Whitby?

old'un

Off to Whitby, 4 nights short brake, stopping at the “Riviera Guesthouse YO21 3EL” never been to Whitby and had some good and bad reports, weather permitting looking for places to go/see and as its only B&B any recommendations on where to eat, heard the fish and chip are good?

Will be taking full weather proof clothing. (wife said I cannot take the gun):no:

Sadly it has gone downhill in the last few years. Totally rammed with people now. As said miss the magpie as there are loads of quality alternatives. On the plus side there are plenty of decent villages around eg runswick, staithes where you can escape the hoardes 

Go for a drink or 2 in the Jolly Sailors ,cheapest beer in Whitby and a good Sunday Dinner to boot.The chippy next along is also good food ,why queue for the Magpie when u dont have too.Cross the bridge and next to the Big sweet shop second row up on the left  is another good pub doing an amazing cheeseboard.The Italian near Capt Cooks house is a very good place to pass an evening too .atb

Edited by clakk

If the Steam Bus is running - well worth a ride. Staithes, Scarborough, Filey and Bridlington - all worth a visit. I too cannot comprehend the appeal of the Magpie. Not brilliant quality and vastly over-priced.

Have a good time - nice part of the country.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Off to Whitby, 4 nights short brake, stopping at the “Riviera Guesthouse YO21 3EL” never been to Whitby and had some good and bad reports, weather permitting looking for places to go/see and as its only B&B any recommendations on where to eat, heard the fish and chip are good?

Will be taking full weather proof clothing. (wife said I cannot take the gun)

The last time I stayed there dave ,they had just got rid of the mouse infestation, the rats ate them all !?,on the upside, I heard that they were thinking of buying a cat ?.

2 hours ago, clakk said:

Go for a drink or 2 in the Jolly Sailors ,cheapest beer in Whitby and a good Sunday Dinner to boot.The chippy next along is also good food ,why queue for the Magpie when u dont have too.Cross the bridge and next to the Big sweet shop second row up on the left  is another good pub doing an amazing cheeseboard.The Italian near Capt Cooks house is a very good place to pass an evening too .atb

Good god, you should be fatter than me ?. You should write travel guides for foodies like me ?.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Will be taking full weather proof clothing. (wife said I cannot take the gun)

Head inland..Eskdale,Rosedale,Pickering etc,all much more pleasant than Whitby !

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

The last time I stayed there dave ,they had just got rid of the mouse infestation, the rats ate them all !?,on the upside, I heard that they were thinking of buying a cat ?.

Good god, you should be fatter than me ?. You should write travel guides for foodies like me ?.

Gee-whiz Mel, thanks for that, :unhappy: should I take the air rifle just encase? :)

38 minutes ago, Mice! said:

you realise the schools finish for Easter tomorrow?? Likely to be kids everywhere, hope the east wind has finished her work and the weather is good for you.

Kids off, yep that’s why were not going till Sunday morning and coming back Thursday morning.:yes:

Mate if I can sit out pigeon shooting in some of the weather we have had over the last few weeks I’m sure a bit of north coast sea breeze is not going to stop me, I remember going to Fowey Cornwall a few years back (August) it chucked it down with rain for the whole week, we were the only people on the beach, mind you we did have our wax jackets and wellies on, so they will be going in the car.:good:

12 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Get a brownie point by taking your missis to get some whitbey jet interesting half day 

then go fishing for the next few days ?

have a good time 

all the best 

of 

Jet, Is that from the shops in Whitby or a trip out to a mine or something?

9 minutes ago, Ollieollie said:

You’ve let yourself slip a bit Dave, looking fat there

I know, its all them bloody pigeons I’m having to eat because your ferrets are not eating enough of them.;)

Melrose hotel. 

Link to guest house

We stopped there and brilliant review's very nice couple extremely welcoming and not too expensive. 

Be prepared to do some stiff walking up and down some steep hills, and avoid Goth weekend unless you are into that sort of thing. Must go tool's are Gothland, and get on the steam train to Pickering.  Visit Bram Stokers castle too. :good:

Edited by Dougy
Popped a link in

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Jet, Is that from the shops in Whitby or a trip out to a mine or something?

I know, its all them bloody pigeons I’m having to eat because your ferrets are not eating enough of them.;)

Famous for it there’s a shop and a mine although I don’t know if you’re still allowed to visit the mine aparrently the finest jet in the world comes from whitbey 

There,s about 7 Genuine Jet shops so ,pays your money and takes your choice.As Dougy said Goatland <Heartbeat country>is well worth the trip and Yes Mel if it weren,t for my manual job i,d be more round than a Weeble ,do love a good nosh .We have been in flooding and heatwaves its just a great place to visit and the rain isnt a big issue as there is so many indoor places.

Remember it doesnt rain in a pub:whistling: 

19 hours ago, Gordon R said:

If the Steam Bus is running - well worth a ride. Staithes, Scarborough, Filey and Bridlington - all worth a visit. I too cannot comprehend the appeal of the Magpie. Not brilliant quality and vastly over-priced.

Have a good time - nice part of the country.

Sold out of Whitby 2 years ago Gordon.
Had a couple of rides on her for her last season.

Magpie is not worth the wait, I agree, plenty of other good chippies around.