Muller choke issue

Wiggum

I was stripping and cleaning my Beretta auto last weekend after a session on the clays and after cleaning the barrel I went to remove the choke but it wouldn’t budge. I took a look down the barrel from the muzzle end and can see the choke has deformed/bulged where the choke threads meets the barrel lip. I’ve tried to loosen off and remove the choke with a set of adjustable grips and some rubber mat to provide grip but it just won’t budge !  Looks like it’s a trip to the gun smith to get it removed. This isn’t the first problem I’ve had with a muller choke as I had one split the full length back in 2015. I’m disappointed as I really rate the performance of these chokes and the throw a really good pattern and I get good breaks with them  just not sure I trust them anymore. 

17B102B9-179B-495D-9779-603675968BAF.jpeg

52 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Mullers, they usually replace them.

OP have a read through this;

That’s my post from 2015 when the original choke split, the choke that’s bulged/deformed is the replacement they sent me directly from the USA that I had to pay £20 to customs and excise to get it in the country, I’m pretty sure they’re not gonna replace it again 3 years later. 

Have a read on Jimmy Mullers site and american forums where he states the poor tolerances Beretta manufacture their choke threads to that he cant be responsible for chokes splitting. I read that he only recommends his steel manufactured chokes for the Beretta optima choke and not the feather-light chokes. I had some of mine replaced when i had a them in a Beretta. One all the special harder than hard coating came off inside the choke and another split in the gun shooting a comp in ice cold weather. Both replaced without quibble but lost confidence in them and  sold them on. 

15 hours ago, bunnykiller said:

Has anyone heard of any other ( other than optima/beretta ) mullers splitting?

I have seen forum posts and Facebook posts including pictures of the failure for Caesar Guerini, Blaser, Miroku /browning muller chokes that have split, cracked etc. They don’t seem as prolific as Beretta but still exist. 

Any response from Muller has been along the lines of user error (not tightened up) gun makers fault (tolerance) or an old revision number of choke so it’s no longer a problem if you get the latest revision number.

I had a set, I had no issues apart from chips on the ceramic however I sold them because I’m not convinced of their durability.

Well finally managed to get the choke out after soaking the end of the barrel on wd40 for 24hrs and some assistance from my dad and some grips. Luckily there wasn’t any damage to the choke threads so have replaced the muller with a beretta ported (IM) choke which has notches in to be able to tighten with a choke key. I’ve lost all faith in muller now as this is the second one to fail. 

The issue ins't with Muller chokes but with the optima bore threads being to large/loose on some guns causing the aluminium chokes to split,other choke makers have noted the issue too. 

Browning invector plus along with other makes are not a problem just Beretta optima bore.