First CPSA Competition

DanBettin

Anything I should know going into my first registered comp this weekend? I'm guessing the ground will submit the scores themselves at the end of the day for me? Do you stick around until the end of the competition for results/any prizes etc. or leave once you've shot? I won't have any classifications yet so I'm guessing you get those when your score cards start coming in?

Thanks a lot for any info, apologies for the dumb questions, everyone has to start somewhere!

EDIT: Oh and enjoy your weekend all, hope everyone manages to get out and shoot a few.

Edited by DanBettin

Guest stevo

Your scores are registered with the CPSA buy the ground , ( you will have NOTHING to do with this process) you just shoot , if you think your in with a chance of winning your class, or HG then stay , if not just leave and go next weekend to collect your winnings , 

once you have logged 300 registered  targets you will then get a classification.

What are you shooting ?

Its just 100 clays with a score card,

Pay on

Eat bacon

Get gear on

Go to a stand and watch a few thru,

Hand card to ref

Wait your turn and give it hell

Collect card, CHECK YOUR SCORE MATCHES WHAT HAPPENED

Move on and repeat.

Hand card in at club house, glance at tv screen with scores on if they have one

Go home

Check CPSA website later for full results.

Dont hang about as they keep the money,(if you paid to be in the comp)till next time.

Where you going?

I think it's allot better than it was years ago,  there was an awful lot of sandbagging and guns walking round with 1/2 a dozen cards. As a new member of CPSA and a quite enthusiastic shooter I was quite disheartened by this obvious cheating to win what I thought was a rather measly prize of a box of cartridges. Needless to say I left CPSA.

But I am sure things have improved over the years.

If it is a registered shoot then your 1st card counts for the prize money, if it is an open shoot then normally you can have as many cards as you like., but it will be advertised as open.Nothing to do with the CPSA.. Most grounds write birds only across your second card if it is a registered shoot.The CPSA have a recommended example of prize money to entries in each class which most grounds are aware of. If you go birds only and not compitition when you book in it is normally a fiver cheaper to shoot. The fiver going to the prize fund in that class. from Auntie.

As its your first shoot ,if you are not with anyone else, wander round the first few stands and get a feel of the  ground, pick a couple of easy looking stands to start on and it will help your confidence,. We all have to start somewhere, just go out and enjoy the day. from Auntie,.

Edited by 100milesaway

Apologies!! I thought I'd replied to this. Rude of me considering all of the replies were so helpful.

The shoot was called off because of poor weather last weekend.

I'm based in the North-West and there are a few more events coming up in the coming weeks so I'm looking forward to attending one.

Regarding classifications - I guess I wouldn't be eligible for best in class prizes since I don't have a class yet? Or do they do the same but for unclassified shooters?

Thanks again, really helpful

You can be classified on the day using your score from secret stands. But at this point I wouldn't worry. Shoot a couple before the end of April and you'll have a class to go forward with from June . Or shoot 3 reg and apply for a temporary class. But don't get tangled up in it all. Just shoot and enjoy. 

Jasper.

Until you get an official class then shoot birds only.  If you shoot out of your skin on the day you will simply be classified in a higher class and someone else in that class will have shot better, unless of course you have the highest score overall.

What discipline are you planning to shoot?

4 hours ago, jasper682 said:

You can be classified on the day using your score from secret stands. But at this point I wouldn't worry. Shoot a couple before the end of April and you'll have a class to go forward with from June . Or shoot 3 reg and apply for a temporary class. But don't get tangled up in it all. Just shoot and enjoy. 

Jasper.

Ye it's no big deal anyway, just curious as to how it works. I'm not expecting any prizes, just wondering. Thanks mate.

3 hours ago, grrclark said:

Until you get an official class then shoot birds only.  If you shoot out of your skin on the day you will simply be classified in a higher class and someone else in that class will have shot better, unless of course you have the highest score overall.

What discipline are you planning to shoot?

Plan to shoot sporting, I need to get involved now - done nothing but practice so far, want to start feeling some proper pressure. Might start with Worsley this Friday.

15 minutes ago, DanBettin said:

Plan to shoot sporting, I need to get involved now - done nothing but practice so far, want to start feeling some proper pressure. Might start with Worsley this Friday.

