Angle at the top of external woodwork

lord_seagrave

Hi chaps,

I’m making a bit of trellis to copy some existing trellis in a neighbour’s garden.

There are lots of uprights with the grain exposed. If it helps you to imagine it, these uprights are ‘fins’ 19mm thick by 70mm wide, fixed to the horizontal bars by their 19mm edge (I wouldn’t have designed them that way!).

Although there is no angle/chamfer on the originals, I instinctively want to put a bit of an angle on these tops for the rain to run off.

Now, there are 46 of these uprights, so I only want to bother shaping them IF:

1. it will make a material difference to how they will wear; AND

2. it can be shallow enough that, when everything is painted black, the difference won’t be noticeable.

i.e. If I have to put a 45 degree angle on each upright in order for it to have an effect, I won’t. Likewise, if a shallow angle (say, 15 degrees max) won’t make a real difference to water penetration, I won’t bother, and just put an extra coat of Cuprinol on the ends.

All help gratefully received.

LS

Even a small angle is better than no angle as water will run off, look at the angle of capping rails not a lot but it works.   I would cut them and stand all the exposed ends in engine oil for a week or so to let the wood soak up plenty through the end grain then they shouldn't rot for a long  time.

Thanks guys.

It’ll be pressure-treated/tanilised(?) timber.

Are we saying that that, combined with a couple of coats of fence paint, will be enough without cutting an angle, or would you cut a bit of an angle as well?

I’d obviously prefer to save myself the hassle of the extra cutting, and the risk that it wouldn’t look _exactly_ like the neighbour’s one, but I’d also like to save myself more hassle of trying to replace it with a fully grown wisteria all over it! :lol:

LS

19 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

Thanks guys.

It’ll be pressure-treated/tanilised(?) timber.

Are we saying that that, combined with a couple of coats of fence paint, will be enough without cutting an angle, or would you cut a bit of an angle as well?

I’d obviously prefer to save myself the hassle of the extra cutting, and the risk that it wouldn’t look _exactly_ like the neighbour’s one, but I’d also like to save myself more hassle of trying to replace it with a fully grown wisteria all over it!

LS

As soon as it’s cut it’s no longer treated ;)