Browning auto 5 serial number date

tx4cabbie

I've had a look on the Browning website, trying to date the auto 5 I've just bought, but it's confusing me, hence me asking the hive mind. To be fair, confusing me isn't hard, but Browning's website doesn't mention two smaller numbers (smaller in size) before a larger number. 

I've got a small in size "64" then a slightly larger "94514". 

Possibly 64 is the year of manufacture? Or the 64 doesn't matter, and 94514 is the serial number, putting year of manufacture at 03-39? 

The gun isn't going to be an investment, I'm getting the full choke bored out so I can use it for regular shooting, I'm just curious as to the age of my new acquisition.

Any help gratefully received. 

20180318_212943.jpg

IMG_0946.jpeg

NOTE:  Browning was the gun designer, so the gun you have bears his name. 

BUT

The gun you have was MADE IN BELGIUM, by F.N. in Liege
You were checking on a website/source for the AMERICAN firm BROWNING
...any idea why the serial numbers for two different firms/factories, in two different countries don't tally?
It's a very common mistake & seems to happen with every other "new" A5 purchaser looking to date their gun.

THE archive/reference source for ALL Auto 5 shotguns can be found on the forum ShotgunWorld - look for the Browning sub-thread then check the A5 "sticky" as it lets you date them from serial numbers, safety catch types, etc.
There is also an excellent reference book on this model of shotgun, and while not cheap, it's worth investing in.

Great guns. Got one or two myself...hope you enjoy it!!

Thanks chaps.  I knew that fn were john Browning's first manufacturer of this gun, and I have no idea why I didn't make the connection and check their website. As I said, I'm easily confused! 

Thanks for the confirmation, and the certificate information. I am enjoying it, I first shot one back in 92, and when I shot this one on Sunday, without having lubed or cleaned it, it ran perfectly - it's 12 yrs older than me but wearing much better. Only issue is that the full choke is REALLY full, and my skills aren't quite up to that level of pinpoint accuracy - at the distances our club clays are shot at, I'm trying to hit with a football sized spread, rather than my usual open or 1/4 Which is a bit more forgiving.

Not sure whether to take the barrel to leech and sons for opening up, or do it myself with 400/800/1200 wet and dry on a cleaning rod in my drill, with lots of oil to keep things cool. What do you reckon?