Are you British

Harnser

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 23/03/2018 at 18:35, Harnser said:

or are you English ,Scottish ,Irish or Welsh  I like to think I am British ,when abroad I wil always state that I am British from the United Kingdom .

harnser

Both ....  English and British. I use the terms interchangeably without much thought.

Edited by Smokersmith

19 hours ago, ordnance said:

after the good Friday agreement you can have Irish or British citizenship, or dual British Irish Citizenship. Before that if you were born in Northern Ireland / UK you were a British citizen like it or not.   

Is that correct? I never knew that. Interesting position post Brexit to have a foot in both camps.

11 hours ago, Scully said:

Quite interesting how some perceive themselves. I’ve grown up to believe all UK citizens are defined as British, but is that your nationality? I’m British and born in England, therefore any necessary filling of forms is written as British/ English, or vice versa. I’m not sure it really matters but it is what it is. 

The one thing we have in common is that we all speak English, not British. Where did that come from? We consist of Celts and Gauls, the latter of which is French I believe. I am quite envious of those who can speak gaelic however, but must admit Latin sounds pretty cool too. We also have a Scandinavian influence via the Vikings. I genuinely find it all fascinating; we are a melting pot of other nationalities. 

It is fascinating and I think where you identify your origin is in part influenced by who you are with at the time. I get the impression the Americans mostly know England, Scotland or Wales rather than British?

I think polish is now the second language in England. I just wish I could speak more than a spattering of other languages as understanding languages gives a great incite into your own culture.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Is that correct? I never knew that. Interesting position post Brexit to have a foot in both camps.

Yes you can have a British and Irish passport and use whatever one you want.

About 500,000 people in Northern Ireland are thought to already have an Irish passport, and under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement anyone living there may hold both Irish and British passports

This group, technically foreign passport holders in a UK jurisdiction, will be treated as naturalised but will also have a suite of rights associated with being an EU citizen, including freedom of movement rights to travel, work and settle in another member state.

Edited by ordnance

According to the story the old man tells were related back to a French Baron that came over with William the Conqueror. Whether that’s true or not I doubt I’ll ever find out. Maybe I should maybe there’s an ancestral chateau waiting to be claimed! According to some family tree stuff my gran did we’re not many generations away from from water Gypsy nail makers from Dudley. So maybe I’m related back to the Peaky Blinders. And then there was also my Great Great grandad (I think there’s enough greats in there. Maybe one more) who had an affair with a racehorse trainers wife and Ran off to be a jockey in South Africa and ended up champion flat jockey over there for a while. Personally I’m England but lived in wales for 15 years and considered myself welsh by the time I left. I even used my supreme grasp of the welsh language to seduce my wife...araf...ysgol...popdyping!!!

Edited by Benthejockey

48 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

According to the story the old man tells were related back to a French Baron that came over with William the Conqueror. Whether that’s true or not I doubt I’ll ever find out. Maybe I should maybe there’s an ancestral chateau waiting to be claimed! According to some family tree stuff my gran did we’re not many generations away from from water Gypsy nail makers from Dudley. So maybe I’m related back to the Peaky Blinders. And then there was also my Great Great grandad (I think there’s enough greats in there. Maybe one more) who had an affair with a racehorse trainers wife and Ran off to be a jockey in South Africa and ended under champion flat jockey over there for a while. Personally I’m England but lived in wales for 15 years and considered myself welsh by the time I left. I even used my supreme grasp of the welsh language to seduce my wife...araf...ysgol...popdyping!!!

? It really is fascinating. My Grandma on my Fathers side, was born when Jack the Ripper was doing his rounds. She lived to see a man walk on the moon and the first flight of Concorde. 

I remembered her telling me she was related to either Marks or Spencer ( I could never remember which ) of that famous retail outlet, and just recently a friend of mine who is seriously into genealogy discovered she was in fact related to the latter! I’ve tried to claim some complimentary underpants as a relative, but so far no joy! ?

