what mag scope to use

shawn9914

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/03/2018 at 17:56, Ultrastu said:

Well my mate shoots his .22 lr in comps and the field  out to 100 yds .and he uses 30x mag .

Gun groups around an inch at 100 yds .

This isnt possible on 9x mag .

So depends on your uses .

Personally for me hunting out to around 80 yds id use 14 x mag .

Why is 1” not possible at x9 at 100m?

Edited by welshwarrior

21 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Why is 1” not possible at x9 at 100m?

:good:

I can get 1" (ok 1.25") at 100 yards with hunting .22lr ammo and a field rifle at 6x!

You don't need 30x for that, at that sort of mag you need the rifle virtually bolted to the floor to eliminate shake!

Edited by Dekers

48 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I can get 1" (ok 1.25") at 100 yards with hunting .22lr ammo and a field rifle at 6x!

You don't need 30x for that, at that sort of mag you need the rifle virtually bolted to the floor to eliminate shake!

Just wanted to know why x9 is so bad on a .22lr when many of us do it on x6 x8 etc on all sorts of rifles.

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

Im bored of this .:oops:

Not the best justification I’ve heard 

27 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Magnification in the field is incredibly personal, as I've said previously here, I have little need for anything more than 6x.

If 14x, 24x or 30x works for others then fine, even if I don't get it!

Agreed but to say it can’t be done on x9 is quite frankly ridiculas.   

I use 24x at 25 yards for target shooting with the 22lr. I seem to remember reading that 7x50 was the opticaly best scope from dusk till dawn,due to light gathering,think it was metopa ametris or something toped the table,obviously good glass. Each to their own, if I'm not getting the bullet through the same hole I just shot, I'm having a bad day. Also use 24x at 100-300 yards,with center fire. Also use peep sights 25-300yrds.

3 minutes ago, Albert 888 said:

I use 24x at 25 yards for target shooting with the 22lr. I seem to remember reading that 7x50 was the opticaly best scope from dusk till dawn,due to light gathering,think it was metopa ametris or something toped the table,obviously good glass. Each to their own, if I'm not getting the bullet through the same hole I just shot, I'm having a bad day. Also use 24x at 100-300 yards,with center fire. Also use peep sights 25-300yrds.

Cue the "you must be blind" comments.:lol:

I am trying to picture a 25 yard target with 24x mag but just can't, I would genuinely be interested in seeing what that looks like.

Each to their own I guess I prefer lower mag in the field and it certainly doesn't stop me from shooting plenty, and muntjac, as we know can be pretty small. I am not a long range shooter at all, furthest roe I have ever shot was 205 yards and from memory I only wound my scope up to 10 for that. For field shooting if you are shooting into a couple of inches I don't feel the need for any more but it depends on the size of your quarry, clearly target shooting is different.

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

I used to use 50 at that range in ft . I use 4 now lol

But that was to range to find not to actually pick a particular hair on a rabbit at 25 yards. 

I've had a 3-9×40 on mine for years and taken rabbits out to 100+. Would a higher mag scope had been any easier? Probably not, yes I would have seen more of the target but no other real advantage. 

2 minutes ago, Dougy said:

But that was to range to find not to actually pick a particular hair on a rabbit at 25 yards. 

I've had a 3-9×40 on mine for years and taken rabbits out to 100+. Would a higher mag scope had been any easier? Probably not, yes I would have seen more of the target but no other real advantage. 

We still used to shoot on 25 normally dude . I love low mag now. 

This thread is starting to sound like the ."you were lucky" montypython sketch Were 4 rich gentelmen try to prove how poor they were when young .

I can shoot further than you at lower magnification ..

"You were lucky to shoot at 4x mag .I had to shoot fleas at 200 yds with only a red dot sight with one arm tied behind my back " 

:lol:

Why anyone wants to shoot with one arm tied behind their back is just plain stupid. 

But shooting 100 yards with low mag 3-6× is, or was, nothing unusual. There wasn't allot of choice for higher mag scopes years ago. You made do with what you had or more to the point what you could afford.