Non lead, non steel 10 bore cartridges

grahamch

Am in the process of acquiring an English 10 bore. 

Are there any commercial suppliers of 10 bore bismuth, Itm, itx loads out there?

I recall Pantile Guns did them but cant find any contact details for them. 

I wont use enough shells to make loading my own viable.

TIA

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:53, grahamch said:

Am in the process of acquiring an English 10 bore. 

Are there any commercial suppliers of 10 bore bismuth, Itm, itx loads out there?

I recall Pantile Guns did them but cant find any contact details for them. 

I wont use enough shells to make loading my own viable.

TIA

Loading your own needn't cost too much.

have a chat with alan myres at garstang will not put you wrong    or reload a load to suit you components from alan or clay game / Folkestone engineering etc  all you need to  reload is a scales and a rto to tailor your load  and a nice pastime as well    have not bought shop loads in 15 years for lead or non toxic  rather nice to kill something you have made yourself  loads of info on the www. or ask on here some really good guys willing to help 

Edited by Saltings

If you can find them I would expect a 50gm load of Bismuth to cost at least £5-00 each, even buying it loose from Clay and Game will cost £3-50 per 50 gm

a couple of boxes is going to be £250, I think it would be less costly and more interesting to roll your own, as saltings said get a RTO, a tub of propellant and some ITX 

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, greenergp said:

Bismuth shot is £69 per kilo but you can buy a kilo of Bismuth for £29 incl post and just alloy it and make your own shot.

Its quite easy to do you can melt Bismuth on a household cooker and use tin solder to alloy it

hmm that sounds interesting james any more info or link

You can get bismuth from here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/high-pure-Bismuth-Metal-Bismuth-ingot-1kg-Bismuth-99-99-pure-Free-Shipping-/152807091202?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Making it into shot involves making a mould from rtv rubber and casting the shot, its a bit time consuming but easy to do, i used some beadchain for making the mould and then cast "sticks" of shot each pour has about 60 to 90 pieces of shot that need to be clipped into individual shot.

Thats the time consuming part.

To the OP could you not buy some lead cartridges and open the crimps empty the shot out and replace with bismuth shot from Clay and Game you could re-close the crimps and finish off with a Gaep spinner?

Cookoff would be the man to know if this is possible and safe.

2 hours ago, greenergp said:

Bismuth shot is £69 per kilo but you can buy a kilo of Bismuth for £29 incl post and just alloy it and make your own shot.

Its quite easy to do you can melt Bismuth on a household cooker and use tin solder to alloy it

I would never buy bismuth at that price, it is ridiculous! Buying from abroad would be the way to go.

33 minutes ago, greenergp said:

You can get bismuth from here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/high-pure-Bismuth-Metal-Bismuth-ingot-1kg-Bismuth-99-99-pure-Free-Shipping-/152807091202?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Making it into shot involves making a mould from rtv rubber and casting the shot, its a bit time consuming but easy to do, i used some beadchain for making the mould and then cast "sticks" of shot each pour has about 60 to 90 pieces of shot that need to be clipped into individual shot.

Thats the time consuming part.

To the OP could you not buy some lead cartridges and open the crimps empty the shot out and replace with bismuth shot from Clay and Game you could re-close the crimps and finish off with a Gaep spinner?

Cookoff would be the man to know if this is possible and safe.

I would have thought that it could be safe, provided it was done correctly. Opening up loaded cartridges is never likely to get you a good looking crimp.

Its not something to get overtly anal over though.You find  homeloaders,not all, but some , i have noticed on this site  boasting about their homeloads they  create,many  being well over CIP guidelines yet they do it none the less--as i do ---and thats fine  but if anyone  dares to load up a round without their queen bee sanction  its like a drag queens hair spray convention.Stay safe but dont let anyone make you think its  like merlins wizardry coz it bloody well aint.Download some clay and game data and ask around .plenty of bismuth  loads .Im after a nobel 82 one right now myself.And ill end up doing a load i done for alphamax style rounds 40 years ago  --and ill not wreck my gun--and ill get geese as i always do.

Edited by bishop

45 minutes ago, bishop said:

Its not something to get overtly anal over though.You find  homeloaders,not all, but some , i have noticed on this site  boasting about their homeloads they  create,many  being well over CIP guidelines yet they do it none the less--as i do ---and thats fine  but if anyone  dares to load up a round without their queen bee sanction  its like a drag queens hair spray convention.Stay safe but dont let anyone make you think its  like merlins wizardry coz it bloody well aint.Download some clay and game data and ask around .plenty of bismuth  loads .Im after a nobel 82 one right now myself.And ill end up doing a load i done for alphamax style rounds 40 years ago  --and ill not wreck my gun--and ill get geese as i always do.

Here here

Grahamch  if you fancy a trip to near York I will load you a couple of boxes and show you how to reload pm me.I load my victorain 8 bore with bismuth the cheapest way is to buy a box of eley alphamax 46gramm bismuth from York guns at £25 per box for bbs and take the shot out of them works a treat hope this helps bpg.

Guest cookoff013
On 22/03/2018 at 17:28, islandgun said:

So my understanding now,  is that you can load bismuth using lead recipes..?

Um. No.

But I did, and had them tested. They were fine. 36g lead vs 32g bismuth. Same space. This is the point i did that nontoxic load assay