Not the best of days

team tractor

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Dad had an accident at work on an unbraked, unguarded circular saw. It was a couple of weeks after he had been to a meeting to request brake and guard to be fitted. He had recently transferred there from another area in the Coalboard works.They said it wasn't necessery.

He slipped in the workshop on a rail that brought heavy timbers into the workshop. The saw was still freewheeling after being turned off and due to no guard on it, his hand went into it as he fell. He lost his thumb and 2 fingers. As it was not going fast it mangled them beyond being re-attached.

The first thing he did after getting out of hospital was to go down his own worshop and run some timber through his own circular saw on a Coronet lathe. His own machine had a brake and guard on it. He wanted to make sure he hadn't lost his nerve.

He joined the painters at work when he returned to work. He still did carpentry at home. It just took him longer and he put special handles he made on some of his tools. The management were made to upgrade and put a brake and guard on the saw at work after that.

It’s annoying that we try our hardest to keep up to spec and spend thousands. We had an illegal block on our tennoner and I said to my dad it’s now out of spec so before it was used it was swapped. We were given the machine anyway . I just won’t risk stuff but my unfortunately in our game if your cutting a 3” timber , the guard has to have a 3” gap etc.

i guess I’m just unlucky this time. 

Sounds like your dads what made Britain great. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Might load some ammo .

i also want to paint my hallway but I’ve no chance. PlayStation I think. 

pretty sure you need two hands to play PlayStation?? More chance of painting or checking your camera traps, i very much doubt you ever get near your perms at 11am on a week day.

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

pretty sure you need two hands to play PlayStation?? More chance of painting or checking your camera traps, i very much doubt you ever get near your perms at 11am on a week day.

I’m not allowed to drive and my camera has just gone off to minox again for a refund this time.

i can play PlayStation as I’ve 2 fingers useable lol. I’ll rest it in my palm.

15 minutes ago, team tractor said:

It’s annoying that we try our hardest to keep up to spec and spend thousands. We had an illegal block on our tennoner and I said to my dad it’s now out of spec so before it was used it was swapped. We were given the machine anyway . I just won’t risk stuff but my unfortunately in our game if your cutting a 3” timber , the guard has to have a 3” gap etc.

i guess I’m just unlucky this time. 

Sounds like your dads what made Britain great. 

you've got me thinking now, never used a spindle moulder but looking at the video you put on i thinking it is an upside down router? Could you not make a perspex or welded mesh cover/guard to go over the gap your timber creates ie the 3 inch, things like this normally open folks eyes to what can go wrong, next person might come off worse??

34 minutes ago, Mice! said:

you've got me thinking now, never used a spindle moulder but looking at the video you put on i thinking it is an upside down router? Could you not make a perspex or welded mesh cover/guard to go over the gap your timber creates ie the 3 inch, things like this normally open folks eyes to what can go wrong, next person might come off worse??

That video is where they don’t use a guard dude. Most wood machines have massive gaps. If it’s spring loaded you can still feed your hands in just like a piece of timber. We have switches on the big kit that turn off the feed rollers if your hand enters but once the timbers through it leaves a hole still. 

On 3/19/2018 at 18:54, victorismyhero said:

first rule of elf n safety

DONT put your fingers where you wouldnt put your ****

I wouldn’t rest it on a plank of wood either ;) 

On 3/19/2018 at 19:02, The Mighty Prawn said:

Looks like the hand modelling might need to take a backseat for a while?

Looks bloomin sore Nath, hope you fix up soon!

If you need a camera I've got my Canon DSLR not being used currently - let me know and you're welcome to borrow until yours comes back

I’m still in shock that you’ve not said a cocky comment lol.

im currently going through hand remodelling ;) 

On 3/19/2018 at 19:13, norfolk dumpling said:

image.jpeg.c3702d7a9bb912740af3c883d86a7d32.jpegimage.jpeg.c3702d7a9bb912740af3c883d86a7d32.jpegtried to trim my finger nails using a lawnmower - doesn't work!,

Ouch . That’s not uncommon tho . People turn the lawnmower off and forget it’s not stopped.

was it recent ?

On 3/19/2018 at 19:55, Mice! said:

hope that wasn't this week, it will end up national mangle your hand week.

Be reet.

You joining in ???

not me pal, by be reet i meant the two photos, I'm currently watching a cnc lathe do its thing with the door very shut ? neither my fingers or other digit is any place it shouldn't be.

bought an old petrol mower, cylinder job, so you could easily fall into the blades if you were seriously unlucky, keep thinking i should make some sort of cover, after reading of the number of pigeon watchers with damaged fingers think i will now ?

1 hour ago, kennett said:

Looking good, its amazing what a good surgeon can put back together! Hope it all heals up quickly and you get back to normal soon

I’m so happy and thank you 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

they look wonderful?? Only messing, do the physio, rest them and hopefully be back to normality soon enough.

Lol . I’m on it with the physio

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

The lengths some people will go to too not do the pots, or change nappies?? 

I’m cool with nappies. This is my 4th time ;) 

what am I doing lol

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

No chance of a getout. He can wear rubber gloves.

I actually wish as I could work then :)