British passports

scouser

1 hour ago, mick miller said:

The company that currently make the UK(EU) passport is part Dutch, part French owned, so hardly a 'British' company. They also make passports for 40 other countries. I'm not sure what the fuss is about, we wanted the deal with the EU to be trade and business only, this is trade and business and the company that put the tender in had the lowest bid by a long way so they won the tender. What we didn't want is the greater political union and the other baggage that came with the EU. Seems like a win to me, we get to sell others passports made here,  thus guaranteeing British jobs , whilst we get our passports made elsewhere at a great price. That's trade, unless you favour protectionism that is?

Sounds like a good deal to me. No doubt De La Rue will be sharpening their pencils for the next job.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Its false economy, the contract is worth £500 million a year and the French came in 10% cheaper. But all that money (half a billion) is now going out of the country, and we will never see it again. Dead money

What ! How many passports are we issuing a year ?

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

Well a few mil for the first run, or will they be clever and just replaces when needed. Mine runs out before so will i get another eu one and have that for x number of years or the full term 

Ok ,just say they print 2 mill first year, theres no way 2 million people a year apply for passports surely ?
But even if they do print those 2 million first year, thats £250 each.
These figures cant be right ?

Edit ,just done a bit of digging.
Its difficult to get figures, but estimates say (Im surprised by this) there are 42,000,000 current UK passports in circulation.
Some of these are child passports so 5 year renewals, so if we split the difference and say they all get renewed every 7.5 years (unlikely)

So 42,000,000 divided by 7.5 years = 5,600,000 renewals per year ,and £500,000,000 /5,600,000 = £89.28 . more than the actual cost of a passport ?
Am I being daft ?

45 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ok ,just say they print 2 mill first year, theres no way 2 million people a year apply for passports surely ?

Its difficult to get figures, but estimates say (Im surprised by this) there are 42,000,000 current UK passports in circulation.
Some of these are child passports so 5 year renewals, so if we split the difference and say they all get renewed every 7.5 years (unlikely)

So 42,000,000 divided by 7.5 years = 5,600,000 renewals per year ,and £500,000,000 /5,600,000 = £89.28 . more than the actual cost of a passport ?
Am I being daft ?

I could be wrong, but are not the figures based on a 10 year period and includes renewals and new passports?  

51 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Am I being daft ?

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

I could be wrong, but are not the figures based on a 10 year period and includes renewals and new passports?  

I'd have no idea what the contract entails, but it's a public contract so the information will be available somewhere

Edited by Newbie to this

De La Rue’s Identity Solutions division currently holds the contract for passport printing, which was worth £400m when issued in 2009, their contract runs out in 2019.

Strange thing is when De La Rue was awarded the contract back in 2009 by Labour, there were calls for an inquiry by 3M Security Printing who were the current contract holders and who’s tender was 100 million lower than De La Rue’s tender, makes you wonder.:hmm:

This article from 2010 makes interesting reading, also look at the headline….http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337944/British-passports-abroad-costing-100-jobs-100-million-taxpayers.html

Edited by old'un

10 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

So if Russia had undercut the French/Dutch would you agree to that?

China? Mozambique? EU rules EU contractors.....

Russia aren’t EU so wouldn’t be allowed to under procurement rules. It’s a global market for supply and demand 

the details of the tender will be out there if you want to read but govt procurement is an incredible beast of paperwork, rules and regs.

So if they are making a £50 million saving, does that mean I get a cheaper passport next time then? :hmm: And will my new passport smell of sweaty Camembert? 

Will we we still have to have interviews to obtain a first passport? And will they now have to ferry to the continent for said interviews? How will they get there without a passport? We're all doomed!! 

29 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

So if they are making a £50 million saving, does that mean I get a cheaper passport next time then?  And will my new passport smell of sweaty Camembert? 

Will we we still have to have interviews to obtain a first passport? And will they now have to ferry to the continent for said interviews? How will they get there without a passport? We're all doomed!! 

I believe the company already are the ones who make our current passport ... 

did you have to do any of that for your current one? 

What kind of cheese does it smell like? 

22 hours ago, walshie said:

Forgive my stupidity, but the blue passports are for after we leave the EU, so what difference does it make if they are made outside of the EU? Surely we can broker deals with anyone we want.

Not whilst we are still in the EU ?

We joined the club and paid the membership... we have to play by their rules right up to the day we leave.

38 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Not whilst we are still in the EU ?

We joined the club and paid the membership... we have to play by their rules right up to the day we leave.

So once we have left the EU, would we pay a company an extra £50,000,000 of tax payers money to do something that we can get from Europe for £50,000,000 cheaper? 

Will we start using “British” companies exclusively for everything? Most of them are owned by foreign companies anyway aren’t they? 

3 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

So once we have left the EU, would we pay a company an extra £50,000,000 of tax payers money to do something that we can get from Europe for £50,000,000 cheaper? 

Will we start using “British” companies exclusively for everything? Most of them are owned by foreign companies anyway aren’t they? 

That is not the point I was making, or the original comment I quoted - asking why it couldn't have been contracted to a country/company outside the EU.

2 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

That is not the point I was making, or the original comment I quoted - asking why it couldn't have been contracted to a country/company outside the EU.

Sorry Harry I wasn’t directing to only towards you, it’s more of an open question to consider ...