Reports of a Self drive car killing pedestrian in US?

old man

I just don’t like the idea of them at all but I can see that in time they will be a ‘thing’.

As for the pedestrian fatality we don’t know what’s gone on but I remain mindful that if someone just steps out in front of your car with no warning then even if you had the reactions of Lewis Hamilton after 3 cans of Redbull that pedestrian is still going to get hit and end up bouncing off your car. Some accidents are unavoidable. 

Lots of people are terrible drivers anyways!

Can’t stay in their lane when on round abouts or turning, speeding excessively, hitting curbs etc

number of people you see on their phones as you go to work is insane 

anything that makes people pay even less attention when driving is surely a terrible idea 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Lots of people are terrible drivers anyways!

Can’t stay in their lane when on round abouts or turning, speeding excessively, hitting curbs etc

number of people you see on their phones as you go to work is insane 

anything that makes people pay even less attention when driving is surely a terrible idea 

You never mentioned.... don't know where their indicators are....lazy s..s. These people really annoy me.

27 minutes ago, walshie said:

What the hell was the human "safety driver" doing? 

If you had a driverless car and you saw an object or person in the road up ahead, would you apply the brake yourself? (Which defeats the point) or would you think “I don’t need to, the car will brake itself!” 

20 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

We haven't got the full script. If the Uber car was in auto mode or whether the driver was in control - if someone steps in front of a car, it isn't always possible to stop in time.

It does say in the article, that the car was in auto mode with a safety driver, travelling at around 40 mph and showed no signs of slowing before the impact.

Edited by Newbie to this

It's a terrible accident, horrific for the family no doubt.

That said, to condemn any development/use of self-driving cars is a knee-jerk reaction. They will be safer, that's a fact.

The AI behind these machines is going to have to make some tricky decisions at times and will ultimately have to choose who to hurt in unavoidable accidents (when people run out into the road, for example) but generally speaking, they'll be a lot safer than a person. They'll not use their phone, drive drunk, and will be able to make decisions a lot faster than us without emotion to cloud any judgement. This story's going to be sensationalised, and rightly so I guess - but statistically speaking, they'll be safer.

Edited by DanBettin

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

If you had a driverless car and you saw an object or person in the road up ahead, would you apply the brake yourself? (Which defeats the point) or would you think “I don’t need to, the car will brake itself!” 

I see that of course, but I'm sure I'd brake if the car looked like it wasn't going to. What's the point of a safety driver if he doesn't make the thing safe? Maybe he should change his job title to "accident witness". 

I'm sure airline pilots wouldn't let the plane smash into a mountain whether or not it was on auto pilot. 

There was a man on LBC talking about this with the presenter Nick Ferrari. He pointed out that Uber are testing their systems in the simplest driving environment imaginable. I have spent time in Arizona and he is absolutely right. Huge wide straight deserted roads, bright clear sunshine, even the towns are unsophisticated, a couple of intersections with lights is about as complicated as it ever gets. Yet they still manage to knock down and kill a woman pushing a bike. 

He said now compare that with any European City with horrendously complicated traffic systems, ring roads and dark wet winter conditions in the rush hour.   These software systems are so far off becoming viable its a complete non starter.

The game at the moment is to gain top dog status for one of the rival operating software systems. Which ever protocol eventually becomes the adopted system (and there has to be only one worldwide) will earn untold billions in licencing fees for ever and ever. Microsoft did it with DOS, Google did it with search engines, Ebay and Amazon did it in their respective fields. This is because once one protocol becomes established it can never be super ceded by a rival because how can you manage the change over? So the potential earning power is incalculable. 

He also made another very good point, has anybody ever asked us, the consumer, whether we want driverless cars? Its going to be our pockets that the money all has to come out of one way or another. Or is it 'big brother'  imposing its vision upon us, not us demanding something because it benefits us. We know why they want us to have it - money! but what do we get out of it?

Edited by Vince Green

It does say in the article, that the car was in auto mode with a safety driver, travelling at around 40 mph and showed no signs of slowing before the impact.

I am aware, but I do not know if she strolled into the path of the car or jumped suddenly and got hit before it had chance to brake.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/uber-crash-video-taxi-self-driving-autonomous-vehicle-footage-images-arizona-a8267946.html

This is released video just up to the accident. Looks possibly like system failure and inattentive human operator. Although it doesn't state if there is an operator quick overide.

Thoughts are with the deceased family. RIP.

Apparently the car was speeding doing 40 mph in a 35 mph zone, surely the technology knew the speed limit of the road, also the safety driver had recently be done for jumping a red light, hardly the actions of a safety driver and watching the video in the link above, he is paying very little attention to the road, just mainly looking at what I can only presume is his phone.