Auto renewals.

Lord Geordie

I got a letter today from Aviva regarding my car insurance! Auto renewal blah blah blah. Annual sum £511 comprehensive on my Laugna 2.0 dynamique. UP from last year by over £50 regardless of an additional year NCD. :hmm:

So I did the leg work and bounced a few sites with info returning a stark contrast in premium. I now have a quote with Churchill for £256 again comprehensive and even a basic breakdown recovery service, Granted its nothing flash, but it's a tow off the motorway should I ever need it. 

I rang Aviva to give them the findings and was told "we can apply a loyalty discount and bring the quote down to last years premium" to which I responded that it simply was not enough of a gesture to keep my business. She then told me "we don't price match" ?? So basically they don't WANT to keep their customers then? 

Seems a little odd to me that they are prepared to lose custom in this day and age? Surely a price match (even within the £300) would have seen me stay rather than go through the hassle of starting with a new company. After all at less than half the original renewal quote it's a rather compelling reason to take my money elsewhere. So for less than 10 mins in front of the laptop I have saved myself a small fortune. But I also feel a little sad that they weren't prepared to meet me half way and come to a mutually beneficial outcome. 

Looks like the dog gets a big pat on the head, and Aviva a big boot up the bottom.

I had the same, insurance wanted to jack my premium on Trooper, I complained, girl said she would try & reduce price, rang back 30 mins later, I had a better quote (Aviva) she said "Good news I have a better price, " no thanks" " Oh,is there nothing else I can help you with today?" " You can take the dog for a walk ,it,s raining"

1 hour ago, walshie said:

My latest renewal said as I had been with them for a while I might find cover cheaper elsewhere. 

Just the same for me and I did!
Been with Churchill on a multicar and home insurance for years, no claims. When I found a cheaper quote 'Will you match it?'.
A blunt, honest, straight forward NO.   OK I said I won't be renewing my other policies either.

Asked if they would forward my proof of NC. Got a yes but they never arrived.

Didn't give a toss, bunch of plonkers.:no:

Once after going through the process of renewing mine I was asked if I needed a receipt, and said yes, as I was self employed. When she queried this as there was no mention of it on my policy, and me telling her that there should be as I'd been self employed for over 12 years, she informed me that the news would incur a further £65! This really annoyed me so I told her that in that case she could cancel my entire policy and I'd shop around. She seemed quite taken aback and said 'but the card payment and everything has gone through', to which I told her that I didn't care; I had so many days to change my mind and in light of the increase, I just had. She asked me to hold on while she had a word with her supervisor and came back shortly to announce that I was due a discount for my loyalty! You'll never guess how much that discount was worth. :yes:

Every year it’s the same with car insurance...

Renewal letter comes through and premium has gone up despite an extra claim-free year. I jump onto Confused.com and run a quote and end up with a policy costing less than the previous year and considerably less than the renewal. I take out the new policy and ring my original insurer to tell them that I don’t wish to renew. Then my blood starts to boil...

”Oh we don’t want to see you go, what price have you been given elsewhere?... Ok... give me a moment... You’ll be pleased to hear that as a loyal customer we can match that other quote. How would you like to pay?”...

Me: “You mean to tell me that as a loyal customer you attempted to charge me almost 150% what I paid you last year and only when I say I’m leaving do you (within a few seconds) tell me you can charge me considerably less? That doesn’t sound like loyalty to me. I will NOT be using your company again and I will warn all of my friends and family not to either. Perhaps you should reconsider your treatment of existing customers. Goodbye.

A workmate was going to renew with his current insurer and was told it had gone up considerably, so informed them he would reconsider. The rep' told him to wait a minute and when he returned he told mate that if he let his current policy expire then come back to them as a new policy holder rather than an existing one, it would work out cheaper than last years premium! So he did! :yes:

They shouldn't try to get you a better quote when you phone. They should give you the best they can do in the first place. I had this discussion with my (old) house insurance people last month. The quote they sent me was £100 more than last year. By the time they had juggled figures and "loyalty discounts" is was £150 more!  Then she had the cheek to say, "How does that sound?" 

