Not the best of days

team tractor

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Well I’m out of my operation. Weird feeling lying there chatting to the surgeon about my fingers while she’s cutting away. 

Music playing and 6 injections into my fingers to numb them.

Kept what they can but worse than first thought. Back next week

Jeeez, feeling terrible for you, keep your spirits up, hope you heal quickly md feel better soon.

Can’t believe the amount of people on here that have lost fingers, I have all twelve fingers intact ( live in east anglia) and feel like a freak..

1 hour ago, PPP said:

Jeeez, feeling terrible for you, keep your spirits up, hope you heal quickly md feel better soon.

Can’t believe the amount of people on here that have lost fingers, I have all twelve fingers intact ( live in east anglia) and feel like a freak..

Just donate/sell a couple. There seem to be plenty of potential recipients on here.

Whats the going rate for fingers these days.

17 hours ago, PPP said:

Can’t believe the amount of people on here that have lost fingers, I have all twelve fingers intact

just reading through and thinking has everyone on here lost a finger?? It used to be quite common in engineering that fellas would loose a finger tip on milling or crush one slinging wrong, haven't seen it in a while possibly thanks to elf and failure?

seems like your in the gang now anyway Nath, hope the opp went well.

35 minutes ago, Mice! said:

just reading through and thinking has everyone on here lost a finger?? It used to be quite common in engineering that fellas would loose a finger tip on milling or crush one slinging wrong, haven't seen it in a while possibly thanks to elf and failure?

My grandad was a master carpenter, he fitted out Pullman carriages. He had 3 fingers on one handed and two fingers and a thumb on the other. No idea how he lost them but it wasnt in one go

33 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Even in recent times, putting mouldings on large section curved windows ect using the ring fence on the spindle molder was lethal looking back, id think nothing of putting my fingers within mm of the blade, something's have changed for the better.

It’s not changed at all. I use a ring fence all the time and your limited to what you can do. Our machine is 12 months old so up to date and it’s still leathal 

56 minutes ago, ips said:

My grandad was a master carpenter, he fitted out Pullman carriages. He had 3 fingers on one handed and two fingers and a thumb on the other. No idea how he lost them but it wasnt in one go

It is what it is in our trade but at the hospital the surgeon said tree surgeons and carpenters are the top. But then again they have a complete building that’s huge desiccated to hands. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I’ll know Tuesday dude how it’s gone

Wood machining is dangours no doubt, but then some people are dangerous to, way back when I was an apprentice, I remember an old boy who was a cracking machinist but his party piece used to be trimming his nails on a full size, running rip saw, I kid you not, he still had all his digits when I left, god only knows how, there's enough risks in wood work without taking stupid risks.

8 hours ago, Saltings said:

hope you heel quickly being self employed as I am you'll be back to work tomorrow LOL      work for a company 6 mts dossing about no win no fee etc    real men just carry on keep up the good work 

I said I wanted to go in . I tried the next day but after going to set the spindle moulder up I was ordered home. I know most people would think I’m stupid that in less than 24 hours I attempted to use the same machine. 

Dad and my partner said to leave but I find it hard. Doctor/surgeon said to leave it for 2 -3 weeks but I’m bored and thinking about work already.

how people skive I don’t know . 

Lets hope it hurry’s up because I want to go back to work. 

Edited by team tractor

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

I said I wanted to go in . I tried the next day but after going to set the spindle moulder up I was ordered home. I know most people would think I’m stupid that in less than 24 hours I attempted to use the same machine. 

Dad and my partner said to leave but I find it hard. Doctor/surgeon said to leave it for 2 -3 weeks but I’m bored and thinking about work already.

Dad had an accident at work on an unbraked, unguarded circular saw. It was a couple of weeks after he had been to a meeting to request brake and guard to be fitted. He had recently transferred there from another area in the Coalboard works.They said it wasn't necessery.

He slipped in the workshop on a rail that brought heavy timbers into the workshop. The saw was still freewheeling after being turned off and due to no guard on it, his hand went into it as he fell. He lost his thumb and 2 fingers. As it was not going fast it mangled them beyond being re-attached.

The first thing he did after getting out of hospital was to go down his own worshop and run some timber through his own circular saw on a Coronet lathe. His own machine had a brake and guard on it. He wanted to make sure he hadn't lost his nerve.

He joined the painters at work when he returned to work. He still did carpentry at home. It just took him longer and he put special handles he made on some of his tools. The management were made to upgrade and put a brake and guard on the saw at work after that.

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

I went back to work the day after my ( not as serious as yours ) accident as I’m self employed, but had to call it a day after an hour or so when it started seeping through he bandage. See it as an opportunity to have a look about and see if there’s anything else you fancy doing while you’re off. You never know; you may find a new hobby or even a change in occupation. Time well spent. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I went back to work the day after my ( not as serious as yours ) accident as I’m self employed, but had to call it a day after an hour or so when it started seeping through he bandage. See it as an opportunity to have a look about and see if there’s anything else you fancy doing while you’re off. You never know; you may find a new hobby or even a change in occupation. Time well spent. 

Might load some ammo .

i also want to paint my hallway but I’ve no chance. PlayStation I think. 

Edited by team tractor