Home load 410 cheaper than £5.00 box of 12gauge carts

Perhaps someone with experience can tell me if its possible to home load a 410 cartridge using 9 shot in 14 oz  for skeet, cheaper than the cheapest 12 gauge cartridges i buy now at £5.00 per box

If so would using the brass cartridges re-bored to take standard primers also make a big difference

Quite honestly I am going through a tough  financial period and £5.00 a box is limiting my shooting and it looks like all clay cartridges will soon be above that number soon

If it can be done please say how

Don't forget that the brass cartridges will have thinner walls than a plastic case so over sized wads are needed and plastic shot cups don't fit well. I have in the past reloaded Magtech cases drilled out to take 209 primers, these worked OK using fibre wads etc. from Circlefly, but over time you will need to glue the primers in. 

Personally I would stick with plastic cases and standard wads, cups etc. 

I honestly have not priced what my reloads cost me but I would think after the initial outlay for dies etc., they would work out much cheaper.  I load for game/pigeons at 18.5grms and they do the job. Loaded with 8s would work very well I would think.  Stick to the plastic cases less hassle.

Yes you can put together a good skeet load for .410 for less than £5 a box with out compromising on any ingredients , the killer is the price of powder unbelievable £80 per kg and more for US powders but at least you do not have to use to much . I believe one of the lovex  powders is ok for .410 has any body any experience as the price a bit better but i have no info.

The steel question is a bit of a non starter because steel .410 wads are 11p each which is more than the lead and wad put together , also they only hold 10 grams of steel shot  which I doubt  would help in a skeet competition (as there never seems to me to be enough pellets anyway ) 

John, at Folkestone calculates that you can save around £75 on a thousand 410s, on materials.   Shop price is well over £250 thousand for 3 inch shells. Have not bothered with steel so can't answer your question on that.   Finding the cases may be a problem. I tend to buy 250 Fiocchi factory at the start of a season and then these will reload a couple of times and see me through a couple of seasons maybe. I also have a few friends who don't reload but save the cases for me.

Just a tip.  I weigh all of my powder on scales and then on my fibre wad loads I have worked out just how full the cases can be to get a really neat crimp and that works out at 18.5grms.

410s are just a bit more finicky and I pour the lead. I only use my MEC loader for depriming and re priming, seating the wad and crimping.

The patterns at 35yrds on my fibre loads are excellent with a dense area in the centre 18 inches. That is with the #2 choke tube in my 30 inch Yilditz barrels.

I do recommend checking your loads on a plate as well.

Edited by Walker570

I would go along with the above post with the costing of about £170 ish with buying all the ingredient today . May i suggest if you want to shoot skeet with the .410 find someone who actually dose it well and reloads,  although it is not magic they may have some tips for you because in my experience getting a really  good competitive and consistent  cartridge is perhaps not as easy as some think, also you are dealing with quite high pressure loads 

28 minutes ago, swan40 said:

The steel question is a bit of a non starter because steel .410 wads are 11p each which is more than the lead and wad put together , also they only hold 10 grams of steel shot  which I doubt  would help in a skeet competition (as there never seems to me to be enough pellets anyway ) 

I understand your point about steel wad cost, but 10 grams of steel will have more pellets than 14 grams of lead of the same size. I doubt the op wants the shells for competition.

3 hours ago, ChrisAsh said:

Perhaps someone with experience can tell me if its possible to home load a 410 cartridge using 9 shot in 14 oz  for skeet, cheaper than the cheapest 12 gauge cartridges i buy now at £5.00 per box

If so would using the brass cartridges re-bored to take standard primers also make a big difference

Quite honestly I am going through a tough  financial period and £5.00 a box is limiting my shooting and it looks like all clay cartridges will soon be above that number soon

If it can be done please say how

How come you can't find clay cartridges cheaper than £5 a box.

31 minutes ago, motty said:

I understand your point about steel wad cost, but 10 grams of steel will have more pellets than 14 grams of lead of the same size. I doubt the op wants the shells for competition.

How come you can't find clay cartridges cheaper than £5 a box.

Because its for .410

I know its not a .410 load but If you are ok with steel  and still wish to shot 12 bore try game bore 24 gram super steel £161 thousand (£4 a box) a good skeet shell you might be supprised how many top skeet shooters use steel plus its cheaper than loading .410 and you don't have to buy the kit -just a thought.

Thanks folk

Not for competition as I am a **** shot but enjoy the 410 and 12g,have tried steel in 12g before and happy with it but hard to find locally and JC are £179 plus £15.00 carriage so just under the £5 per box

"10 grams of steel will have more pellets than 14 grams of lead of the same size" does the 10 gram of steel take up the same volume of lead in 14 gram

10 grams of steel will take up very roughly the same volume as 14 grams of lead and if the pellets are the same diameter there indeed will be more pellets .

However the pellets used in skeet cartridges are not the same size- lead 9 shot is 2mm and steel 9 shot is 2.25mm the idea being to roughly match the pellet count and energy of each pellet I personally have never seen 2mm steel shot offered for sale as i doubt it would retain enough energy to brake a clay except at very shot range however 2.25 steel works very well

Dose anybody know if you could get away with using a lead plastic wad with such small shot(  2.25mm )as this would make a huge difference to the cost , if it could be done pressure wise 

Because the pressurers  involved with loading .410 are high anyway i would not want to load steel when lead is  available,  others may have more experience and a better idea about this I will leave steel  .410 loads to them.

Edited by swan40