steel shot sizes

In my ongoing pursuit of reloading excellence...:lol:.. i deconstructed a Lyavale max game hp steel shot 1's, . The payload was spot on but the shot size was much closer to the size 2 from clay and game,  I have patterned the Lyavale and it is a  better pattern than my homeloads but is this in part due to there being smaller shot than i imagined.

Are clay and game shot sizes American, there is no mention of actual dimensions on the tub

I think it is about time all cartridges should give the shot size in mils not some bizarre regional size . Comercial loaders would not like this however as they might actually have to put in what they say . Shot sizes seem to me to be a bit like muzzle velocity in that they are very flexible . I was told a long while ago that I was being unrealistic to expect the actual shot size that was printed on the box as it would not make any difference to the majority of shooters - one of the reasons I load what I actually want because to me it dose make a difference.

1 hour ago, swan40 said:

I think it is about time all cartridges should give the shot size in mils not some bizarre regional size . Comercial loaders would not like this however as they might actually have to put in what they say . Shot sizes seem to me to be a bit like muzzle velocity in that they are very flexible . I was told a long while ago that I was being unrealistic to expect the actual shot size that was printed on the box as it would not make any difference to the majority of shooters - one of the reasons I load what I actually want because to me it dose make a difference.

Agreed Im not sure whether Im patterning 1's or 2's, 

On another thread I asked what was others preferred shot size was, 2's were popular....

Edited by islandgun

Once you have decided on the shot size and gone to the trouble of pattern testing them and decided it suits your needs who is to say the next batch you buy will be the same. I have found 3 different sizes of shot in one make of cartridge (that were all supposed to be the same) I have used in the past and no not a cheapy . This is one of the reasons that top competitive shooters buy large quatities of the same batch to ensure consistent  known results .

Guest cookoff013
4 hours ago, fieldwanderer said:

I moved over to steel from c&g last summer  (cheap as I can, for pigeons) I've been using 5s for years now and decided to stick with that. They do seem bigger though - I vaguely remember reading that if you'd use lead 6s you'd want steel 5s for the same result.....

Is that what c&g have done?

well not really, if you take a 1300fps model, to have the same performance at 35yards in energy retention, you would have to use 3 shotsizes bigger. so lead 6s are equivalent to steel 3s, lead 5s are equivalent to steel #2 thats the 1300fps model. the problems compound this are steel shotsizes are graded in size like lead, and there are some discrepensies with shotsize via US and UK.

this is all about the density difference, 11.2 vs 7.x something. 

while the shotsizes do seem large, its the fact that its less dense. on the 1500fps model you probably could get away with using 2 shotsizes bigger. but it would take a whole heap of energy to get it there.  and not much different from comparing 1500fps vs 1300fps energy wise. most are quite comfortable with the "go up 2 shotsizes rule" and that physiologically means that a lead pellet#6 weighs the same as a steel #4. shoot them and they will be very different energies at 40yards, the steel lacking in energy. the "go up 3 shotsize" rule was something to overcome the ballistic inneficiencies of steel shot and was something i do campaign for. afterall, all shots are critiqued at 30-40 yards, not what is put in the shell.

whilst tungsten being very dense, and comparing the hw13 for instance it is very concieveable to go down 2 shotsizes to be near like for like for lead and still with the 1300fps model. so a lead 6 could be replaced with a hw13 8# or some such.

you catch my drift? 

11 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

well not really, if you take a 1300fps model, to have the same performance at 35yards in energy retention, you would have to use 3 shotsizes bigger. so lead 6s are equivalent to steel 3s, lead 5s are equivalent to steel #2 thats the 1300fps model. the problems compound this are steel shotsizes are graded in size like lead, and there are some discrepensies with shotsize via US and UK.

this is all about the density difference, 11.2 vs 7.x something. 

