Are you British

Harnser

If I was asked my nationality I'd say "English". The Welsh (note spelling) and the Scots are rightfully proud enough to state their heritage and I see no reason why I shouldn't either. I'm not against being identified as being British, or from the UK but that's not how I identify myself. Obviously the most important thing is being from Yorkshire. :good:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Obviously the most important thing is being from Yorkshire. :good:

I’d agree with that! I’d even go so far as to tell people what village I’m from, regardless of where I am in the world, I guarantee they won’t have heard of it, but they feel like they visited by the time I’ve finished!

48 minutes ago, buze said:

And I'm Welsh. When I'm not in Wales (well sometime I do, for hilarity purpose)

I'm Scottish, otherwise (unless speaking to a Scottish person, or even sometime, if).

Nah, just kidding. I'm just a roman legionary.

Seriously, given my accent. *every* *single* *introduction* *i* *am* *ever* *involved* *with* starts with

Them: "Oh, you are french, where do you come from in france"?

Me: "Me, well, all over the place, I moved a lot, beside, I've been here 20 years anyway. I drink the beer, I even have the webbed feet as a local adaptation to the weather like everyone else.".

Them: "You know, my <insert some sort of family relation> has a house in <completely garbled french place name> it's such a lovely place. Do you know it?"

Me (have no idea what they are talking about): "Sure, fantastic place isn't it? too bad about the locals..."

Seriously, I actually now tell *anyone* to their face that I'm welsh/scotish/whatever comes to mind to NOT have that discussion anymore, because after the first few hundred times, it really gets on my nerves ;-)

The funny bit is, /some/ people  are too polite to question my scottishness/welshness. I love it when that happens :-)

So seriously, does it really matter where you come from? I feel a lot more British these days than French, I dream in english. I swear in english, I'm married to an english girl, my 'home' is here, my taxes are paid here and I have no intention of moving. I'm a lifetime member of the National Trust, and quite a few others. I /personally/ don't think the 'birthplace' is such a criterion, it's just plain luck anyway -- people mention they are 'proud to be' of XXX origin. How can they be *proud* of anything they weren't even involved with? it's not like they had a *choice* to come from XXX anyway. I can understand stating you are LUCKY to be of XXX origin, but 'proud' ? huh?

I think it's about being proud of what your ancestors built and maybe died protecting, the soil as it were, but as far as the rest of what you've said goes, I'm with you 100 %

8 hours ago, buze said:

So seriously, does it really matter where you come from? I feel a lot more British these days than French, I dream in english. I swear in english, I'm married to an english girl, my 'home' is here, my taxes are paid here and I have no intention of moving. I'm a lifetime member of the National Trust, and quite a few others. I /personally/ don't think the 'birthplace' is such a criterion, it's just plain luck anyway -- people mention they are 'proud to be' of XXX origin. How can they be *proud* of anything they weren't even involved with? it's not like they had a *choice* to come from XXX anyway. I can understand stating you are LUCKY to be of XXX origin, but 'proud' ? huh?

On the money, how anyone can be proud of something they haven't done is beyond me :| even if you could dictate to the earths' atoms where you get formed :lol: to feel predisposed to some kind of edge over others suggests you have at your disposal a complete encyclopedic knowledge and comprehension of all other peoples and their achievements.

Having said that I am fond of the saying : if it ain't from yarkshire it's s.........te. :lol:

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

What amazes me is how people get really wound up about keeping the family name. I know of one family with four daughters and you can see through that I believe. Is it a big ego thing or what?

I am firstly English but that then makes me British ...United Kingdom appears to have replaced Great Britain because the numpties instruct that nobody should be 'great' we should all be equal.  Britains go back much further than English. If I remember my history Romans invaded Britain not England.   

I have been known when asked where I come from when abroad to state United Kingdom of Great Britain ?? ?.  I was born in Westminster within London as were my parents and grandparents but Directly after birth was taken back to Malta where my parents had been living for a few years.  At 4 yrs we moved to Wales where my parents still live so in truth Wales is my home and if I had to choose, Wales would be my country and my emotional connection is there rather than England.  

9 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

If I was asked my nationality I'd say "English". The Welsh (note spelling) and the Scots are rightfully proud enough to state their heritage and I see no reason why I shouldn't either. I'm not against being identified as being British, or from the UK but that's not how I identify myself. Obviously the most important thing is being from Yorkshire. :good:

DM you put it more eloquently than i ever could, Yorkshire born Yorkshire bred, strong in'th arm and great in bed +1

13 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Are you sure they said celt? :lol:

Rewulf, I'm sure that's what they said, mind you I am hard of hearing Lol.  I read somewhere that Celts were short,stocky and exceedingly good looking, me to a tee:lol:

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

European Union and single market, and then we can steer our own way and maybe make it Great Britain again.

Yes leave the EU and I'm all for that, the quicker the better.

But we will always be in the continent of Europe. The previous statement from oowee just reminded me of the laughable statements like - we won't be able to compete in the euro cup anymore if we leave the EU.

I was mearly pointing out that we will always be European just not a member of the EU.

13 minutes ago, tonker said:

Rewulf, I'm sure that's what they said, mind you I am hard of hearing Lol.  I read somewhere that Celts were short,stocky and exceedingly good looking, me to a tee:lol:

Im sure they did really :lol:

Im my humble opinion, some of the best looking people in the UK ,and world for that matter, are the Welsh.
They have that dark hair ,light eye thing going on, with sultry looks, what I imagine to be the Celtic gene ?

11 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes leave the EU and I'm all for that, the quicker the better.

But we will always be in the continent of Europe. The previous statement from oowee just reminded me of the laughable statements like - we won't be able to compete in the euro cup anymore if we leave the EU.

I was mearly pointing out that we will always be European just not a member of the EU.

Im sure oowee meant it light heartedly :rolleyes:
However.
Any bright sparks out there who believe themselves to be an EU citizen first, and a UK citizen second, might want to practice what they preach.

And when they fall on hard times, claim EU social security payments.
When they get ill, use the EU NHS.
If they get in trouble abroad, use the EU consulate for assistance.
And when they retire ,claim their EU pension.

Let me know how you get on..