Saturday Night Takeaway

old'un

While on the subject of the two illustrious gentlemen....

An admission of my wrinkliness and ignorance of what's occurring in the world of err...celebrities.

A couple of years ago my Granddaughter chatting with her friends mentioned Ant & Dec...I asked "Who's he?" ...stunned silence.

"Granddad, don't you know?"..." No, is he a footballer or film star?"... She replied " No it's Ant &Dec "...I said " He sounds like a Frenchman, what's he famous for?"

At this point three young ladies were helpless with laughter  and only recovered when I  admitted to thinking they were talking about someone named  Anton Dec. I really didn't know it was two  personalities of such world renown.

I am not ashamed and I'm quite comfortable bimbling along in the 1960's (or earlier)....happy0193.gif    happy0193.gif

39 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Really annoys me to hear ,on some radio stations, the pair being described as a modern day Morecombe and Wise - what an absolute insult to M&W - 2 men who worked their way up and wrote many of their own, funny , sketches - sorry but A&D are simply talentless.

I cannot stand them, but the wife love’s them, said they are really entertaining and talented, what!!!, seems women love ’em. :/

It would seem times change. 

I recall a Blue Peter presenter being sacked after being caught snorting something illegal, and even further back a Liverpool comedian and show host ( name escapes me ) being dropped after having an extra marital affair.

I think it also depends on how popular the particular celebrity is and the seriousness of his ‘crime’ at the time. 

Was Michael Barrymore ever convicted of anything? Ron wotsisname ( ex Man Utd manager ) uses the ‘n’ word and that’s it; bye bye Big Ron. 

A few folk ring up Tesco about red hunting jackets for kids and they’re removed from sale......I wonder how many are calling for Ants blood? 

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Really annoys me to hear ,on some radio stations, the pair being described as a modern day Morecombe and Wise - what an absolute insult to M&W - 2 men who worked their way up and wrote many of their own, funny , sketches - sorry but A&D are simply talentless.

Couldn't agree more.

i quite like them, simple easy to watch telly, the guys mentioned above were all to do with the BBC, ITV will probably do nothing because of the ratings involved.

If they take the moral high ground and sack him, the BBC would mist likely snap them up within a week.

like them or not there is no excuse for drink driving, he could quite easily afford to have a full time chauffer  sat around at his disposal.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I recall a Blue Peter presenter being sacked after being caught snorting something illegal, and even further back a Liverpool comedian and show host ( name escapes me ) being dropped after having an extra marital affair.

I think it also depends on how popular the particular celebrity is and the seriousness of his ‘crime’ at the time. 

Was Michael Barrymore ever convicted of anything? Ron wotsisname ( ex Man Utd manager ) uses the ‘n’ word and that’s it; bye bye Big Ron. 

A few folk ring up Tesco about red hunting jackets for kids and they’re removed from sale......I wonder how many are calling for Ants blood? 

In each of those cases the personality that fell of their perch were largely incidental to the health of TV station, perhaps Barrymore was felt the most.

Ant & Dec headline 3 of ITV's largest shows and are a massive draw for the organisation, it would be no exaggeration to suggest that binning Ant could have a detrimental impact on the ITV share price.

It's wholly wrong of course, but puts into context the value of celebrity.

11 hours ago, Scully said:

think the Liverpool comedian mite of been stan boardman, didn't work again after the Parkinson show wen he mentioned the Germans flying the ******* very funny clip if you watch it, still remember watching it he was very drunk

Ant McP's problems go way beyond drink driving, that's just a 'tip of the iceberg' manifestation of whats really going wrong in his life. When anybody smashes up a car drunk at 4pm in the afternoon in a residential road you have to seriously read between the lines.

He has got to be in a pretty bad way, addiction takes over your whole life. I witnessed it close up with a friend. It was me who grassed him up to the police and he lost his driving licence and his FAC. He never spoke to me again till he died but I have no regret.

He would wake up in the morning and pour himself a whiskey like anybody else would put the kettle on.

All this stuff about painkillers is just his PR people trying to hide the real truth