Teacher bashing!!

Mice!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

My son and his wife are both primary school teachers. They both love their jobs, would they want to teach secondary school? Big NO to that, hormones and attitude, You don't get primary school kids doing drugs in the toilet or having sex in the gym.

Wish I’d knew about that school when I was 14 lol. 

1 hour ago, markm said:

They are amazing.

But for me it was only 3 days, the last 2 were 8 years apart.......

anyway walshie, what do you do for a job?

I work for myself meaning I don't get the luxury of paid days off.

1 hour ago, old man said:

I think all jobs have changed due to circumstances beyond an employees control, the way of the world that will continue?

Not personally knocking any one but think stresses go with all jobs, try having a young family and 3 redundancies in 4 years, one with 4 hours notice. Had to go and sign on once for about a fiver, was made to feel pretty carp in front of a line of others who all received the same insults in their turn. It eventually, as times got harder, turned a bit lively with security guards on standby. Try working in a paper mill under huge turning roller presses in a foot of stinking water with 3 phase electric wiring all around and two feet of headroom? Exciting times.? Elf and safety?

Fancy a go down the pit or in the Abattoir? ?

Yes. I'm trapped and qualified for nothing else.

Mind you. Those were the bad old days. Not that many of those jobs around now. Would I have worked in the pit? Yes. Hard physical labour is Currently a release for me. I farm at the weekend. To be honest I think I would enjoy an all male environment, the cameraderie and knowing you were finished at quitting time.

Abattoir? Blood and guts and manual labour hold no fear for me.

Why do you think my job isn't hard because it isn't physical? I enjoy physical.  Always have. It's why farming and rugby have had such a big part in my life. 

Have you taught recently?  Do you just enjoy poking fun at people you rate as soft? 

I'm not trying to knock you or your opinion.  I am simply trying to figure out where it's coming from.

Oh. And yes - I too have suffered the dole office humiliation. It's partly why I abandoned building sites and trained as a teacher. Decent pay, great holidays, good pension and regular income. All I'm saying is it has changed and is way more pressured that outside observers realise. Is there pressure in other jobs ? Of course. 

I commented on this thread solely because I have stayed silent on teacher bashing threads before. Indeed the one time I joined in a previous one I too wash "bashed."

I'm just quite sick of some "smart-****" contributors mouthing off about something they've only experienced during their time at school.

Edited by Big Al

7 minutes ago, markm said:

Clearly you’re just a keyboard walt.......Bet you’re a right laugh in the pub.

Do you really think individual teachers in the classroom close down schools when it snows?

Keyboard walt. lol. Clearly.

No, I know you don't have the power to make decisions. Just gets up my nose when people like you gloat about having days off when other people have to work. 

Edited to add: You do know what a walt is don't you? 

Edited by walshie

44 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Mind you. Those were the bad old days. Not that many of those jobs around now. Would I have worked in the pit? Yes. Hard physical labour is Currently a release for me. I farm at the weekend. To be honest I think I would enjoy an all male environment, the cameraderie and knowing you were finished at quitting time.

Why do you think my job isn't hard because it isn't physical? I enjoy physical.  Always have. It's why farming and rugby have had such a big part in my life. 

Have you taught recently?  Do you just enjoy poking fun at people you rate as soft? 

I'm not trying to knock you or your opinion.  I am simply trying to figure out where it's coming from.

45 minutes ago, Big Al said:

No doubt Old Man will reply to you himself, but reading his comments I don't think he said your job was not hard or was poking fun at you for been soft. In the main this thread has been reasonably sympathetic to the teaching profession (with the exception of a few pops, me included about the snow) He just pointed out that all professions change over time. I agree it takes a very special person to become a good teacher and it is stressful but please remember that we are all in favour of progress as long as it doesn't mean change.

6 hours ago, Howling Hound said:

No doubt Old Man will reply to you himself, but reading his comments I don't think he said your job was not hard or was poking fun at you for been soft. In the main this thread has been reasonably sympathetic to the teaching profession (with the exception of a few pops, me included about the snow) He just pointed out that all professions change over time. I agree it takes a very special person to become a good teacher and it is stressful but please remember that we are all in favour of progress as long as it doesn't mean change.

