Hi from Cornwall

atyl1972

Hey all, just wanted to say a quick Hi from Cornwall, I'm a newbie to Air rifle shooting, I plan on joining 2 local clubs here in Cornwall to get acclimatised to my gun and the ethics within the shooting community, I am also fairly mature at 45 lol, my wife wouldn't agree with the mature bit, but hey ho..Eventually, I'd like to get some permissions to help out farmers or land owners.

34 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

Hey Dave, In Pool, nr Redruth? 

Hiya, There's plenty places to ask around them parts. I have shared permissions scattered around Hayle for when I visit family there. Can't help wi them because I share them wi other people but:

There's a small golf club between Hayle and St Erth - near a go kart track that might get you started. I got permission there a few years ago but cut my intended long stay short and never went. Worth a try but I can't remember what its called. My shooting partner down there doesn't use air so won't mind me giving that away. I wouldnt be sending a youngster there but you being a certain age will likely get a better reception.

Edited by Dave-G

1 minute ago, Dave-G said:

Hiya, There's plenty places to ask around them parts. I have shared permissions scattered around Hayle for when I visit family there. Can't help wi them because I share them wi other people but:

There's a small golf club between Hayle and St Erth - near a go kart track that might get you started. I got permission there a few years ago but cut my intended long stay short and never went. Worth a try but I can't remember what its called. My shooting partner down there doesn't use air so won't mind me giving that away.

Fantastic many thanks, my aim is to use google maps or an ordnance map to scout farms etc, get a letter printed saying a little about myself, also give a card with my details on and issue them face to face, maybe some I'll post a little further a field, I'll in fact use google maps right now to search said golf club, you don't mean Hayle golfing range do you?

Just now, atyl1972 said:

Fantastic many thanks, my aim is to use google maps or an ordnance map to scout farms etc, get a letter printed saying a little about myself, also give a card with my details on and issue them face to face, maybe some I'll post a little further a field, I'll in fact use google maps right now to search said golf club, you don't mean Hayle golfing range do you?

Penwith or Gwinear ring any bells?

21 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

Penwith or Gwinear ring any bells?

Not Hayle Golf club - we shot thousands there over a few years till the owners lad got old enough to do it himself with his mates. 

Something to do with pitch and putt if I recall correctly - and starts with the word Green.....

Edited by Dave-G

2 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Not Hayle Golf club - we shot thousands there over a few years till the owners lad got old enough to do it himself with his mates. 

Something to do with pitch and put if I recall correctly - and starts with the word Green.....

Gwinear Golf Pitch & Putt?

fellow cornishman here, I'm down on the lizard pen so cant help with perms, best way of getting perm I found is to look around, find a problem with rabbits or the like then approach the farmer to help with that specific problem, I found that general permission on their land soon follows if you do a good job.

Have fun!

4 hours ago, thepasty said:

fellow cornishman here, I'm down on the lizard pen so cant help with perms, best way of getting perm I found is to look around, find a problem with rabbits or the like then approach the farmer to help with that specific problem, I found that general permission on their land soon follows if you do a good job.

Have fun!

Ok thanks, any advice on knowing what to look for if a farmer is having issues would be great and what to look out for, cheers.

Just now, rimfire4969 said:

Good to see another shooter from Cornwall. I’m Perranporth way, shame you don’t shoot shotgun as I may have a place on my little pheasant syndicate coming up. 

Hey, no only just starting out really but in the future who knows, lol

8 hours ago, thepasty said:

Have fun!

Thank you

3 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

Good to see another shooter from Cornwall. I’m Perranporth way, shame you don’t shoot shotgun as I may have a place on my little pheasant syndicate coming up. 

I'm about to join a shooting club to get associated with my new rifle but ideally after a permission or two to help local farmers with vermin, birds etc that are being nuisances, so if you know anyone then please spread the word, I'm in the process of gathering some cards and a printed letter to provide local farmers with, just to give them some information about myself and what services I'm hoping to provide for free in exchange to shoot on their land.

7 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

I'm about to join a shooting club to get associated with my new rifle but ideally after a permission or two to help local farmers with vermin, birds etc that are being nuisances, so if you know anyone then please spread the word, I'm in the process of gathering some cards and a printed letter to provide local farmers with, just to give them some information about myself and what services I'm hoping to provide for free in exchange to shoot on their land.

I wish you luck. 

5 hours ago, atyl1972 said:

Ok thanks, any advice on knowing what to look for if a farmer is having issues would be great and what to look out for, cheers.

I presume you're after rabbits, so I'd be looking for rabbit burrows damaging hedges, crops being damaged, grazing being hit hard etc

30 minutes ago, thepasty said:

I presume you're after rabbits, so I'd be looking for rabbit burrows damaging hedges, crops being damaged, grazing being hit hard etc

Yes, rabbits, rats some birds if needed too, what do most farmers / land owners request disposal of them, do they expect the rabbits to be gutted by us or do most farmers dispose themselves?

On 20/03/2018 at 19:15, atyl1972 said:

Yes, rabbits, rats some birds if needed too, what do most farmers / land owners request disposal of them, do they expect the rabbits to be gutted by us or do most farmers dispose themselves?

I eat them!  give them away, sell some, dog food...whichever....most of the farmers I shoot for just want them gone, they wouldnt care if I left them where they were shot.