Are you British

Harnser

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently got my results from my ancestry dna test I am 30% Scandinavia 30% GB (narrowed down to northern England), 18% Western Europe, 11% Irish/Scottish and the remaining 11% not certain! I’ve dabbled in my family tree and it shows to be shipwrights  in east hull for nigh on 300 years on my dads side

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

That's genuinely interesting, so you think it is possible to be English and yet have non indigenous genes ? 

Ask any American? 

I think it's perfectly possible, I know black people who say they're English. 

It's not really about genes. 

Edited by Rewulf
Confused myself with my own answer!

7 minutes ago, mick miller said:

You're not 'indigenous' either, none of us are [cue claims that folk can trace themselves back to Alfred or something equally as daft].

No need to get tetchy, just curious, I actually happen to agree with you wholeheartedly, being English should be a state of mind and heart. Unfortunately I have seen and read much to the contrary as many see it differently. 

7 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ask any American? 

I think it's perfectly possible, I know black people who say they're English. 

It's not really about genes. 

:yes::good:

My son was born here and I have always taught him to be and feel British above all else, the only thing that has stopped me swapping the B for E is to save him the mockery of the patriotic geniuses of this world. 

10 minutes ago, Wilksy II said:

I recently got my results from my ancestry dna test I am 30% Scandinavia 30% GB (narrowed down to northern England), 18% Western Europe, 11% Irish/Scottish and the remaining 11% not certain! I’ve dabbled in my family tree and it shows to be shipwrights  in east hull for nigh on 300 years on my dads side

This. And, if you go back far enough, your ancestors are African. It's a question of how long your time frame is. I work on the simple basis that I was born here, I'm English. I hate the options British Pakistani etc. on forms. There shouldn't be degrees of British, English whatever, you either are or you aren't. If born here or naturalised you are, if not, you aren't.

2 minutes ago, Hamster said:

No need to get tetchy, just curious.

My apologies, a lifetime of dimwits thinking it's amusing to call me 'nazi' has left me with a disproportionate sensitivity to the subject perhaps.

3 minutes ago, mick miller said:

This. And, if you go back far enough, your ancestors are African. It's a question of how long your time frame is. I work on the simple basis that I was born here, I'm English. I hate the options British Pakistani etc. on forms. There shouldn't be degrees of British, English whatever, you either are or you aren't. If born here or naturalised you are, if not, you aren't.

My apologies, a lifetime of dimwits thinking it's amusing to call me 'nazi' has left me with a disproportionate sensitivity to the subject perhaps.

That's a disgrace. :no:

15 minutes ago, Wilksy II said:

I have a massive problem with these gene reports from the likes of ancestry. Com ect. 

Let's look at yours, 30% GB what does that even mean? especially when it says the north of England,  which was heavily colonised by those same nordic types you are supposedly 30 percent of. Western Europe 18% meaning Saxon ie Germanic? 

11% Scottish/ Irish, again areas heavily  colonized by the same Nordic Invaders, and 11% unsure, I'd ask for 11% of my money back! 

I think these tests are a waste of money, and a borderline con. 

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I have a massive problem with these gene reports from the likes of ancestry. Com ect. 

Let's look at yours, 30% GB what does that even mean? especially when it says the north of England,  which was heavily colonised by those same nordic types you are supposedly 30 percent of. Western Europe 18% meaning Saxon ie Germanic? 

11% Scottish/ Irish, again areas heavily  colonized by the same Nordic Invaders, and 11% unsure, I'd ask for 11% of my money back! 

I think these tests are a waste of money, and a borderline con. 

Yes I am a Viking!

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I can't see the attraction in these either.  Various of my ancestors have done family trees; that on my father's side is fully documented to about 1650 (and I am now the sole male descendant, the name dying out with me).  On my mothers side, it is shown (without much hard evidence and not in direct male line) back to Edward I.  My mothers family name died out when her father (my grandfather) died 43 years ago.

What amazes me is how people get really wound up about keeping the family name. I know of one family with four daughters and you can see through that I believe. Is it a big ego thing or what?

I am firstly English but that then makes me British ...United Kingdom appears to have replaced Great Britain because the numpties instruct that nobody should be 'great' we should all be equal.  Britains go back much further than English. If I remember my history Romans invaded Britain not England.   

56 minutes ago, mick miller said:

There is train of thought now that it may be out of Asia and may be not out of Africa.

And I'm Welsh. When I'm not in Wales (well sometime I do, for hilarity purpose)

I'm Scottish, otherwise (unless speaking to a Scottish person, or even sometime, if).

Nah, just kidding. I'm just a roman legionary.

Seriously, given my accent. *every* *single* *introduction* *i* *am* *ever* *involved* *with* starts with

Them: "Oh, you are french, where do you come from in france"?

Me: "Me, well, all over the place, I moved a lot, beside, I've been here 20 years anyway. I drink the beer, I even have the webbed feet as a local adaptation to the weather like everyone else.".

Them: "You know, my <insert some sort of family relation> has a house in <completely garbled french place name> it's such a lovely place. Do you know it?"

Me (have no idea what they are talking about): "Sure, fantastic place isn't it? too bad about the locals..."

Seriously, I actually now tell *anyone* to their face that I'm welsh/scotish/whatever comes to mind to NOT have that discussion anymore, because after the first few hundred times, it really gets on my nerves ;-)

The funny bit is, /some/ people  are too polite to question my scottishness/welshness. I love it when that happens :-)

So seriously, does it really matter where you come from? I feel a lot more British these days than French, I dream in english. I swear in english, I'm married to an english girl, my 'home' is here, my taxes are paid here and I have no intention of moving. I'm a lifetime member of the National Trust, and quite a few others. I /personally/ don't think the 'birthplace' is such a criterion, it's just plain luck anyway -- people mention they are 'proud to be' of XXX origin. How can they be *proud* of anything they weren't even involved with? it's not like they had a *choice* to come from XXX anyway. I can understand stating you are LUCKY to be of XXX origin, but 'proud' ? huh?