Thinking selling up

Me and the wife have Been talking about selling up  , couple off choices of what we fancy doing 

One is  buying a couple off holiday lodges (one for MIL) round a lake  and living in it all year round 

Two is  buying an old place with a few acres and doing the place up 

There are a few more options but do fancy the two above ,  if I did the second one would I be able to use the land when I re apply for FAC instead off having a farmer sign a permission slip for me 

Does anyone live in the first option 

Cheers 

Guest stevo

Option two would still depend on amount of land , the lay of the land , and of course your reasons for wanting one . 

The same rules apply and still need to satisfy good reason for EVERY application. 

As stevo says , it is all down to how much land, it's location and the requirement to have a shotgun/rifle to control or shoot on it. It needs to be substantial, I would take a guess at 50 acres plus.   Having our own 10 acre wood and 2 acre orchard I can assure you that would be the way to go, also our old farmhouse is 400plus years old and is a joy to live in.

Therefore I would go for the second option anyway.  BUT,   you could buy a substantial piece of ground and then put a really nice 'mobile home' on that. 5yrs ago we looked at some quality log cabin style mobile homes at the Royal Show and it was very tempting.  If you went that way then try for a piece which has an agricultural holding number because it then becomes possible to put up sheds workshops as well.

Don't think you can easily put a mobile home on just any piece of land. Planning authorities hate mobile homes with a vengence because they think (probably rightly) that you are trying to pull a flanker and bring about a change of use by stealth.

Edited by Vince Green

19 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Don't think you can easily put a mobile home on just any piece of land. Planning authorities hate mobile homes with a vengence because they think (probably rightly) that you are trying to pull a flanker and bring about a change of use by stealth.

Unless the law has changed, I'm sure you can put a mobile home anywhere you like as long as its not connected to the water supply. It can be connected to electric. (My sister has one in her garden, near to the boundary of the neighbour from hell, who works for the council !!)

Long time ..20yrs since we looked at it and there did not ppear to be a problem back then and I have a neighbour who has put one on his piece of ground with no problem.

That one is connected to water, beautiful kitchen /bathroom/shower the bees knees.   The only restriction we found was that we had plans to buy two and have them side by side but the regs said they had to be a certain distance apart, cannot recall if it was 15ft or 15yards.  Our idea for that was to add a study and a guest bedroom/shower/small lounge area but no kitchen.

The ones we looked at could be fitted interiors as you required.      We had to provide services and a level concrete standing....obviously access to it as well.

Well worth looking at I believe.

1 hour ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Unless the law has changed, I'm sure you can put a mobile home anywhere you like as long as its not connected to the water supply. It can be connected to electric. (My sister has one in her garden, near to the boundary of the neighbour from hell, who works for the council !!)

The local travelling community have just done it around here, by sub diving fields into half acre plots, and putting one on each plot.......right in the middle of the HS2 route.

Option One gives you the disposable income.

Option Two Ties up all your disposable income

You will have a restricted occupancy clause on holiday accommodation. Usually occupation for no longer than 11 months of the year and sometimes with a continuity occupation clause.

A free standing mobile home will require planning permission. In the garden of a house used by members of the family is very different from one in a field.

I would guess the FAC question is the least of your thoughts but I had my garden and paddock signed off for .243. 

On 13 March 2018 at 00:13, oowee said:

You will have a restricted occupancy clause on holiday accommodation. Usually occupation for no longer than 11 months of the year and sometimes with a continuity occupation clause.

A free standing mobile home will require planning permission. In the garden of a house used by members of the family is very different from one in a field.

I would guess the FAC question is the least of your thoughts but I had my garden and paddock signed off for .243. 

No there are 12 months on a 75 year lease

37 minutes ago, Neverforgetsaid:

No there are 12 months on a 75 year lease

Read the planning consent carefully before you jump.

The holiday cottages I have here on the farm restricts occupancy thus "shall not be occupied by any one person for a period exceeding 28 days in any calendar year".

On 12/03/2018 at 21:21, Walker570 said:

As stevo says , it is all down to how much land, it's location and the requirement to have a shotgun/rifle to control or shoot on it. It needs to be substantial, I would take a guess at 50 acres plus.  

Is it how much land or why you need a FAC for said land? my field is only a few acres but because I farm rabbits and have pultry I need a rifle to control foxes and wild rabbits.

Your correct. IF you have good reason as you do and have stock on the ground to protect then I doubt it would be refused ...they might quible about calibre, but that is each force to it's own.

I think if you had 5 or 6 acres of field for a pony and no other stock you might struggle, again down to each force f/a dept.

My first fac .22 was for a few fields I had then about 6 acres. I needed to control rabbits. I then got a 17hmr both on an open ticket. I now have about 12 acres a 223, but do also have permission locally.

Static caravans do normally require planning if you are living in or renting out the same for lodges at least that is normally the case here in Cornwall, I have 5 of them and had to jump through a lot of hoops even though they were going on my caravan and camping site.