywhere
A wise old man told me one time 
That happiness is nothing but a frame of mind
I hope when you go to measuring my success
That you don't count my money count my happiness

Phallic????

Not saying your wrong, but he did cover it well if it was…… (I have heard that he said one time it was about his own member):)
Edited by KB1

24 minutes ago, saddler said:

I have heard that before; whether it is true or not, I have no idea, but Ken Dodd did make a LOT of people at his shows happy and laugh, as has been reflected in the comments about those who have seen his live shows in this thread.