are cooey singles any good?

strimmer_13

Im going to a auction in salisbury on the weekend and have spotted a cooey which I fancy as my "fun" gun. Main things are I want a hammer single (or a double - but the double guide price is so low something has to be broke on it) which I can bash about and potter with. Point being is are they all right and are their things I should look out for as im a complete tool for buying tat. Also I know that auctions are where the **** is sent that dealers can't sell....

think the guide price is 20 quid or close to. I'll only be taking a ton with me for new toys 

In the past I owned a Cooey single 12 bore but traded upwards later. I've now got a 20 bore Cooey single, exposed hammer. My opinion is they are practically bombproof, at least mine were/are. £20 is worth a go, the wood can always be tarted up if the bore is clean and the action tight.

I've got a Cooey 12 bore single, bought it for one of my son's years ago. Had little use, but another son gets on well with it. Took it on a game shoot once and was taking out fast partridge that other were leaving or missing. It kicks pretty hard, but it gives confidence and feels like what they say about AK-47s, in that it will not let you down how ever badly you treat it. Great zombie basher? Have thought about moving mine on to someone who will make more use of it. If you're any where near Southend, can be yours for £15

When I bought mine , I was advised to open it, check the bore, twist it to check for sideways wear on the pivot pin, close it back up on a thin piece of paper and dry fire to check  firing pin is O.K. I use my 12 gauge H.@R single barrel for allsorts..a slip on recoil pad helps ( Pachmayr on mine) with 30 gr plus ammo, and patterns well with my 28 gauge bore adapter ! Most are full choke, so worth checking ? Twenty quid for mine = loads of fun with a practical tool..enjoy !

I have a Cooey 12g single hammergun. My father bought it new, probably late 60's and won't have had much through it.

Kicks like a mule if it goes off at all. Falls into pieces when it does go off and you will have no idea if you hit what you aimed at because you have a face full of smoke.

Would never entertain the idea of buying one and if this one wasn't my fathers it would have gone years ago. Do not buy one is my advice, and that is not based solely on my experience as this once common gun was prone to all the above by most accounts.

I certainty wouldn't give £20 for one , I have seen loads of them at auctions ranging from a £1 for a run of mill one and up to a tenner for a little used one ,

You might be lucky and pick up a decent B S A or a Webley for around £20 , single 12 bores are not exactly flavour of the month at the moment, and side x sides are not far behind them neither when it comes to auctions  .

thanks for the advice and views 

I was going to scratch this itch I had of having 1 but after quite a few comments I'll only bid if I follow the advice of fronty61 and if anything is slightly suspect I'll stay clear. 

thanks again 

matt

21 hours ago, Okrang said:

Steer clear of any Baikals in Salisbury this weekend!

that was another itch I was keeping quiet here :lol: any reason? 

21 hours ago, getthegat said:

I've got a Cooey 12 bore single, bought it for one of my son's years ago. Had little use, but another son gets on well with it. Took it on a game shoot once and was taking out fast partridge that other were leaving or missing. It kicks pretty hard, but it gives confidence and feels like what they say about AK-47s, in that it will not let you down how ever badly you treat it. Great zombie basher? Have thought about moving mine on to someone who will make more use of it. If you're any where near Southend, can be yours for £15

tidy offer there fella but I'm north dorset bordering somerset. 

thanks tho 

Main reason I really want one is when I was very young my mates uncle let me have a shot on one. Point being is i was young and full of beans, knew better than his advice to hold it tight and it kicked me hard and in the face and gave me a bloody nose. Only time I seen/shot one. Loved it and got me hooked straight away.

So now I want to cure that itch. But I might see what state the other singles are like at said auction if everything is only scrap 

Not quite the same but I did a lot of hare shooting back then. We are apple growers and back then we were planting a lot of orchards, hares will destroy them in no time and we were paid £10 bounty for every hare shot.

Dad was the lamp man and I was the shooter on foot with Eley Maximums through the Cooey. Got 15 one night which was the equivalent of a months pay! I was only a kid at the time really and my best memory of it was my dad's delight. Only time I can remember him saying well done to me. (I'm sure he's thought it often enough since but he's never actually said it)

Maybe the Maximum cartridge did the gun in, only ever used them or Grand Prix HD through it. Only ever bought one box at a time from the local grocery store too, never these slabs that seem the norm these days. Then again the local grocery store is a fancy wine bar these days and I would think just the sight of a shotgun cartridge would have armed police on the doorstep.

Haven't shot a hare in decades, I am delighted to see them these days . Still growing apples too.

2 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Not quite the same but I did a lot of hare shooting back then. We are apple growers and back then we were planting a lot of orchards, hares will destroy them in no time and we were paid £10 bounty for every hare shot.

Dad was the lamp man and I was the shooter on foot with Eley Maximums through the Cooey. Got 15 one night which was the equivalent of a months pay! I was only a kid at the time really and my best memory of it was my dad's delight. Only time I can remember him saying well done to me. (I'm sure he's thought it often enough since but he's never actually said it)

Maybe the Maximum cartridge did the gun in, only ever used them or Grand Prix HD through it. Only ever bought one box at a time from the local grocery store too, never these slabs that seem the norm these days. Then again the local grocery store is a fancy wine bar these days and I would think just the sight of a shotgun cartridge would have armed police on the doorstep.

Haven't shot a hare in decades, I am delighted to see them these days . Still growing apples too.

THANKS for taking me back to a bygone era , how times change , I worked the whole Summer schools holiday when I was 13 in 1961 to save up for my first gun which was a single Webley from Darlows in Norwich for £!7 / 10s ( £17.50p ) , cartridges were 12/6d a box and I went without the schools dinner to buy the cartridges with the money I had saved .

Very rare did I have more than one box of cartridges in the house at any one time and I must had been well into my teens when I started to buy a slab of 250 , the first 1000 I bought were Russian and came in a wooden crate at the massive cost of £40 .00 .

Now I often have 2 or 3000 at any one time and rarely less than a 1000 , are these times any better ? in some ways yes and in other ways no ,but I still look back at the past as some of the  happiest days spent with a gun under my arm .

About 1970 ish, a farmer gave me one that he'd found in the corner of an outhouse.

Horrendous condition with a massive gap off the face.

I think there were spiders nests in the barrel pitting .

I didn't know any better but as a daft safety precaution I used just Impax and shot many rabbits with it.

Kicked like a mule and the brass heads were severely bulged.

Eventually I saw sense and had it destroyed.

Not into singles anymore but if I was the AYA looks well built.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

Fond memories of the one I used as a lad, a single shot teaches you to concentrate and shoot well - now I have a 3 shot semi .............:whistling:

So don’t tell me, you now concentrate on the first shot and miss with the other two.:whistling:.....:lol:

Edited by old'un