Auto renewals.

Lord Geordie

Had the same treatment from Vodafone - albeit small potatoes. As I'm now retired and don't need data I've gone back to using my old Nokia 6310i and use less than 100 minutes per month with possibly 10 txt's and no data. The old plan was 1000 mins, unlimited txt's, 500mb data.

New contract went from £9-25 to £14-80. Went on their website and found unlimited calls and txt's 500mb UK data for £6 is available to new clients. I kicked off and told them I'll get a new one for the wife instead of me at the £6 as I'm not going to get shafted this time.

After losing maybe 1/2 hour online chat where they said yea but that won't come with my existing number: No problem. Won't have roaming: I don't roam. won't incluse overseas calls: I don't do that either! They eventually put me through to retentions and settled on 250 mins, unlimited txt's 225mb data for £6.60 after discounting a new £11 plan by 40%. 

It must have cost them more in resources than any potential premium gain.

I've done with being a stickie and now getting cheaper insurance and will soon be doing similar with energy suppliers that I've been with for over 40 years.

45 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Had the same treatment from Vodafone - albeit small potatoes. As I'm now retired and don't need data I've gone back to using my old Nokia 6310i and use less than 100 minutes per month with possibly 10 txt's and no data. The old plan was 1000 mins, unlimited txt's, 500mb data.

New contract went from £9-25 to £14-80. Went on their website and found unlimited calls and txt's 500mb UK data for £6 is available to new clients. I kicked off and told them I'll get a new one for the wife instead of me at the £6 as I'm not going to get shafted this time.

After losing maybe 1/2 hour online chat where they said yea but that won't come with my existing number: No problem. Won't have roaming: I don't roam. won't incluse overseas calls: I don't do that either! They eventually put me through to retentions and settled on 250 mins, unlimited txt's 225mb data for £6.60 after discounting a new £11 plan by 40%. 

It must have cost them more in resources than any potential premium gain.

I've done with being a stickie and now getting cheaper insurance and will soon be doing similar with energy suppliers that I've been with for over 40 years.

You can tell them you will take your existing number which you're entitled to, just ask for the PUK code; Then when you sign up your wife with new contract and new number you give them the PUK code and they replace the new number with your old one.

13 minutes ago, Cosd said:

You can tell them you will take your existing number which you're entitled to, just ask for the PUK code; Then when you sign up your wife with new contract and new number you give them the PUK code and they replace the new number with your old one.

I settled on the £6-60 but would have done that thanks. I have come to the conclusion that if almost everyone shops around the rip off of loyal 'stickies' practice will eventually stop.

2 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I settled on the £6-60 but would have done that thanks. I have come to the conclusion that if almost everyone shops around the rip off of loyal 'stickies' practice will eventually stop.

To be fair, I've only encountered having to ask for a PUK code when you're switching suppliers, never thought you'd need to pull that one when staying with the same company.

If you'd prefer your old number, I'd call them back and say you was given incorrect advice.

28 minutes ago, Cosd said:

To be fair, I've only encountered having to ask for a PUK code when you're switching suppliers, never thought you'd need to pull that one when staying with the same company.

If you'd prefer your old number, I'd call them back and say you was given incorrect advice.

Maybe I was being a bit dyslexic: I got to keep my existing account and number at the reduced rate of £6-60 in the end. :)

Just had Adrian Flux Insurance trying to charge me £30 to change my address on the policy...

No increase in the price of the policy just an admin fee !!!...New house less than 100 yards away and been with them for a few years...

Told them to cancel the policy!!!

Please hold the line...............

And now as a gesture of goodwill we will waive the admin fee...

Well isn't that nice of them !!!!

A few years ago, I was with Churchill insurance. Their renewal quote came in the post and was very high. I went on a comparison website, and Churchill came up the cheapest. I contacted them and told them that their quote on the website was a hell of a lot lower than my postal quote, and this was including the commission they pay the site. They did not budge on lowering the price. I then went to Churchill via the comparison site and renewed my insurance. Crazy to say the least!

You’d be surprised how many people can’t use a computer and can’t go on the comparison sites, plenty of old and middle aged people. 

the insurance and energy companies love them as they just let the auto renewal go through every year. 

Then there’s plenty of people who have money so they ‘can’t be bothered’ shopping around, they’re also the people who think they’re somehow posh when they overpay for things, normally they’re just fools. I knew plenty of clever people with a few bob and they still shop around for everything every year!