Crimp Starter

Evening all, my dad and I are looking to get a new crimp starter for his old mec, a very kind and patient PW member lent me his brass super crimper which made light work of the batch of new cases we had, after doing some research on here I discovered someone had used a brass one from siarm. Now my question is which one should we try and get? The original plastic mec and brass siarm one are around a tenner whereas the brass super pull your pants down one is around 40 quid, we are not expert reloaders and we'd be mainly loading new cases, cheers.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:51, Smokersmith said:

I'd go for the cheaper brass one.

3 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

they all work but if you're looking for factory like results, then it has to be steel

I do have an all steel set up back home but i learnt that a Load all does the same job and produces the same test results...although not the same look!

Thanks to you both for replying 

18 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

they all work but if you're looking for factory like results, then it has to be steel

I do have an all steel set up back home but i learnt that a Load all does the same job and produces the same test results...although not the same look!

Why does it have to be steel? I can get very good results with my brass crimp starter.

well, if all the factory ones are steel... there must be a reason...:hmm:

have you ever wondered why most knives are steel and none are brass? 

I know there will probably be someone that argues that brass cuts as well...and it's true; but it's a matter of fact that steel makes better, more defined cuts.  If you look inside the two yoiu sill see that one has sharper, polished blades and the other more rounded and coarse ones.... it's a matter of getting what you pay for really.

As i said, I am using a Lee Load All at the minute and would use brass if needed (with some sharpening tool) becasue is cheap and i am no loger bothered about the looks... but it's obvious to me that steel's cuts are better in shape and depth If you add a steel spinner to that... you're game on!   :lol:

3 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

well, if all the factory ones are steel... there must be a reason...:hmm:

have you ever wondered why most knives are steel and none are brass? 

I know there will probably be someone that argues that brass cuts as well...and it's true; but it's a matter of fact that steel makes better, more defined cuts.  If you look inside the two yoiu sill see that one has sharper, polished blades and the other more rounded and coarse ones.... it's a matter of getting what you pay for really.

As i said, I am using a Lee Load All at the minute and would use brass if needed (with some sharpening tool) becasue is cheap and i am no loger bothered about the looks... but it's obvious to me that steel's cuts are better in shape and depth If you add a steel spinner to that... you're game on!   :lol:

I don't know what you are talking about. Cuts?

22 hours ago, motty said:

I don't know what you are talking about. Cuts?

Yeah, the blades that make the incision on the hulls

22 hours ago, motty said:

No, I'm not talking about a brass spinner, though I am sure they would work ok.

They all work well, it all depends if you're bothered about the looks. That was my point. Also, as said, brass spinner will wear quicker but they are a lot cheaper

50 minutes ago, Continental Shooter said:

Yeah, the blades that make the incision on the hulls

They all work well, it all depends if you're bothered about the looks. That was my point. Also, as said, brass spinner will wear quicker but they are a lot cheaper

My steel super crimp starter is a load of rubbish, as it cuts straight through the cases. My brass one is spot on, with crisp folds given to new cases.

42 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Looking to buy a brass or steel crimp starter for a Mec Jr.

Where from and price please.

Siarm. Less than £15.

5 hours ago, motty said:

My steel super crimp starter is a load of rubbish, as it cuts straight through the cases. My brass one is spot on, with crisp folds given to new cases.

Siarm. Less than £15.

Yeah, as I said, blades are sharper. If too sharp you can smooth them a bit. Brass will wear and blades get rounder.

To everything, however, there are exceptions...and, if I recall correctly, certain batches of gaep steel crimper us to do that but it's more a production issue. 

Siarm brass tool is one that does a great job for the price