Very strong wind

crowcaller

Was looking at a rape field that has been heavily  shot in the last couple of weeks ,a few birds in the trees and a trickle of birds coming in watched for over half hour and decided to set up .put the hide under a oak Tree that birds were pulling to when I was watching  , set out  a dozen she'll deeks o  spring  sticks and had birds looking but not committing  shot a couple of long birds and set them up on  sticks above the rape it made a deference some birds decoyed some flew past with the wind in their tales wow when you hit one it was over a 100 yds before it hit the ground  had snow showers and then sun would come out , ended up with 25 birds not a big bag but but what sport in the wind very enjoyable.

18 hours ago, marsh man said:

You done well to keep your hide up around an Oak tree let alone shoot any pigeons in that wind , well deserved bag ,  I often wonder what is the worse , having to much wind or not enough ?, today I think was to strong .

I personally think that a strong wind is very over rated for pigeon shooting. I would much rather just a light breeze to shoot in.

1 hour ago, motty said:

I personally think that a strong wind is very over rated for pigeon shooting. I would much rather just a light breeze to shoot in.

My brother used to recon a 15mph wind was ideal , I would say 10 / 15 mph is about right , more so from behind or sideways , blowing head on is something I hate and try to avoid , half the fun of decoying is watching pigeons reacting to your decoys in front , I don't like sitting there for ages and a pigeon comes from behind and in a split second it is all over .

Apart from what as already been said, the other thing in a really strong wind is your bloody hide poles end up at all sorts of angles, especially when the ground is soft, (I know, use guide ropes) as marsh man said 10-15 mph is just right, well for me it is.

Yep JDog that wind over the last few days has been bloody cold and it does not take long for the heat to be drawn away from your body.

I have mixed feelings about shooting in a strong wind. This morning it was just too strong, we managed 16 on the rape, before giving it up as a bad job. However I do enjoy flighting pigeons in a strong wind as it can provided some exhilarating sport even though it will not be a bag filler.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I am finding that the strong winds of late have just been too much, partly due to the wind's strength and partly due to the cold air it contained.

I agree with the above statement , As you get older , pigeon shooting is all about sport and enjoyment and the cold wind of late offers very little enjoyment when you are to cold to enjoy the sport.

I spend more than enough time to keep the farmer happy in the decent weather ( when we get it ) and he wouldn't think no more of me if I was sitting on a wind swept hedge trying to keep the pigeons off , far easier to put a gas gun on until the weather improve .

I got out Wednesday on the downwind side of a small wood, wind was about 15 mph but as birds ducked in behind the trees they were coming in very well to my decoys, picked 37 in just under 4 hours with another 5 lost in the undergrowth, wind got stronger into the afternoon so I packed in as the birds were going past like missiles.

went out this afternoon for a walk through the woods , hundreds of birds in the trees but couldn't get near them as they used the wind to shoot off at all angles, set a few decoys but the wind was gusting up around 25 mph , probably more as it was bringing down dead wood all around me, managed 7 picked but almost impossible to match their speed especially as they twisted and turned past the decoys, but it was nice to get out, just the odd snow flurry but the chill on the wind must have been minus zero as all the puddles were freezing over , had to call it a day when my fingers turned blue and I couldn't get the cartridges into the gun.

They say Wednesday will be nice so that will be my next session fingers crossed once I've thawed them out..

Edited by lakeside1000