Pinfire cartridges

I am looking for some pinfire cases in 16 bore that will fit english guns. I have two in this gauge and the continental cases do not fit as the pin is too far back. The breech will not close.  I could try and redrill them but that is a fag with no guarantee it will work. At one time krank did brass cases but no longer due to cost and low demand. Having some made would be extortionately expensive.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Would it be possible to make them from plastic cases? Drill a hole inside the cartridge base ( after removing any primer) big enough to take a percussion cap side on - With a shell in your gun mark the centre of the pin position then remove the cartridge and drill down to meet your countersunk hole (drill size needs to be pin dia obviously) position a perc. cap side on in the countersunk hole then push your pin down until it enters the perc. cap and thus holds it in place. Then just reload as usual? Bit fiddly but you could make a jig to drill the pin hole in the cartridge to speed things up some kind of rod to place the cap in the hole would be useful. Pin length would be trial and error.

Southams auctions at Bedford had a load of pinfire cases in their March sale, not sure but i think some were not sold. Have a look at June sale on the Southam web site when they put it up as you cant be far away. 

They often have that sort of thing for sale, I am in Mk16 and we go for a look at most of them if you cant 

15 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Southams auctions at Bedford had a load of pinfire cases in their March sale, not sure but i think some were not sold. Have a look at June sale on the Southam web site when they put it up as you cant be far away. 

They often have that sort of thing for sale, I am in Mk16 and we go for a look at most of them if you cant 

Thanks used to go when I lived in Oxford and have bought a few bits and guns off them. Now in sw scotland so has to be a couple of days away.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:42, Dave at kelton said:

I am looking for some pinfire cases in 16 bore that will fit english guns. I have two in this gauge and the continental cases do not fit as the pin is too far back. The breech will not close.  I could try and redrill them but that is a fag with no guarantee it will work. At one time krank did brass cases but no longer due to cost and low demand. Having some made would be extortionately expensive.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

One of the main problems with ordinary cartridges to use has pin fire is the rim of the head stamp  these are broader than the true pin fire head stamps  which do not allow you too close the gun. In the 1960,s I developed a method to over come the problem and that was to remove the rim by wedging it through a resizing die {see image }, make a new primer out of  a brass rod  leaving a  thin rim ,drill a hole not quite through the side of the new primer to take a Number 11 percussion cap  cut a V on the end to allow for ignition {see image}  drill a hole down from the rim to take the pin which should  brass  and a tight fit and always be careful not to drop them on a hard surface 

Pin fire  cartridges should only be loaded with black powder with a rolled turn over  al though the pin fire gun is a obsolete calibre if you are going to use it  must be entered on your shot gun certificate,

Feltwad

100_2197.jpg

100_2195.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

You have two guns which require these cases. Is it not worth while running down the road to Ruthwell and seeing what Graham Deakin would charge for making a few ?  It would be a one-off investment and would add value to a gun if you were to move it on.  I have seen pinfire cases he has made for bigger bores and they appear to be very good.

17 hours ago, FatFreddysCat said:

Clay&Game sell Magtech 2 1/2" brass 16 bore cases. Don't know if you'd be able to modify them?

http://www.claygame.co.uk/magtech-brass-cases-pd304

Thanks I have looked at these as I have them in 12 bore and am considerng taking the rim off and working from there. I wil speak to cg for a view.

37 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

You have two guns which require these cases. Is it not worth while running down the road to Ruthwell and seeing what Graham Deakin would charge for making a few ?  It would be a one-off investment and would add value to a gun if you were to move it on.  I have seen pinfire cases he has made for bigger bores and they appear to be very good.

Thanks, Spoke to Graham but it is likely the cost would be prohibitive. One gun is 16 and the other 15 bore so really need two sets. Will go back to Graham if I cannot find another solution.