Stainless steel rods

Cosd

Anyone know best place to get some 4mm square stainless steel rods please?

Wanting to make my own bbq skewers, so need to be a marine grade I’m guessing, so can anyone tell me also what grade (technical term) I’m looking for?

Not decided yet but will be around 500mm long each and will be wanting to make around 20. So I’m happy to buy long lengths and cut them myself. 

Thanks

Cos

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Overall, 316 food grade stainless, you could try these people… https://www.metalsupermarkets.co.uk/

Can I ask why you are making these as you can buy them ready made on places like EBay, and they are cheaper than buying the steel and making them your self?

Thank you and of course. 

I already have have quite a few, but they are much thinner and have bent over time. 

4mm will be very sturdy plus I want to make them extra long and no handles. 

24 minutes ago, Cosd said:

Thank you and of course. 

I already have have quite a few, but they are much thinner and have bent over time. 

4mm will be very sturdy plus I want to make them extra long and no handles. 

I just had a quick google, 304 is half the price of 316, £15 ex vat for 3m of 6mm square.

1mm cutting discs and a good file to remove burs as both 304/316 are a pain to machine!

1 minute ago, Big Mat said:

I just had a quick google, 304 is half the price of 316, £15 ex vat for 3m of 6mm square.

1mm cutting discs and a good file to remove burs as both 304/316 are a pain to machine!

Will 304 by ok as far as rust is concerned?

6mm too thick, but liking the price!! I will look at some 4mm

5 hours ago, Brookie2 said:

Just get some 316 stainless tig welding rods. They come in 2.3/3.2/4mm about 1m long. 

I have to confess to hammering the flux off arc welding rods, giving them a quick rub with emery cloth and using them as skewers!

Thanks for all the help so far guys. 

Seemingly 4mm square isn’t easy to find. Fount 6mm 304 3m lengths at a reasonable £14+vat, but is a little too thick. I’ll keep hunting around but may just make a few in 6mm and see how they work out. 

2 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Why are you going for square instead of round? 

Easy enough to find round but 4mm square seems very hard to find

Being skewers I need the flat edges to turn them to cook on all sides. The BBQ’s I use don’t use grates 

It’s a Greek thing :)

2 hours ago, amateur said:

I hadn’t seen those, I called a few metal companies and every time the sizes start at 6mm. 

Your first link link is in fact 4mm and 500 long but seems very expensive when I can get 6mm at 3m for £14+vat

ypur second link are only 300 long so no good for me. 

Thanks anyway, your first link supplier is in Cyprus so maybe Ill call a cousin out there to see how much he can get them for me as I can get them shipped for nothing. 

Cos