NE Wildfowling consents consultation.

panoma1

No! The AUKWC is not a club.........it is a "not for profit" association of over 50 UK Wildfowling clubs, working to preserve the interests of traditional Wildfowling in the UK!......so does not tout for members! Lol!

But if any Wildfowling clubs are genuinely interested and want to explore getting involved, you can contact me via PM, and I will put you in touch with the organisers.

22 hours ago, panoma1 said:

If these restrictions are imposed by NE as conditions of your Clubs consent? Then, to the best of my knowedge it is not the norm! But I think NE (and the WWT/RSPB) wishes they were!!........these conditions are amongst the restrictions NE is currently looking to impose when awarding future Wildfowling consents 

No its not the Norm as a club it should be allowed to set its own bag limits if deemed needed NE have not the staff or knowledges of all ares to just use unverified figures or counts to set a limit ..This is not just my sport its my life long  way of life and I know when to stop so much more than a wet behind the ears uni lad or lass taken on by NE and trying to make their mark to get up the employment ladder .. I will not accept bag or visit limits in any way !!!!   I will say with visits I can visit a hundred times not fire a shot and leave as silently as I arrived ...Tell that to the Kite flyer the jetski the canoe the dog walker the birdy boy !!!!! I can go on and on but wont ! NE must listen !!!

The whole consultation process is a monumental gold plating exercise by a government department that is out of control.

If I sit on the foreshore with a gun but don`t fire a shot this counts as a "visit" and is somehow detrimental to the environment and needs to be curtailed. Yet if I don`t have a gun but allow my dog to run around off the lead disturbing the entire ecosystem this warrants no comment, measurement or restriction. This whole process is a shamefull example of anti shooting bias allowed to run riot.

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:50, muncher said:

The part that worries me ,was the supposed high % of replied in favour of bag limits,that is a very dangerous game.

I would have thought the majority of law abiding wild fowlers have there own self imposed bag limits and don't need to be told what amount they can and cant shoot .

Re: disturbance on the shore on one area i shoot we have helicopters flying about from time to time, you should see the amount of Geese they "disturb" more than you could ever do with a couple of gunshots.

And as for bag limits, field based firing squads take more geese than any foreshore wildfowler will ever take

32 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

How will a bag limit effect puntgunners? I am ****** if I am going to not pull the lanyard because I might shoot over my bag limit. 

Easy! Stop puntgunning! NE could do this by making it a condition of consent, that only shoulder guns and no gun, say above 8 bore can be used!...........don't put it past them!

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I would have thought the majority of law abiding wild fowlers have there own self imposed bag limits and don't need to be told what amount they can and cant shoot .

Exactly, but that is not enough for the powers that be.

19 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Easy! Stop puntgunning! NE could do this by making it a condition of consent, that only shoulder guns and no gun, say above 8 bore can be used!...........don't put it past them!

Well. 

Obviously you are dead right!!

I'm not sure I'd know how to react if that were to happen. My great grandfather was a market gunner, my grandfather, my dad and myself all puntgunners. Puntgunning is largely unchanged since my great grandfathers days. I have a two year old son and I want him to have the opportunity to experience what the four generations of his family have experienced before him, and to have the opportunity to pass that on to his son etc. 

21 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Well. 

I'm not sure I'd know how to react if that were to happen. My great grandfather was a market gunner, my grandfather, my dad and myself all puntgunners. Puntgunning is largely unchanged since my great grandfathers days. I have a two year old son and I want him to have the opportunity to experience what the four generations of his family have experienced before him, and to have the opportunity to pass that on to his son etc. 

That's why some Wildfowlers have decided to try to do something now.....rather than wait until it's too late!

45 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Well. 

Our estuary was once well known for wildfowling and more so for punt gunning , when I joined the local wildfowling club in 1964 the estuary was free shooting for everyone , you could shoot when you liked ( except Sundays ) and with  whatever size gun you wanted to shoot with , then at the meetings the first rumours were brought up about the estuary being made into a nature reserve , the rumours got stronger and stronger for the next four years, and then in 1968 it was made into a reserve with restricted wildfowling , part of the agreement was punt gunning was banned and a 8 bore was the biggest gun you use and no shooting on a Monday ,

Permits were introduced and bird hides erected  and that was the beginning of the end as far coastal fowling goes , we haven't seen a punt gun fired since then and we will certainly never see one fired now .  

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Our estuary was once well known for wildfowling and more so for punt gunning , when I joined the local wildfowling club in 1964 the estuary was free shooting for everyone , you could shoot when you liked ( except Sundays ) and with  whatever size gun you wanted to shoot with , then at the meetings the first rumours were brought up about the estuary being made into a nature reserve , the rumours got stronger and stronger for the next four years, and then in 1968 it was made into a reserve with restricted wildfowling , part of the agreement was punt gunning was banned and a 8 bore was the biggest gun you use and no shooting on a Monday ,

Permits were introduced and bird hides erected  and that was the beginning of the end as far coastal fowling goes , we haven't seen a punt gun fired since then and we will certainly never see one fired now .  

Sad story. 

Puntgunning (and wildfowling) was  relied upon (not solely obviously) during WW2 as a source of protein. It's a part of our country's heritage. 

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

That's why some Wildfowlers have decided to try to do something now.....rather than wait until it's too late!

Edited by ClemFandango
and I will gladly join them.

As to the 50+ clubs it was formed due to Basc not following the wishers of true fowlers but now with a sea change at Basc we are at last all on bored together on this major issue !!!! Lets work hard to keep it that way no more BASC Bashing but constructive work to achieve what we we alll want !

And I must say its good to see that BASC have already replied that they are not for Bag limits  this is interesting as a lot of respondents  replied that they saw it as a good way to manage their fowl ,of course NE loaded the question in such a way that you might have felt the bag limit choice was a better way to stay fowling ,When in  reality it is not scientifically  even proven so well done Basc to flag that NE  TRICK UP RIGHT AT THE START !!! 

But we all need to be aware that their are some at NE and in other circles that will use every trick in the book to drive a wedge into the new found working relationship between Basc and the AUKWC , to divide and disrupt is their aim and we all need to rise above those insidious attempts to stay firm and try to protect our sport ....along the road hiccups will happen individuals will say or do something that could upset the apple cart we want to make sure that does not happen and as I said move on when that occurs as the end goal is to important to  lose out with inter political squabbles !

Also its noted that at least two outside bodys when replying to the consultation have said they want to see consents lasting only 10 year maximum .. well in my club we have always had a 15 year lease and when concents came in they also run for 15 years as we have never had a issue I will accept nothing less than another 15 year consent when I apply in two years time  for lease renewal !!!

Disturbance by wildfowlers? I've sat outside the edge of the bombing range (Lincolnshire side of the Wash) with two Chinook helicopters buzzing low and fast firing hundreds of live rounds from gatling type guns into the targets out on the tideline. Now THAT'S disturbance, don't seem to bother the birds much, only temporarily!