BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walker570

Geeeesh !!!! It was a cold wind this morning. I wrapped up in about five layers and set out for a field of rape I knew was getting hammered. On arrival about 100 lifted into the 20mph wind and screeched away into the distance.  I set up in a pre arranged spot cut back into a scraggy hedge which only needed a rough old piece of camo to cover the front.  Put out a couple of peckers and a few full bodied not a large showing.  I set these a bit to one side as with the wind at a bit of an angle behind me I thought the birds would slide across on approach.  I found an old raincoat..Dartex ..remember it ..keep it permananetly in the Landie in case and on this occasion it certainly helped because by the time I had set up the wind had got through three layers of fleece plus a lined shirt, plus a long sleeve vest, but the rain coat cut the penetration to nil.  I had been settled for about 15 mins when about 200 birds came  down wind at warp speed put on a hard turn two fields away and settled into two big oaks, then started to drop into a small rape field right in the middle of the village.  I was shooting the Mossy 410 Husher and thought maybe they would not hear one if I let fly but the wind carried it and it was a good half mile away, so a pause before they all lifted and departed the area.    HUMMM!!   A few seconds later, four came sneaking directly into the wind, straight at the decoys. Popped the one and the others flaired and turned in the wind and where gone out of range before I could rack another round.    Another came screaming from behind did a sharp turn and I killed that one at about 35yrds and the wind just took it right into the middle of the field ... I never did find it as the rape there is almost a foot high.  Steady flow of birds back and forth all morning ...I'm beginning to wonder... should we paint our decoys with a strong coffee mixture, because everytime I poured a cup, birds would appear.  I think I spilt more than I drank.  Anyway I managed to kill only six birds, I will not reveal how many emptues I picked up but lets say I stopped shooting and left the field at about ten to one. Must go back tomorrow and pick the other empties which got ejected into the snow drift.  

The main thing I kept the birds off for a short time although they will be back.  Managed to pick three out of the six I shot, the wind took the other three way out in the field never to be found by me anyway. The old buzzard was circling when I left.  The cartridges in the photo do not tell the full story:no:

2018-03-19 13.24.51-2 (800x450).jpg

Edited by Walker570

Well at least you wouldn't have fired that many shots if you were sitting at home beside your wood burner , you can always do that when the weather is cold :yes:, it would have been like a warm Spring day here if it wasn't for the cold wind.

Had a look round just after dinner and saw a nice lot going back on the rape , for how much longer ? , I don't know but the land is now dry enough for the land to be worked on again and the tractors were making light work of the conditions . no rain for a few days and with warmer weather forecasted Spring is well on its way.

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Well at least you wouldn't have fired that many shots if you were sitting at home beside your wood burner , you can always do that when the weather is cold :yes:, it would have been like a warm Spring day here if it wasn't for the cold wind.

Had a look round just after dinner and saw a nice lot going back on the rape , for how much longer ? , I don't know but the land is now dry enough for the land to be worked on again and the tractors were making light work of the conditions . no rain for a few days and with warmer weather forecasted Spring is well on its way.

Hope so!!