toontastic

News today that lidl have become the last major retailer to agree to stop selling kangaroo meat.

Animal rights campaigners targeted all major retailers to end the stocking of kangaroo, if the shops are going to give in to these demands to stock certain meat products on the grounds of them being cute and cuddly then they should stop selling all meat products totally

Whether it tastes nice or not is irrelevant, the point is that yet again a major retailer withdraws a product to appease a minority group.

Would same retailers withdraw lamb or chicken products if the same minority group objected to there sale, I think not as it would hit profits.

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

The kangaroos will still be shot. Either left to rot or dog food I guess.

My mates been over to shoot them quite a few times. The guides hes been with won't feed them to the dogs as they are full of worms or some such. 

And they taste **** anyway :sick:

Edited by strimmer_13

4 minutes ago, amateur said:

I suspect that is nothing at all to do with animal rights, more to do with relatively small sales not worth the perceived potential aggro.

Animal rights group viva are claiming credit for spearheading the campaign to remove kangaroo from sale in British supermarkets.

2 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Animal rights group viva are claiming credit for spearheading the campaign to remove kangaroo from sale in British supermarkets.

Well, they can claim the credit, but if it was valuable business, I think they might have had a fight on

50 minutes ago, bluesj said:

kangaroo is not to bad, wouldn't be my first chose but crocodile is horrible! 

I agree Crocodile is awful in taste and  texture IMO , Kangaroo is good and some cuts are better than others just like our beef steaks. I will compare  the different cuts later this year when we visit famly for a few weeks again.

Edited by Good shot?

44 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Whether it tastes nice or not is irrelevant, the point is that yet again a major retailer withdraws a product to appease a minority group.

Would same retailers withdraw lamb or chicken products if the same minority group objected to there sale, I think not as it would hit profits.

This. But OH has pointed out that if it’s a niche market then vocal minorities can have a major effect, which makes sense. 

Edited by Scully

55 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Lidl have a track record of appeasement they have been caught doctoring images of churches on their products to remove crosses lest it offends. Last year in Germany they pulled a stunt with empty shelves in their supermarkets with posters saying that this is what it would be like without migrants. They are right on liberals.

12 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

My mates been over to shoot them quite a few times. The guides hes been with won't feed them to the dogs as they are full of worms or some such. 

And they taste **** anyway :sick:

I meant dog food factory where the meat is cooked. That kills any worms.

I've eaten it, taste was OK but it was my first attempt at cooking it and it was like schewing a rubber band. I assumed that was why they were so bouncy.