Born in England to more or less English parents. I don't really refer to myself as anything, but I guess on a form I'd put British if it asks for nationality. 

One thing I have never got is the whole 'proud to be...' thing, proud of what exactly, that your parents happened to **** on a certain grid reference? :lol:

I do sometimes feel grateful to be a British person living in Britain, as opposed to for example, Syrian, and fortunate (if that's the right word, considering I work hard for it) enough to live in a very nice area, with few of many of the problems we hear so much about nowadays (and many people own this forum experience) on more or less a daily basis. 

You tell me.

One lot of distant ancestors came here in longships from Norway. Another lot came from what is now Germany. One lot were Border Rievers and neither Scots nor English whilst others were Scots transported to Ireland and who only left Ireland comparatively recently!

It could have been worse though. I could have been born French.

You can send off DNA samples if you are curious. I got given one from https://www.myheritage.com for Christmas, I think they are about £65. Turns out I'm 75% English, 6% Irish,  7% Iberian, 4% Finnish, and then a bit of North African and Middle Eastern for good measure. 0% Alien sadly.

It's not got superb resolution, but I think in time with more data and markers discovered it will become more detailed.

36 minutes ago, Teal said:

You can send off DNA samples if you are curious. I got given one from https://www.myheritage.com for Christmas, I think they are about £65. Turns out I'm 75% English, 6% Irish,  7% Iberian, 4% Finnish, and then a bit of North African and Middle Eastern for good measure. 0% Alien sadly.

It's not got superb resolution, but I think in time with more data and markers discovered it will become more detailed.

I wonder if Australians use these sorts of sampling set ups, might have some interesting answers!

5 hours ago, Teal said:

That's going to confuse the guy who goes around telling people you're the head of an Irish conspiracy group...

As one of your "Irish henchmen" I'd best not point out that by birth and parentage I'm three quarters English and one quarter Scots or he might end up looking a right prat.

I class myself as English, my grandmother on my dads side was born in Belfast, came here when she was about ten years old.My grandfather on my fathers side was from scotland, my grandfather on my mothers side  was from Swansea,he sayed on the wirral when he left the army after ww1,and somewere down the line the is a Spanish conection,in my neck of the woods a true Englishman is a rarity.

1 minute ago, gemini52 said:

a true Englishman is a rarity.

What on earth is a true Englishman? 

If you could accurately trace your blood line back 1000 years, a virtual impossibility, you would be what? Saxon? A Dane? Or something else? 

This is what gets me about these DNA tests, surely there can be no such  genetic line as 'English' 

It's like 'being' Spanish or French, we in western Europe are just a mish mash of each other, with a little North African, west African and Turkic. 

It's a fascinating subject when you think about it. 

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

What on earth is a true Englishman? 

If you could accurately trace your blood line back 1000 years, a virtual impossibility, you would be what? Saxon? A Dane? Or something else? 

This is what gets me about these DNA tests, surely there can be no such  genetic line as 'English' 

It's like 'being' Spanish or French, we in western Europe are just a mish mash of each other, with a little North African, west African and Turkic. 

It's a fascinating subject when you think about it. 

I forgot to say i have duypertrons contracture,its a thickning of the tendons in my hands,it comes from the vikings my dad had it to so the could be an irish connection.

Might have one of those DNA tests done just to see what's what. Our family history is a bit sketchy on my Dad's side and can't trace it back very far, but on my Mum's side it can be traced back to the Norman conquests. Before that, the name came from Normandy, so I'm probably a bit French 1000 or so years ago. :sick: But a lot of the Normans were from Scandinavia, so who knows?

7 hours ago, Teal said:

Err no. Read up a bit on the subject and you will find that the science is not exact, due to the different databases held by the individual companies doing the testing and the methodology and science involved. Try a test with a different company and you will most probably get a different result.

Plus science is no longer pure and no longer absolute. Think global warming data being manipulated for political ends. It wouldn't surprise me if these companies took coin from Soros and the globalists to slip in a few percent of more ethnic genes to make you think that biologically you are more multicultural than the european you had suspected.