Shooting Between the Showers

Shooting solo this weekend and with the weather forcast need my head examined. Set out looking with no pre conceived idea of where I'll finish up.

After three farms no birds evident so starting to think should I really be out shooting in this weather, fourth farm one hundred plus in the trees furthest from the road. I watched them for ten minutes and they were dropping in on the rape, so decide the leave them and drive to another farm, no birds so went to the farm they were dropping in on. I had a brief conversation with the farmer and he questioned my sanity but said carry on. I drove back and the birds were still in the trees hanging on for grim death in the strong wind. It took me two trips the carry all the gear to the furthest part of the field. The first thing to set up was the brolly to prevent the wind chill and then the hide round it and finaly decoys. While I was setting up I had a few birds returning and anticipated a good day. While I was setting up it was cloudy when I was ready to shoot the sun came out right in my eyes. The first birds back came in tens and you shoot two and spook eight. Then the first snow shower came and I had a complete " White Out". The snow was very fine and the strong wind just blew it away. I had a few more birds return, then more snow and that was the pattern for the day. I'd started with ten fresh birds at 11.00 and by 14.00 I'd had thirty birds the wind was that strong at times birds tried to commit and just could not flight in to the  vortex of the wind. I shot till 17.00 and ended up with fortythree pigeon and one crow. This was very good for the type of day

100_3072.jpg

The regular snow showers
100_3074.jpg

43 Pigeon and 1 crow

Well done, Supertash. Myself, Muncher and Farma Geddon decided to brave the wind and snow yesterday. We saw several hundred on a block of rape. Instead of splitting up, we decided to share a hide. The conditions really did us no favours. We stayed for a couple of hours and shot an enjoyable 32. I believe that if it had been 15 degrees with minimal wind, we would have at least doubled that.

Kudos to anyone who got some sport in those cold conditions.

6 hours ago, motty said:

I believe that if it had been 15 degrees with minimal wind, we would have at least doubled that.

Kudos to anyone who got some sport in those cold conditions.

Yes motty, I believe you're dead right, but we get a lot of pigeon shooting experts on here who reckon that they're likely to get bigger bags in sub zero conditions,....."all we need is a cold snap"..??

Well, dream on guys, that's not how I see it, most of my 100 plus days on Winter Rape have been on overcast days with a moderate prevailing South Westerly wind, with temperatures in the range 8 to 12 degrees.

Cat.

2 hours ago, Catamong said:

Yes motty, I believe you're dead right, but we get a lot of pigeon shooting experts on here who reckon that they're likely to get bigger bags in sub zero conditions,....."all we need is a cold snap"..??

Well, dream on guys, that's not how I see it, most of my 100 plus days on Winter Rape have been on overcast days with a moderate prevailing South Westerly wind, with temperatures in the range 8 to 12 degrees.

Cat.

We should get those conditions next week. Pigeons should be hungry especially those in areas where rape has been covered in snow.