That's the best approach, just give it a go.  If you are unsure about anything when you get to the ground just ask, almost everybody will be happy to point you in the right direction.

The other thing to remember is that the only person that is caring about your score and how you shoot is yourself, nobody else is judging you or questioning your right to be there, so if you are at all worried about being out of your depth or the like then no need at all.

Get wired in and good luck.

Guest stevo
14 minutes ago, buze said:

You can also shoot birds only, and not join the CPSA, nothing stops you. You still get a score, you don't get classified but you can 'deduce' your 'class' easily enough...

As long as it’s NOT a CPSA registered event , 

Guest stevo
9 minutes ago, buze said:

Hmm I shot "CPSA" event at Churchill quite a few times, without being registered, and it's even cheaper (£5 less I think). 

I think you shot an open comp , not a CPSA registered comp as you have to be a member / day pass .Below is taken straight out of the technical rules book ( current ) as for your £5 less you just went targets only . 

Registered events are open exclusively to current CPSA members, members of other national clay shooting associations recognised by the CPSA or members of the public visiting the ground who have purchased a CPSA Day Pass provided that:
a) A current CPSA membership card (or proof of membership of another recognised national clay shooting association) is produced at the time of entry, or a CPSA Day Pass has been purchased.
For Clubman members entry restrictions apply (see paragraph g below). Shooters may join or renew their CPSA membership at the organising club when entering a registered event. New members’ scores must be marked with “NM” and their name on the electronic  le produced by the CPSA Shoot program.

Edited by stevo

Why is there *always* someone to disagree to every stupid statement ever made on this forum? it is absolutely *systematic*, it's like there's a blooming competition or something. And the tone is not "Oh, interesting, really, perhaps there's more flexibility in these rules than I believed" instead it's "You have no idea where you were and what you were doing because LOOK AT MY RULEBOOK so it can't /possibly/ happen, I wasn't there, I never asked, I never tried but blimey I certainly know it all."

https://www.ejchurchill.com/cpsa-registered-shoot/

I can show up at the desk, get a BO ticket and go shoot. I don't have a CPSA card, nor am I planning to. I did it many times. In fact I was also told I could do that at AGL on their friday shoot if I wished. Dunno about other grounds, nor do I care as they are too far away to be practical.

7 hours ago, DanBettin said:

Ye it's no big deal anyway, just curious as to how it works. I'm not expecting any prizes, just wondering. Thanks mate.

I'm at Worsley Friday! Shooting for  10.00 if you like some company??

Based in Manchester myself and I mainly shoot Old Glossop, Kingsley moor, Catton Hall with the odd trip thrown in for Oakedge ???

As you are based in Manchester you could consider trying Rixton & Astley Shooting Club at Astley near Leigh M29 7EW

We don't shoot competitions, but we do have a 100 bird shoot with currently 10 stands and 2 practice stands, with targets to suit all abilities.

We shoot fortnightly, shoot dates can be found on our website   http://www.astleygunclub.co.uk    click the events button.

We next shoot on Sunday 1st. April

Cafe opens at 9am.  Shooting commences at 10am.  Last entries 1pm.  No wad restrictions.

webber

Buze, Stevo responded initially as you gave potentially misleading advice, not every ground will let a non member shoot a registered competition.

Some grounds do let ‘guests’ shoot, as you have experienced, but strictly if it is a registered or selection shoot then they shouldn’t, at least according to the rules of the CPSA.  If it is a championship shoot then you cannot book on without being a member of one of the home nation’s organisations.

The same is true in Scotland and I imagine will be the case in Wales too.

Thankfully many grounds do take a more pragmatic approach, but not all, and in some disciplines they are stricter than others about being a member.

This is not a post to score points, simply adding a little bit more detail to a potentially misleading post.

Edited by grrclark

5 hours ago, Dunkield said:

I have never been a member of the CPSA and have shot dozens of registered shoots birds only - including Churchill's shoots through the summer months.

That may be the case, but, as others have pointed out, it shouldn't happen at Registered shoots, but which ground owner is going to turn away a shooter offering to pay for a card, which the ground owner can easily treat as a "ghost entry", i.e. no record of it being passed on to the CPSA, or indeed the Taxman..??

More cash in the back pocket, nobody's any the wiser...Kerching..!!

Cat.