Rear diff magnet - Collecting swarf.

kennett

Just got my 14 plate Hilux serviced and MOT'd, at the bottom of the service sheet it notes that the rear diff magnet shows signs of collecting swarf. Is this something I need worry my self to death over or will it be ok? Truck has done 60,000 miles with a bit of towing and a bit of slogging about in the shoot

Is it first time fluid has been changed? Any undue whining or noise? 

If answer is yes and no I wouldn't worry. Just get it checked again at next service and take it from there. Unless there were big bits in there, then further investigation is probably warranted as soon as you can manage.

Did they show you what they found?

Edited by arm3000gt

A navara at work went to the main dealers for a service it was just under 3 years old but had done 110,000 miles so was out of warranty. They informed us that there was metal in the diff oil and wanted £6400 to replace the entire rear axle. Its now just under 200,000 miles and still on the original diff.

24 minutes ago, arm3000gt said:

Is it first time fluid has been changed? Any undue whining or noise? 

If answer is yes and no I wouldn't worry. Just get it checked again at next service and take it from there. Unless there were big bits in there, then further investigation is probably warranted as soon as you can manage.

Did they show you what they found?

They didn't even mention it, I just noticed when reading through the paperwork. I'm pretty sure it is the first time the oil has been changed and no noises, other than an annoying belt that squeaks when. It gets wet!

11 minutes ago, kennett said:

They didn't even mention it, I just noticed when reading through the paperwork. I'm pretty sure it is the first time the oil has been changed and no noises, other than an annoying belt that squeaks when. It gets wet!

Based on that I'd not even give it a second thought. If the swarf was significant they'd be advising for complete rebuild or further investigation at the very minimum. Just check the magnet again in the next 10- 20k for your piece of mind.