Nearly To Cold To shoot Pigeons

marsh man

With light snow showers and a strong bitterly cold wind the thought of sitting on a hedge today wasn't that appealing after only getting small bags during the week , so after reading the paper and a bit of breakfast I thought I will pop down the road and see how they are getting on lifting the beet .

As it turned out they had lifted about three quarters of the crop and must have decided to have the weekend off as all the equipment was on the field but no one to run it , there are always some pigeons on these fields as they never get shot due to houses nearby and today there was 150 / 200 , with the strong wind they were going backwards and forwards to a nice little wood on the edge of the marsh , walking down to wood a nice lot got out while there was some trying to get in , is it worth going back home and putting the magnet out for a couple of hours ? , yes of course it is , so an hour later I had the magnet and a floater out , no decoys in case it snowed hard and I wanted to make a quick exit and no hide as I could stand behind some brambles .

Pigeons started to come back straight away and I managed the first four out of five shots , good start but it wasn't to last as the wind must have been nigh on gale force and for each one shot the next two lived to fight another day and this went on for the next three hours.

With my coffee all drunk and the cold had penetrated my extra layers of clothing it was time to call it a day , after I had walked across the field to pick one up that dropped out of the tree I didn't realise how cold it was walking back into the wind , still I had 19 to lay out in the garage when I got home , not a big bag by any means , but the sport was lot better than I have done lately and very little work was involved , GOOD LUCK to anyone else who braved the conditions today.

Brave man MM, a bag of birds howver large or small on the spir of the moment and in adverse conditions is always well deserved.  I did look at the forecast at 6..30am and it did show a reasonable morning and a nice bit of wind, with 40+ coming in after lunch time.  I had a few jobs around the yard to do and by the time I had been out there half an hour I was frozen. I decided then and there the pigeons could have the day unmolested. Better luck with Mondays weather so I will try and get out. 

21 minutes ago, JDog said:

Well done MM. You were braver than most. Nineteen in those conditions is very good. 

Here in the Wolds we have a lot of snow and drifts.

THANKS Mr JDog , we have had no laying snow and the showers were only light , the wind though was the killer , I walked up the river first thing this morning and it wasn't to bad with the wind on your back but turning round and walking back made your lugs tingle and your eyes water , more like January than mid March.

23 minutes ago, muncher said:

Well done MM, Motty my brother an I had a go blimey it was cold and gale force winds at times ,think we managed 32 I shot very badly, but we had a good old natter. 

THANKS muncher , nice to know I wasn't the only one out today , did Motty bring the dark chocolate Hobnobs ?, no chance of them melting , the beet campaign must be running late as I cant remember lifting and carting sugar beet as late as this, have they finished up your way yet ?

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Brave man MM, a bag of birds howver large or small on the spir of the moment and in adverse conditions is always well deserved.  I did look at the forecast at 6..30am and it did show a reasonable morning and a nice bit of wind, with 40+ coming in after lunch time.  I had a few jobs around the yard to do and by the time I had been out there half an hour I was frozen. I decided then and there the pigeons could have the day unmolested. Better luck with Mondays weather so I will try and get out. 

THANKS Walker 570 , no point in getting to cold and laying yourself up , I had the protection of the wood and with two pairs of just about every bit of clothing on to keep the cold out, I just about lasted the three hours out before my fingers went numb , one consolation , there wasn't any flies about :lol: