Are you British

Harnser

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I have a massive problem with these gene reports from the likes of ancestry. Com ect. 

Let's look at yours, 30% GB what does that even mean? especially when it says the north of England,  which was heavily colonised by those same nordic types you are supposedly 30 percent of. Western Europe 18% meaning Saxon ie Germanic? 

11% Scottish/ Irish, again areas heavily  colonized by the same Nordic Invaders, and 11% unsure, I'd ask for 11% of my money back! 

I think these tests are a waste of money, and a borderline con. 

+1

I did a bit of research On DNA testing , 

they are only as good as their databases - 2 companies will give different results

They  can accurately tell which continent your ancestors are from , the country is pushing it and the town is total BS!!

I did a bit of research On DNA testing , 

they are only as good as their databases - 2 companies will give different results

They  can accurately tell which continent your ancestors are from , the country is pushing it and the town is total BS!

I agree totally meaningless useless information, a good way to get money from mugs IMO. 

35 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

when i used to fill in green card onplane goin to usa i always filled in nationality-english,pasport united kingdom. never british.

What would Americans know. :)

Is English or British a nationality?
A UK passport describes its holder as a "British citizen". According to British nationality law all citizens of the UK have British nationality

20 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

ok so if your born in wales your british an not welsh?

You are a British citizen if you are born in the United kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland.  

Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain - YouTube

Edited by ordnance

45 minutes ago, ordnance said:

You are a British citizen if you are born in the United kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland.  

Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain - YouTube

That's where you're wrong. I was born in the North of Ireland, which makes me an Irish citizen. I've also never been asked if I'm british when on holiday. Everyone automatically identifies us as Irish. You do occasionally see people from here reacting angrily because they are 'mistakenly' perceived as Irish. It's quite funny to watch in fairness. Insecurity runs deep within so-called 'british' communities over here.

40 minutes ago, Cannon said:

That's where you're wrong. I was born in the North of Ireland, which makes me an Irish citizen. I've also never been asked if I'm british when on holiday. Everyone automatically identifies us as Irish. You do occasionally see people from here reacting angrily because they are 'mistakenly' perceived as Irish. It's quite funny to watch in fairness. Insecurity runs deep within so-called 'british' communities over here.

No you were born in Northern Ireland you ignoring that fact won't change it,  that being the case after the good Friday agreement you can have Irish or British citizenship, or dual British Irish Citizenship. Before that if you were born in Northern Ireland / UK you were a British citizen like it or not.  I am a British citizen and not at all Insecure being a British citizen living in Northern Ireland, you can be what you want you want a Irish citizen good.:good: I suggest you watch the video again to educate yourself before posting.  PS i am not getting into a debate on the NI question i base my onions on facts not denial or wishful thinking. 

Edited by ordnance

24 minutes ago, ordnance said:

No you live in Northern Ireland you ignoring that fact won't change it,  that being the case after the good Friday agreement you can have Irish or British citizenship, or dual British Irish Citizenship. Before that if you were born in Northern Ireland / UK you were a British citizen like it or not.  I am a British citizen and not at all Insecure being a British citizen living in Northern Ireland, you can be what you want you want a Irish citizen good. I suggest you watch the video again to educate yourself before posting.  PS i am not getting into a debate on the NI question i base my onions on facts not denial or wishful thinking. 

Becoming irate and defensive are we? You're telling me you're not insecure? I rest my case. Like it or not, I am and always have been a legitimate Irish citizen, as have hundreds of thousands of others living in this part of Ireland. In fact according to statistics, it won't be long before those who perceive themselves to be british in this part of Ireland are in the minority. The clock is ticking.

18 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Becoming irate and defensive are we? You're telling me you're not insecure? I rest my case. Like it or not, I am and always have been a legitimate Irish citizen, as have hundreds of thousands of others living in this part of Ireland. In fact according to statistics, it won't be long before those who perceive themselves to be british in this part of Ireland are in the minority. The clock is ticking.

If you find facts offensive there is nothing i can do about that, legitimate as you see it and legal are two different things. I am not playing your game of trying to turn a innocent debate into sectarian slagging match and getting the thread closed. As i said you be want you want and i will do the same, nothing else to debate goodbye.

Edited by ordnance

Quite interesting how some perceive themselves. I’ve grown up to believe all UK citizens are defined as British, but is that your nationality? I’m British and born in England, therefore any necessary filling of forms is written as British/ English, or vice versa. I’m not sure it really matters but it is what it is. 

The one thing we have in common is that we all speak English, not British. Where did that come from? We consist of Celts and Gauls, the latter of which is French I believe. I am quite envious of those who can speak gaelic however, but must admit Latin sounds pretty cool too. We also have a Scandinavian influence via the Vikings. I genuinely find it all fascinating; we are a melting pot of other nationalities. 

The Yanks speak English ( well most of them ) but with an American accent. 

Stereotyping describes a red haired, green eyed, pale freckled skinned person as nothing other than Irish or Scottish, although I know a couple who aren’t, and my OH has been mistaken for Irish on a few occasions ( black hair but skin like alabaster which burns easily ) and I’ve often been mistaken for a local when in Italy or Greece.....or a terrorist when going through customs in any country! ?

Interesting stuff. 

Half Welsh half English, call myself English as I was born in England and have lived the English side of the border all my life.

When abroad say i’m British as many foreign peoples dont get it if you say English, we did have some American ladies ask where is the United Kingdom when they asked my wife and I where we are from.

58 minutes ago, powler said:

Half Welsh half English, call myself English as I was born in England and have lived the English side of the border all my life.

When abroad say i’m British as many foreign peoples dont get it if you say English, we did have some American ladies ask where is the United Kingdom when they asked my wife and I where we are from.

To which you replied    Narnia.

British, born in England but family heritage from across GB, spent most of my childhood between england and wales, then subsequently worked and studied across the whole of the UK plus the isle of man.

When the rugby is on I tend to cheer for England (English Rugby put a lot of money into the school I went to), then wherever I am living at the time is second choice.

On 3/23/2018 at 22:17, Danger-Mouse said:

If I was asked my nationality I'd say "English". The Welsh (note spelling) and the Scots are rightfully proud enough to state their heritage and I see no reason why I shouldn't either. I'm not against being identified as being British, or from the UK but that's not how I identify myself. Obviously the most important thing is being from Yorkshire. :good:

:good::good:

On 3/24/2018 at 08:19, Winston72 said:

DM you put it more eloquently than i ever could, Yorkshire born Yorkshire bred, strong in'th arm and great in bed +1

:):good:

On 3/24/2018 at 09:30, Penelope said:

I always thought is was 'thick in't ead'.

That was made up by Southern pansies!:innocent:

On 3/24/2018 at 10:43, Newbie to this said:

We can't leave Europe, so you will always be European.

Sadly..................