Air Rifle Law?

BIG 5

As far as I see it the 1968 Firearms Act deems the boot of your car "a public place" so you may not have an Airgun in such a place without a good reason - travelling directly to and from a permission is one such reason. As a footnote with regards to Magazines ( most Air Riles seem to have them these days) - if a magazine is fitted to your gun, even with no pellets in it, your gun is considered "loaded" - if you have a Magazine with a pellet in it anywhere on your person or vicinity, wether it is in the gun or not, your gun is considered "loaded"  - for more updated Laws I would suggest you consult your Christmas Crackers at the end of the year as this seems to be the Governments main source of information.

Edited by bruno22rf

45 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

As far as I see it the 1968 Firearms Act deems the boot of your car "a public place" so you may not have an Airgun in such a place without a good reason - travelling directly to and from a permission is one such reason. As a footnote with regards to Magazines ( most Air Riles seem to have them these days) - if a magazine is fitted to your gun, even with no pellets in it, your gun is considered "loaded" - if you have a Magazine with a pellet in it anywhere on your person or vicinity, wether it is in the gun or not, your gun is considered "loaded"  - for more updated Laws I would suggest you consult your Christmas Crackers at the end of the year as this seems to be the Governments main source of information.

Dont bring that load of old twaddle up again :no:

Who mentioned centre fire rifles?? Have a re-read then have a word with yourself. Speaking to my FEO this afternoon to clear this up....since 2005 the law is exactly as I have stated above so there's your twaddle Stu-please feel free to ring your FEO and tell him that you simply don't agree with the LAW. Asked to clarify your legal position if caught carrying an Airgun in your car, unless actually en-route/returning from a shoot he suggested that you would be unlucky to face prosecution for simply having a Airgun in your Car but if it were to get stolen then you are likely to be reported. He also stated that a Car is considered a public place under current legislation.

can i come for a picnic in your boot then Bruno? Never thought of a car as being a public place.

as for pellets in mags, i take pellets in my mags but the mags aren't "engaged" so when i get where I'm going i have to take them out to then load my mags.

normally have a spare 409 "rounds" in the car, which at my current rate sees me good for three or four years.

25 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Who mentioned centre fire rifles?? Have a re-read then have a word with yourself. Speaking to my FEO this afternoon to clear this up....since 2005 the law is exactly as I have stated above so there's your twaddle Stu-please feel free to ring your FEO and tell him that you simply don't agree with the LAW. Asked to clarify your legal position if caught carrying an Airgun in your car, unless actually en-route/returning from a shoot he suggested that you would be unlucky to face prosecution for simply having a Airgun in your Car but if it were to get stolen then you are likely to be reported. He also stated that a Car is considered a public place under current legislation.

Yep, had a word with myself and my other self says your FEO needs to learn the actual law and not his interpretation of it.  An empty magazine in your airgun or elephant gun is only an empty box and having an empty box in your rifle doesn't make it loaded. 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Some ones been reading too much internet twaddle .

Unless you have the correct  ammunition loaded in your gun on in a mag in your gun .its not loaded or cant be easily loaded. Thats it. Nothing else .end of .

A mag full of pellets in your pocket .or even in the bag next to the gun is well with in the law .An empty mag in the gun cant easily load the gun with ammunition .as its empty .

the mag its self isnt ammunition as it cant be shot bown the barrel .

If your feo thinks different .then he needs to be brought up to speed .

This old (empty mag in a gun is then loaded idea ) was put to bed a longtime ago .

Im not wrong on this .but please do what ever makes you feel happy .

Stu 

I've been pulled with an empty mag in my airgun before. he asked if it was loaded, I said no and i asked if he wanted to be showed that it wasnt and he said no. 

tbh the way most precharged guns are today I don't think they'd know where to look anyway as in the days of simple break barrels. 

on another note I use to leave it in my car all the time, now I've moved to a town, wouldn't dream of it with the scum 2 doors down. 

Whoever sbftc are, they are using their interpretation of the law rather than the law itself. They quote the Firearms Act 1968, yet incorrectly.

The act clearly states: 

(b)a shot gun or an air weapon shall be deemed to be loaded if there is ammunition in the chamber or barrel or in any magazine or other device which is in such a position that the ammunition can be fed into the chamber or barrel by the manual or automatic operation of some part of the gun or weapon.

That isn't my interpretation, it's copied and pasted direct from the Act. Can't be a lot clearer really. :good:

Edited by walshie

27 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Have a quick read....www.sbftc.co.uk/pages/membership/law.pdf - easiest way to see what the "home of FT shooting" consider current legislation. You are, incidentally Stu, more than welcome to come round for a picnic in my boot.

It was my cheeky comment about the boot, I'll get some pork pies ? 

55 minutes ago, walshie said:

Whoever sbftc are, they are using their interpretation of the law rather than the law itself. They quote the Firearms Act 1968, yet incorrectly.

The act clearly states: 

(b)a shot gun or an air weapon shall be deemed to be loaded if there is ammunition in the chamber or barrel or in any magazine or other device which is in such a position that the ammunition can be fed into the chamber or barrel by the manual or automatic operation of some part of the gun or weapon.

That isn't my interpretation, it's copied and pasted direct from the Act. Can't be a lot clearer really. :good:

This is it exactly .

The easily loaded bit was added .so as to stop someone with .a mag full of bullets under the action being easily and quickly loaded into the barrel with quick cycle of a bolt .and saying you cant prosecute me as the gun wasn't actually loaded. 

It often takes longer to load a magazine out of your pocket , bag ,whatever .than it does to single load a pellet / bullet direct to the barrel .so a full magazine stored in your bag with said gun isnt falling foul of the law .and neither is an empty mag in the gun .

As far as keeping a sub 12 air  gun in your car . (Although not a great idea if you get robbed ) i cant seehow its against the law .

Your responsibility lies with keeping the gun out of the hands of minors under 18 years. So a locked boot would fulfil this requirement .

Obviously  an fac or sgc has to be kept away from unauthorized  people .so cant be left in a car .