Another fine muntjac

Dunkield

Thought it would be a good idea to get yesterday evening before the weather closed in. I started out stalking into some roe but the wind swung round to the east as got close do that was that. 

Then it was a case of reversing everything I normally do, jumped in the truck and went to the opposite side of the woods and there they were.

Shot this fine looking chap in the last hour, gralloched him, stood up slowly and another one had drifted out if the wood in the intervening minutes. So I shot her as well and started the drag back.

I know I was downwind but this roebuck just stood there staring, I must have got to within 15 feet before he ran, I only had my useless phone camera so not sure how well the picture will come out as it was a bit dimsy by then.

All in all a great evening, just goes to show with stalking you need to mix it up when the weather does strange things.

IMAG5052.jpg

IMAG5059.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, almost all of my deer go to the dealer these days but I had to keep that one. Perfect size & body weight for the table IMO.

I shot another with my guest Sunday evening in the exact spot the roebuck was stood in the second picture.

Bit of warmth and it was teeming, come on spring.

I am stalking Ninja you know :ninja:

Seriously though on my patch, roe hate being bumped during the pheasant season, whereas muntjac are a little more tolerant of it.

Spooked roe will run and invariably stop, only briefly, then either settle or just go.

Spooked muntjac just go and never stop usually alerting everything within half a mile!

16 hours ago, Dunkield said:

Thanks, almost all of my deer go to the dealer these days but I had to keep that one. Perfect size & body weight for the table IMO.

I shot another with my guest Sunday evening in the exact spot the roebuck was stood in the second picture.

Bit of warmth and it was teeming, come on spring.

Tasty little blighter I bet. I am working my way through some Sika and Fallow venison at the moment, so tasty. I tend to get to keep the smaller ones I shoot with a friend which invariably means they are the best eating :good:

Yep, that one will do fine.  Mmmmmmm!!  Muntie backstrap steaks sizzling in a hot skillet with a little butter and fresh garlic.  Sometimes deer are completly dumb and another time will suddenly jump and flee like a giant hornet as stung them.  Had a roe doe pop out onto the ride about 20yrds from me once. I was completely in the open and my GSP was alongside my leg.

We both froze.  The doe did the hard look, then the dipping head, then the sie by side head check, relaxed and walked right up to us, passing me at arms length. I put my arm out and stroke her rump. She then took to the air and ran for about twenty yards behind a willow tree , then peeped round as much as to say, What the hell was that!!??

My GSP Mole, body still rigid on point, looked up at me as if saying ..DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!!!