while the shotsizes do seem large, its the fact that its less dense. on the 1500fps model you probably could get away with using 2 shotsizes bigger. but it would take a whole heap of energy to get it there.  and not much different from comparing 1500fps vs 1300fps energy wise. most are quite comfortable with the "go up 2 shotsizes rule" and that physiologically means that a lead pellet#6 weighs the same as a steel #4. shoot them and they will be very different energies at 40yards, the steel lacking in energy. the "go up 3 shotsize" rule was something to overcome the ballistic inneficiencies of steel shot and was something i do campaign for. afterall, all shots are critiqued at 30-40 yards, not what is put in the shell.

whilst tungsten being very dense, and comparing the hw13 for instance it is very concieveable to go down 2 shotsizes to be near like for like for lead and still with the 1300fps model. so a lead 6 could be replaced with a hw13 8# or some such.

you catch my drift? 

I'm not in total agreement with you here. I have used a lot of steel 32gm 4 and 5, and they are a very nasty load for pigeons.

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

30 metres, factory Lyavale and home load lead, it wasn't an exhaustive test by any means, the first of many....

it will be interesting to see the difference at 40 and 50. 

My gut would tell me that Steel shot of the same size, being less dense than lead will start to lose energy more quickly at extended range.

I have been wrong before though. 

8 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

it will be interesting to see the difference at 40 and 50. 

My gut would tell me that Steel shot of the same size, being less dense than lead will start to lose energy more quickly at extended range.

I have been wrong before though. 

The catalogue test is an empirical one but works when comparing like for  like (lead Vs lead or steel  Vs steel). When steel was first introduced in Italy I did run the same test but found it inconclusive as Lead give away more energy and deforms on impact while steel retains its shape and penetrates more. This doesn't necessarily translate in more energy though

6 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

The catalogue test is an empirical one but works when comparing like for  like (lead Vs lead or steel  Vs steel). When steel was first introduced in Italy I did run the same test but found it inconclusive as Lead give away more energy and deforms on impact while steel retains its shape and penetrates more. This doesn't necessarily translate in more energy though

That's an interesting observation. 

I have heard stories of duck shot with steel that fly on as if not hit only to crumple hundreds of yards away. I wonder is that is due to the increased penetration/decreased energy that you describe.

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

That's an interesting observation. 

I have heard stories of duck shot with steel that fly on as if not hit only to crumple hundreds of yards away. I wonder is that is due to the increased penetration/decreased energy that you describe.

I think that theory is a load of rubbish. Anyone who has shot a lot of birds with lead has had exactly the same thing happen.

2 hours ago, motty said:

I think that theory is a load of rubbish. Anyone who has shot a lot of birds with lead has had exactly the same thing happen.

True.

Although similar the two issues are phisically different

Steel penetrates the animal and if hits in a non vital point (assuming not all pellets required hit the target) the quarry is allowed to continue until the internal bleeding kills it or weakens it.

With lead this happens even when the quarry is  hit with many pellets and is due to the speed and residual energy e.g.when the pellets hit the targert with insufficient energy to stop it. However, the energy passed by the pellets causes sufficient damage to cause internal failures that will result in the death of the quarry. 

Obviously an internal organs failure due to trauma, kills the animal relatively quickly compared to a simple loss of blood. This is parlty compensated by the larger steel pellets and by the fact that steel patterns are tighter 

However, I need to stress that if you hit the quarry with sufficient pellets of the correct size at the intended distance, this situations can be limited to exceptions

Edited by Continental Shooter

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

fair point. I don't know either way as I haven't shot a lot of steel cartridges.

I have shot a lot of birds with steel. My findings are that birds that are hit correctly die the same as they do when hit with lead. Organs pierced sufficiently with any shot type usually means a swift death.

Guest cookoff013

i love all these analogies and stuff, 

the best comparison i ever heard was comparing a needle penetrating skin vs bein hit with a freight train !

On 22/03/2018 at 08:15, cookoff013 said:

i love all these analogies and stuff, 

the best comparison i ever heard was comparing a needle penetrating skin vs bein hit with a freight train !

Which one would you like to be hit by... at 1300 FPS though? :lol::lol:  

What I do found amusing are people arguing science (and it's laws) based on...legends, stories or gut feelings... 

Edited by Continental Shooter