Midland gun company 20g

Neil23

Looking at a 20g midland gun co single barrel for my lad who currently shoots a single 410 .just wanting that extra spead hence looking for upgrade.has anyone owned/used a midland gun co gun to shed some light as to what they like quality/reliability wise thanks ????

The first single barrel 12 bore that i used as a lad was by the Midland gun company called a "knockabout gun" 34" barrel hammer gun. I don't know about the one you're looking at but genearlly they are nothing fancy to look at but mechanically sound and built to last. 

I picked up a single barrel Baikal 20 bore for my lad when he was progressing for next to nothing. If you're anywhere near Norfolk i'll let you have it for the lad if its any help to see him progress.

49 minutes ago, decoy1979 said:

The first single barrel 12 bore that i used as a lad was by the Midland gun company called a "knockabout gun" 34" barrel hammer gun. I don't know about the one you're looking at but genearlly they are nothing fancy to look at but mechanically sound and built to last. 

I picked up a single barrel Baikal 20 bore for my lad when he was progressing for next to nothing. If you're anywhere near Norfolk i'll let you have it for the lad if its any help to see him progress.

That's realy exactly what I'm looking for , he shoots a single barrel baikal 410 and he loves it , nothing fancy again but unbreakable I'm in the north-east ...

Couple of quotes from other posts in this forum about Midland;

"Midland made guns from a fairly basic sound quality up to a well finished off very good quality, - in other words covered a large portion of the market.  All would originally have been sound guns, but a range of prices and variants were covered. 

Price now will depend on original quality level and the current condition.  Notably whether the gun is 'well in proof with good wall thickness' through to 'almost out of proof with marginal wall thickness'."

"Guy N Smith has published a book The Midland Gun Company  a short history £19-99 by post ."

Midland have a long history, so any gun could be old or young.

28 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Couple of quotes from other posts in this forum about Midland;

"Midland made guns from a fairly basic sound quality up to a well finished off very good quality, - in other words covered a large portion of the market.  All would originally have been sound guns, but a range of prices and variants were covered. 

Price now will depend on original quality level and the current condition.  Notably whether the gun is 'well in proof with good wall thickness' through to 'almost out of proof with marginal wall thickness'."

"Guy N Smith has published a book The Midland Gun Company  a short history £19-99 by post ."

Midland have a long history, so any gun could be old or young.

The gun I've been looking at looks a fairly modern gun yet nothing fancy and quite budget looking. It has the leaver to break the barrel like the baikal .410 has near the rear of the trigger.

25 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Age and condition is the main factor , price is up to you to decide . If its an older gun then may only be 2&1/2" chamber but if its for a young lad then that should not be a problem .

Chambered for 3" magnum this one, it's got a few minor dinks on the butt but the metalworks clean. 

Edited by Neil23
Missed bits