It was this comment that was the red rag.

"Fancy a go down the pit or in the Abattoir? ?"

Pretty damn patronising - ( about as patronising as my teachers were when I was at school.)

Edited by Big Al

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

It was this comment that was the red rag.

"Fancy a go down the pit or in the Abattoir? ?"

Pretty damn patronising - ( about as patronising as my teachers were when I was at school.)

Al. No attempt to patronise. Why would I?

Just trying to point out some of our employment options of old. Our careers chap gave all of the boys 3 options, down the pit. The girls 3 options,  typists.:sad1:

You are welcome to your job looking at some of material you have to work with.

Talking of teachers. My recollection of them? Not very pleasant I'm afraid so won't expand on that.

47 minutes ago, old man said:

Just trying to point out some of our employment options of old. Our careers chap gave all of the boys 3 options, down the pit. The girls 3 options,  typists.:sad1:

Talking of teachers. My recollection of them? Not very pleasant I'm afraid so won't expand on that.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I interpreted you wrongly. 

There's an old saying, "if you go looking for tigers, you might just find one", I can't see anyone teacher bashing on this thread, but there seems to be a few on here who are expecting to be bashed so are over reacting to some of the posts, teaching can be a tough job I'm sure and I haven't seen anyone say otherwise, but there are going to be much worse jobs as well as much better ones, I don't see what the fuss is about?

1 hour ago, old man said:

My dad was told to go down the pit. Thank god he didn’t. My grandad did from 1928 I think. That must of been scary.

wasn't going to comment but oh well......I hate teachers, always have. :)

I was told by a teacher when I was 15yrs old .... "ips, you are a waste of space and you will amount to nothing" ....I always knew he was a cack teacher and didn't know what he was on about.

edit

This was in the 70s by the way

Edited by ips

2 hours ago, ips said:

I was told by a teacher when I was 15yrs old .... "ips, you are a waste of space and you will amount to nothing" ....I always knew he was a cack teacher and didn't know what he was on about.

edit

Must confess the rot started with me in the 50's and continued till the last day. Good job I developed the same opinion of them as they had of me.

One good thing though was the conversion possible to the old ink pen nibs into superb dart tips. A first venture into ballistics.:sad1:

Edited by old man
Spelling

2 hours ago, ips said:

edit

Like all jobs you'll also always get bad Apple's and people who aren't fit for the job, that's not to say all teachers are bad, that would be silly, I'll almost guarantee there are idiots or unsavoury people in your line of work to.

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'll almost guarantee there are idiots or unsavoury people in your line of work to.

Very true. ?

11 minutes ago, old man said:

Must confess the rot started with me in the 50's and continued till the last day. Good job I developed the same opinion of them as they had of me.

One good thing though was the conversion possible to the old ink pen nibs into superb dart tips. A first venture into ballistics.:sad1:

Ha,

Its funny how bad experiences as a child can stay with you. I hated school with a passion of monumental scale. I hated the teachers and the feeling was mutual, i didnt have much time for the pupils either and that also seemed to be mutual. I also have a dislike for anyone who has been to uni as i cannot understand anyone weird enough to willingly go back to school. I would like to add a smiley to show that the above is merely in jest....but it isnt.....so i wont ☺️ oops i did 

4 hours ago, old man said:

Options!!!

I remember a carreers advisor visiting and asking each one of us what carreer they would like with a view to advising what subject's to take (this was what was called 3rd year in those days so you chose what subjects best suited for last two years of borstal...i mean school) my turn came i replied "gunsmith sir" he laughed out loud and told me i was an **** (or words to that effect) i think with hindsight that was the moment i gave up and from then on did sod all work on the occasions i was there. I didnt sit any exams on principal and left school with a 10metre swimming award, which incidentally was never any use to me so even that was a waste of time ?