Browning 525 Top Lever Sticking

ADT06

Hi all,

Bought a used 525 yesterday in mint condition at a great price, only 6 months old and hardly used.

However the only issue with it is that the top lever is sticking when opening the gun. It takes a bit of force to initially open the lever, and you can feel the locking bolt unsticking from whatever it caught up on, then everything opens smoothly once past the initial sticking. With the barrels not mounted, the lever operates smoothly with no sticking so doesn’t appear to be an issue with the action mechanism.

I can only think it’s something to do with how the locking bolt is fitting into the monobloc of the barrels when closing. There is no galling, no burrs, etc on either the bolt or the recess of the monobloc. Everything is lubricated nicely.

Anyone else had this issue, does it simply wear in? Or does it need some adjustment by a gunsmith?

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by ADT06

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

Did it have that issue when you bought it?

who did you buy it off and what did they say about it? 

Bought it from someone on Guntrader. To be perfectly honest it’s the first browning I have bought, so assumed it was a combination of the gun needing to bed in (as it’s fired less than 500 carts) and it needing a bit of cleaning/lubrication. So my error, and lack of knowledge!

I’ve just been reading up on it and appears to be a somewhat common issue - especially on the 725. Think I’ll call the gunsmith tomorrow and get it booked in, 90% sure it’s just a slight fitting issue between the bolt and monobloc recess that 20 seconds of filing will solve (hopefully!)

Wouldn't worry about it. Mine was like that from new, i.e. very tight.

I just got into gripping the stock with my right hand and using my left thumb to push the lever.

A couple of years later and circa 15 thousand rounds and it's still tight, but not as tight in that I can open it with the thumb of the hand I'm holding the stock, the right. So slowly loosening off.  

Sounds like you got a gun in actual "new" condition.  

1 minute ago, Uilleachan said:

I just got into gripping the stock with my right hand and using my left thumb to push the lever.

A couple of years later and circa 15 thousand rounds and it's still tight, but not as tight in that I can open it with the thumb of the hand I'm holding the stock, the right. So slowly loosening off.  

I tend to agree with this! guns are made to such tight tolerances these days, I imagine "tightness" is commonplace?......It should ease with use!

9 minutes ago, Uilleachan said:

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I tend to agree with this! guns are made to such tight tolerances these days, I imagine "tightness" is commonplace?......It should ease with use!

Cheers guys - hoping that’s the case and it will wear in, its 99% a brand new gun.

Think I will take it to the gunsmiths anyway just to be on the safe side, wouldn’t like a costly locking bolt replacement! 

Here is a video of the issue:

2 minutes ago, ADT06 said:

Cheers guys - hoping that’s the case and it will wear in, its 99% a brand new gun.

Think I will take it to the gunsmiths anyway just to be on the safe side, wouldn’t like a costly locking bolt replacement! 

hello, that looks to me like my own 525, all it means with the top lever slighly to the right when closed is it will wear with use over time and 1000s of cartridges, i expect it is made that way with browning, as long as it snap shuts  i would not worry, but for peace of mind your RFD could check it over,   

9 minutes ago, ADT06 said:

Being so tight from new I took to be a good sign, first brand-new shot gun I've owned and, as I mention above it has loosened off a little. So in my view it's just a case putting a good few thousand rounds through it. 

hello, i purchased my 525 still with warranty card and cased with 5 chokes, sold as second hand but like yours in as new condition had very little use, maybe even the shop demo gun, best fitting O/U i have used without the need to alter stock, as for using 1000s of cartridges to bed in the action that will be quite a few years for me:lol:    

Had few guns like this , Browning /Miroku . Common fault was that the barrel wings were hard on the action body sides . There needs to be a clearence gap of .002 /3" between them .Another thing to check is there also needs to be a similar gap between the forend iron and the action at the front of the body . If these clearances are lacking then the bolt is working against the action and not on the bite thus making it hard to open ,seeming that the leaver is sticking . This is basic lack of proper freeing off at the factory .

Once these have been checked and adjusted if need be then it may be that the bites need polishing or easing off but do NOT do anything to the bites before checking all, other causes of fouling or lack of clearances. 

Edited by Gunman

One thing; when 'tight', the metal can easily 'pick up' and cause galling.  Make sure you always have a thin film of grease on the tight surfaces.  This is especially important in the 'bedding in' period.  It will make the bedding in slower, but will also make sure it beds in correctly.

9 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

One thing; when 'tight', the metal can easily 'pick up' and cause galling.  Make sure you always have a thin film of grease on the tight surfaces.  This is especially important in the 'bedding in' period.  It will make the bedding in slower, but will also make sure it beds in correctly.

Good advice.

As previously said - don't worry too much about it. Keep all greased / lubed at it'l be fine. I do most of my shooting with a 525. I bought it nearly new and it did this. A fair few thousand shells later and it has stopped.  All smooth although the top lever is still well overto the tight. Enjoy your 525. Cracking gun.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:53, Uilleachan said:

Mine was very much like that, and is still tight after a couple of years and thousands of rounds. One day I hope it will open one handed after Ive fired my shots, but I'm not holding my breath :)

1 hour ago, throdgrain said:

Mine was very much like that, and is still tight after a couple of years and thousands of rounds. One day I hope it will open one handed after Ive fired my shots, but I'm not holding my breath

Had to use the left thumb a few times today to assist in opening, and when I was cleaning the gun, mindful of this thread, I put on my magno specs to look for galling issues, none that I could see. I didn't notice any issues shooting the sporting course choked half & half either, missed a few but that was me rather than the set up. Even managed to hit the easy stand 1 (auchterhouse) double, with a single shot :) But then that was the wind moving things around rather than intelligent design. 

Must have used the thumb 3 or 4 times, out of 275 shots that I can live with. 

@ADT06, enjoy it mate.  

Edited by Uilleachan

Now that you have the grease, remove the barrels from the gun. I then use a pipe cleaner (your finger, a cocktail stick etc. will do too) with a SMALL amount of grease on to put some grease into the rear bottom bite (the slot right at the back bottom end of the barrels). Then a SMALL amount on the hinge that the barrels fit to the action on. A further small amount on the rear of the forend and I put a small blob on the catch for the forend. Put the gun back together, wipe any surplus grease away with kitchen towel. Then open and close the gun several times before putting in cabinet.  My 725 is now a couple of years old and opens and closes smoothly, I use the red and tacky Lucas red grease off the bay. It does stay where you put it, their gun oil is excellent stuff too, especially for the chokes.