Click, brrrrrrrrrr. :lol:

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Once after going through the process of renewing mine I was asked if I needed a receipt, and said yes, as I was self employed. When she queried this as there was no mention of it on my policy, and me telling her that there should be as I'd been self employed for over 12 years, she informed me that the news would incur a further £65! This really annoyed me so I told her that in that case she could cancel my entire policy and I'd shop around. She seemed quite taken aback and said 'but the card payment and everything has gone through', to which I told her that I didn't care; I had so many days to change my mind and in light of the increase, I just had. She asked me to hold on while she had a word with her supervisor and came back shortly to announce that I was due a discount for my loyalty! You'll never guess how much that discount was worth. 

£100

every year mine seems to go up £20 - £30, i shop around and get it for the same price i paid originally and every time i ring up and cancel they say they can match the quote, which i never take up, it is annoying as if they just kept the price the same i would renew.

It would appear that insurance companies work on the basis of quoting a new customer a cheap (or realistic) price, whether it be for home or car insurance to get their business and then 'hope' that they will automatically renew. There are no rewards for existing customer loyalty whatsoever.

I now change companies every year for my house, car and holiday insurance as a matter of course and don't appear to lose out on the quality of insurance with the premiums remaining much the same year on year.

The comparison sites are for me, the way to go, I've given up on loyalty.

OB

I got my letter threw from direct line first line thank you for insuring with us for 18 years and being a loyal customer , after going on go compare dot com there  where 63 quotes cheaper  i got right on the phone and got the we don't  price match new customers will always get a discount , After saying so your telling me to shop around every year despite the first line thank you for your 18 years loyalty , he said let me have a look  and offered a bit off i said for insuring 3 cars with you not enough  then he said whos your breakdown cover with ?. I said if you look we have 3 cars the house and recovery with you  i got it a £5 below what they quoted last year  . 

I was well happy as they take it straight from the bank and there's no fuss but next year im thinking about moving the cars to keep them on there toes 

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

I got my letter threw from direct line first line thank you for insuring with us for 18 years and being a loyal customer , after going on go compare dot com there  where 63 quotes cheaper  i got right on the phone and got the we don't  price match new customers will always get a discount , After saying so your telling me to shop around every year despite the first line thank you for your 18 years loyalty , he said let me have a look  and offered a bit off i said for insuring 3 cars with you not enough  then he said whos your breakdown cover with ?. I said if you look we have 3 cars the house and recovery with you  i got it a £5 below what they quoted last year  . 

I was well happy as they take it straight from the bank and there's no fuss but next year im thinking about moving the cars to keep them on there toes 

3 cars. Well la-di-da. :lol:

21 minutes ago, walshie said:

3 cars. Well la-di-da. :lol:

Aye the daughter failed her test when on a dual carriage way a ambulance with blues and twos came up behind her and she pulled over and the ***** in the outside lane wouldn't  and the tester told her to go up on the pavement to let it past then failed her  , or there would be 4 cars when she's home . But good old Wimpey built there drives with enough room for 5 cars before they stuck the garage in the top corner of your garden 

we don't all have mates like your giving you old mercs to run about in lol

They don't care if you go elsewhere, more than enough people don't check around and let the policy renew automatically. They know they are not going to win them all.

The first year's price is deliberately low to hook you. Unless you change every year you will not get that price again.

Edited by Vince Green

Been insured via the AA for years.   Cars, house, contents, etc.

Car insured for one driver only - me.   Phoned them to add another driver - a friend and only to be used in emergencies - THEY sent me a cheque for £10 because it was cheaper with two drivers on the policy!

Auto renewal on the same car came up - £890.

Went on the comparison site and got the same insurance cover for £530 from Churchill.  (And that wasn't the cheapest but I had never heard of the other three companies).

Don't understand it.