Night Vision

atyl1972

Hey guys, I'm in the market for some night vision gear and was wondering everyones thoughts and opinions on what you've maybe used, or seen in real life. There is a new ATN sight coming out thats a 4K sensor that records in 1080p and can stream the same time, scope also can be used at day, I've also had a look at Nite Site Viper, with it being 100 yards thats plenty for small vermin shooting. Any thoughts, opinions or ownership advice is as always, very much appreciated.

They all look good in the adverts where the humidity is very low and the conditions are good.

The first question is what do you want to use it for? Dedicated or add on. Give some thought as to how you want to use it and that will help you work out which way to go.  For me the quality of add on's is very good and certainly good enough for my needs out to 350m without tying up the rifle with a compromised day scope. 

I am amazed the nite site head up display stuff is still going, when you can get some very reasonably priced head up NV like the one from Dave G on here if you want to go down that route. 

I use a Ward 800 for foxing as i like the normal shooting position rather than head up. One of the big determinants is the quality of the IR. I use a Ward Sunranger with ruby pill which is excellent. Worth a look at the Night Vision forum dedicated to these topics for some detailed advice and thoughts.

I use the Nitesite Viper and to be honest they do a great job but even though they are rated to 100mt but I find it needs an extra IR torch to get more than just eye shine. I am going for a Wolf to get the extra distance but the good thing is that the Nitesite is so light compared to any other NV system when you take into account the weight of the torch.

I use the Viper on sub 12 air rifles, fac air rifles and rimfire rifle and the total ease of switching from one gun to another is superb and of course it gives you total flexibility in your night time shooting so don't be put off these types of NV units.

The screen NV systems are very popular now that a great many people build their own for around £100 and the quality is excellent. 

Phil

8 hours ago, oowee said:

They all look good in the adverts where the humidity is very low and the conditions are good.

The first question is what do you want to use it for? Dedicated or add on. Give some thought as to how you want to use it and that will help you work out which way to go.  For me the quality of add on's is very good and certainly good enough for my needs out to 350m without tying up the rifle with a compromised day scope. 

I am amazed the nite site head up display stuff is still going, when you can get some very reasonably priced head up NV like the one from Dave G on here if you want to go down that route. 

I use a Ward 800 for foxing as i like the normal shooting position rather than head up. One of the big determinants is the quality of the IR. I use a Ward Sunranger with ruby pill which is excellent. Worth a look at the Night Vision forum dedicated to these topics for some detailed advice and thoughts.

Thank you, will do.