World Cup in Russia, yes or no?

panoma1

I am of the opinion that UK supporters shouldn't travel to Russia to support their national football team! I can't see how the Russians can guarantee their safety? The Russian fans have a reputation for violence (as in the past have ours!) I can't see the Russian authorities going out of their way to ensure violence doesn't happen! And can't see them intervening when (rather than if!) it does kick off!

On this basis I think the F A and H M Government should seriously consider boycotting the World Cup and call on our EU and allies to do the same!

What do others think?

The Russians I've spoken to, are besotted with the football violence that used to happen in the UK, they think that there is glory in having a fight at a football game. They say that most don't even follow the game, but just go for the fighting. Even before all the political unrest, I would never consider going to Russia to watch any football game, I value my life too much. I think that some fans are going to be coming home in a box.

I think it's important that British football fans should be represented in Russia.....sign0184.gif . If all  those convicted in the UK of football violence in the past 5 years were given free tickets and sent (by convoy) to the World Cup, would that help?....Perhaps not mmm? ...anim_61.gif

2 hours ago, Scully said:

First sentence of your initial post?

I wrote "I am of the opinion"...........that would be expression of my opinion! Nowhere did I suggest supporters shouldn't be free to choose for themselves! If they choose to go knowing the possible risks..........that's their decision!

Argumentative as ever I see!

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Argumentative as ever I see!

Only when it’s relevant. You suggested the FA and HMG and the EU nations should seriously consider boycotting the games. That doesn’t sound like you’re advocating freedom of choice; that sounds like quite the opposite! Unless I’ve read it wrong of course. 

I can’t understand adults who suggest other adults should or shouldn’t do anything, unless it’s already an offence of course. We’ve just had a small group of people telling Tesco they  shouldn’t be selling red ‘hunting’ costumes. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Only when it’s relevant. You suggested the FA and HMG and the EU nations should seriously consider boycotting the games. That doesn’t sound like you’re advocating freedom of choice; that sounds like quite the opposite! Unless I’ve read it wrong of course. 

I can’t understand adults who suggest other adults should or shouldn’t do anything, unless it’s already an offence of course. We’ve just had a small group of people telling Tesco they  shouldn’t be selling red ‘hunting’ costumes. 

Try living in this neck of the woods.  'Football Fanatics'  will tell you which newspapers to buy and even which football shirts to wear.  Should they disapprove, they will campaign to have them removed from shop shelves. Most Newsagents will NOT sell a particular newspaper, or,  it is kept hidden away under the counter.  You have to actually witness it to believe it.  So, a trip to Russia will seem like home from home to them  !  

4 minutes ago, Westley said:

Try living in this neck of the woods.  'Football Fanatics'  will tell you which newspapers to buy and even which football shirts to wear.  Should they disapprove, they will campaign to have them removed from shop shelves. Most Newsagents will NOT sell a particular newspaper, or,  it is kept hidden away under the counter.  You have to actually witness it to believe it.  So, a trip to Russia will seem like home from home to them  !  

That'll be the Sun, you're not missing much.